Skip to content

Question about available content after chapter 3.

Hi all

So this is my noob question. I'm level 4, just cleared the Nashkel Mines and finished chapter 2 and I want to recruit Kivan at this point. Can I clear out the Bandid Camp, finish chapter 3 and then go back south and do all those things around Nashkel and other places that I could do right now? Or will some of that content be closed to me after finishing chapter 3?

I'm asking because I've read about Kivan's quest and the timer on that.

Thanks.

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited October 2013
    There won't be any content that is closed, you'll always be able to return even in later chapters. There are only two exceptions, they do come with a tiny spoiler tag but nothing that in anyway will ruin your game or take away the suprise.

1.) When you're done with the cloakwood mine, you won't be able to return to it later on.

2.) When you're done with the 'tropical' island, you won't be able to return to it later on.

Everything else you can come back to whenever you want.

Added real spoiler tags. -Jalily

[Edited] : Thank you for adding a spoiler tag, Jalily.
    Post edited by SionIV on
  • NikomakkosNikomakkos Member Posts: 44
    Great, thanks!
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited October 2013
    Kivan's "quest" simply involves reaching Chapter 4 within a certain time after you recruit him. You have 20 days starting in Chapter 1, 14 days starting in Chapter 2, and 7 days starting in Chapter 3. If you recruit him after Chapter 3, he just won't leave (you'll miss nothing).

Encounters you could miss if you don't reach them before you finish Chapter 3:
    - Officer Vai at the Jovial Juggler (and Chloe, the girl in Beregost who tells you she's there)
    - Elminster by Thunderhammer Smithy
    - A bandit group led by Deke south of the Friendly Arm Inn
    - A bandit group led by Raiken in Peldvale
    - A bandit group led by Teven in Larswood
    elminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013
    Jalily said:

Kivan's "quest" simply involves reaching Chapter 4 within a certain time after you recruit him. You have 20 days starting in Chapter 1, 14 days starting in Chapter 2, and 7 days starting in Chapter 3. If you recruit him after Chapter 3, he just won't leave (you'll miss nothing).

Encounters you could miss if you don't reach them before you finish Chapter 3:

- Officer Vai at the Jovial Juggler (and Chloe, the girl in Beregost who tells you she's there)
    - Elminster by Thunderhammer Smithy
    - A bandit group led by Deke south of the Friendly Arm Inn
    - A bandit group led by Raiken in Peldvale
    - A bandit group led by Teven in Larswood
    Missing Elminster is always a great shame. I hear he is the life of the party! :p

Personally I've often forgotten about the 3rd thing Jalily listed. Thankfully though you shouldn't miss anything major if you do happen to miss some of these encounters (other than the ones Sion listed).
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    edited October 2013
    You'll probably find that the farther maps are from the main storyline path, the harder the encounters are, anyway (with a few exceptions). The maps along the coast and on the eastern edge can be very challenging if you go there in the early chapters.

Typically my recommendation for newer players is to stick to the direct line path until finishing Chapter 2, then do the maps adjacent to the direct line during Chapter 3. Once you are in Chapter 4, you should be strong enough to finish all the maps south of Nashkel. Chapter 5 you can do all the edges and Chapter 7 is the best time to do the TOTSC content. Again, just my opinion. :)

In some games I have zipped through to Chapter 4 quickly to pick up certain NPCs while they are lower level, and in other games I have done all the TOTSC content immediately in Chapter 5. My suggestion above just tends to put you against enemies about the time you have the levels and gear to beat them.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    It's probably also worth mentioning that once you kill the final boss, you can't go back and do anything else.