Skip to content

Are Khalid and Jaheira gone forever if you do not recruit them before solving the Nashkel Mines?

DragonRiderDragonRider Member Posts: 43
I started a new game, and went to the Friendly Arm in to speak to Dorn. Both Khalid and Jaheira were there, but I did not speak with them as I wanted to complete the quests for the new NPCs before I recruited them. I thought I'd try to rush the main plot to gain access the areas needed to finish up Dorn's and Rasaad's quests, and then recruit the NPCs I wanted to complete the game with. Unfortunately, when I later returned to the Friendly Arm Inn (after having resolved the Nashkel Mine crisis, and learning the general location of the bandits), Khalid and Jaheira are gone.

Is this normal? Are they gone forever if you don't recruit them before resolving the Nashkel Mines?

I tried using the CLUACONSOLE to create them again, but the game throws an error and crashes after I spawn them.

EDIT: The error and crash only occur when I try to spawn them with the CLUACONSOLE inside the Friendly Arm Inn. When I used the command outside of the Inn, they spawned normally and I was able to recruit them.

However, after recruiting them, I got the quest to go visit Nashkel and speak to Berrun Ghastkill. This has me a bit concerned because now that the mines are cleared, Berrun Ghastkill is no longer in Nashkel (or anywhere else in the game as far as I know). Will Khalid and Jaheira get angry and leave my group at some point since I can not speak to Berrun Ghastkill?
Post edited by DragonRider on

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    yup, that be the scenario, if you complete nashkiel mines, they wont be there, and I believe monty and xzar wont be either ( if you didn't pick them up), but what you can do is, recruit them, then kick them out instantly, and that might keep them around a bit ( or keep them until they speak to the mayor in nashkiel and then kick them out, and that should keep them around for good)
  • DragonRiderDragonRider Member Posts: 43
    @Sarevok57

Thanks for the quick answer. To confirm, I went to the place where you recruit Xzar and Montaron and they are gone as well if you don't recruit them before completing the Nashkel Mines. Good to know. I'll have to remember that about those 4 NPCs.

I really want to play the "cannon" party this play through, so I guess I'll just start a new game then. I'll make sure to use your suggestion of recruiting them, talking to Berrun Ghastkill, and kicking them out. Thankfully, I haven't done too much in the game yet, so it won't be too painful to start over.
    edited October 2013
    Are there any other NPCs that disappear or can no longer be recruited if you don't recruit them before completing a certain quest?

I know Yeslick falls under this category.
    [Spoiler]
    If you don't recruit Yeslick before flooding the Cloakwood Mine, he cannot be recruited.

Also, don't kick anyone out of your group while Inside the Cloakwood Mine. Any NPC that is in the mine but not in your group when you flood the mine, can never be recruited again.
    [/Spoiler]

What about Faldorn?
    [Spoiler]
    Can she be recruited if you have already removed the Iron Throne from the Cloakwood?
    [/Spoiler]

What about Eldoth?
    [Spoiler]
    Can he be recruited if you have already gone to Skie's room and either killed her or scared her off?
    [/Spoiler]

What about Coran?
    [Spoiler]
    Can he be recruited if you have already killed the Wyverns he is hunting?
    [/Spoiler]

What about Safana?
    [Spoiler]
    Can she be recruited if you have already claimed the treasure she is searching for?
    [/Spoiler]

I believe you can still recruit Minsc and Edwin even if you have completed their quests (please correct me if I am wrong though).

Did I miss any other NPC that has a quest?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    Just recruited Safana after stealing the treasure in the Cave. Her "quest completion banter" appeared just after recruting her.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459

I really want to play the "cannon" party this play through, so I guess I'll just start a new game then. I'll make sure to use your suggestion of recruiting them, talking to Berrun Ghastkill, and kicking them out

Just be aware that once you recruit a NPC, he or she will no longer have their level adjusted to match yours. So if you dismiss Khalid and Jaheira early in the game and come back for them at, say, level 5 or 6, they will be at level 1, same as when they first joined.

edited October 2013
    @thespace

Thank you for the correction regarding Yeslick.

@Loremaster

Thank you for testing Safana.

@Kilivitz

Good to know. I guess having them a few levels or behind is better than not being able to recruit them at all. Thankfully there's a lot of XP to be earned in this game that I won't have to worry about them not reaching their maximum level. Also, by the time I go back for them I should hopefully have collected some decent gear that will help make up for them still being level.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    I imagine Eldoth would not work. Maybe you could pick him up, but he would probably leave since you cannot complete his quest.

Feel free to correct me on anything here, but here's what I can remember:
    Branwen leaves for good if you reject her (though this may be a result of reaction).
    I think Vinconia leaves for good.
    Xzar and Monty will wait if your reaction is good enough, I believe (and if it's not and you tell them you have friends to meet, they'll tell you to stuff it).
    I'm almost positive you can pick up Ajantis if you reject him.
    Minsc and Edwin you can take if you already rescued Dynaheir (interestingly, I've also been able to recruit him once I've murdered Dynaheir with Edwin in the party... You'd think Edwin would say something there that would provoke a fight... Also, I've gotten Minsc to putter off on his own quest which was pretty funny).
    I THINK you can reject Garrick and he'll wait (though I am least sure about this).
    Alora is a one-time thing.
    Imoen you can't get if you reject.
    Skie is only if you have Eldoth (meaning you only get the one shot, since he'll leave without her at that point and vice versa).

I never outright reject NPCs unless I'm testing. Usually I'll accept them and then immediately remove them from the party.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I think Garrick is gone forever, unless he shows up somewhere and didn't feel like letting me know.
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Er...that depends what you mean by "gone" and "forever". Technically you find Khalid on a table in BG2.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Not a major loss. You still got Minsc and Dynaheir to recruit as a couple.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited October 2013

Er...that depends what you mean by "gone" and "forever". Technically you find Khalid on a table in BG2.

That's how I prefer Khalid.
    edited October 2013
    rdarken said:

Imoen you can't get if you reject.

If I may correct you, you actually can't reject Imoen. She joins the party even if you tell her to "get her pointy nose back to Candlekeep". If you dump her, she stays put.

Talk about devotion.
    Really? Maybe it's reaction based?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I'm pretty sure I used to be able to reject her and she would stay put (rather than actively leave), but in the beta at least she forced her way into the 'party' regardless. I might be remembering wrong, it might have been changed, or it might have been reaction based. (In the beta file I was a LE 9-rep with 18 CHA).
    I've just fired up vanilla BG1 (I keep it installed out of nostalgia) and rolled a Chaotic Evil char with 3 CHA, which gives me a -8 reaction modifier. Gave Imoen the rude answer both in Candlekeep and at the start of Chapter One. She still joins.
    Thanks for checking!