Skip to content

[Bug] Sitting Commoners Moved, v1.0.2028

BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
edited October 2013 in The Road to v1.2
Hi,

I posted about this bug in the Phase III thread, but I'm sure it's been overlooked because of the overflow of posts that suddenly happened, so I'm giving the bug its own personal thread instead.

I'm also interested to know if other players have come across the same thing, because while I find the bug in different saved games, the commoners that are affected vary.

In the Inn called "Tavern and Inn" in the southern west part of Baldur's Gate, just south of the Flaming Fist Compound, many sitting commoners have managed to move away from their seats. I killed the paladin Phandalyn here earlier, so the commoners might have moved because of the battle?

Either way it's a bug. The commoners are not excused just because people start fighting.

Found more sitting commoners that have moved. Can't seem to find any of them outside of SW Baldur's Gate, though.

The first image is by the Flaming Fist Compound and the second image is by Ye Olde Inn.

imageimage

A mob of other players (led by @elminster) seemed to think that these commoners were simply doing yoga or pilates, or that they were victims of failed transmutation spells, but I disagree. :)

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    :D

Yes its a bug.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    It's all an illusion!
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    This happened to me too in central BG. Just outside the marketplace game tents. BG residents must be a flexible bunch with all that yoga going on.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    @Dee Could this bug also be caused by my using a save that was originally from 2014, like here?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Possibly, but if anyone is able to reproduce it with a new game it's still worth knowing about.
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    My game is new @Dee.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Dee said:

Possibly, but if anyone is able to reproduce it with a new game it's still worth knowing about.

I started a new game with the second latest beta update and saw this too.

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Yeah, static animations are placed in unreachable area.
    They are marked as not bumpable (hardcoded no-bump flag tied to animations), then the engine bumps them (occasionally).
    Still didn't figure out when they get the bump.
    @Avenger_teambg So the fact that I had a fight with Phandalyn in the tavern shouldn't have anything to do with the moved commoners?
    edited October 2013
    Hmm, that's probably a good clue. If they have any script assigned (they shouldn't), they would probably try to move. Even though their speed is set to 0, they might get bumped in the movement code.
    If this works, you'll get the bounty reward :)
    [edit]
    They got a useless script, that's true.
    But when i start a fight in there, the commoners get very excited, but don't move.
    There must be some unknown factor still.
  • barbarabarbara Member Posts: 30
    I have not seen this specific bug, but I have seen sitting commoners getting excited (as Avenger_teambg calls it). Sometimes after a fight, the animations of sitting commoners speed up.
    edited October 2013
    I think I've confirmed that it's the fighting that caused the commoners to move. However, you never see them move, because they only relocate themselves when you leave the building.

Steps:
    1. Load the attached saved game.
    2. Enter the tavern.
    3. The paladin Phandalyn will approach you and attack you.
    4. Kill Phandalyn.
    5. Exit the tavern.
    6. Enter the tavern.
    7. Notice that some of the sitting commoners have moved.

I'd like to note that one may also just initiate combat with one of the commoners in the tavern to reproduce this; Phandalyn is not specifically needed.

BTW: In my original post I included two screenshots of sitting commoners outside of the tavern. Their bug seems to be unrelated to the tavern's commoners, as they are misplaced already before I start a fight in the tavern.
    Post edited by Basillicum on
    @Avenger_teambg Forgot to tag you in the post above, so adding this post just to notify you.
    Don't expect a patch for this in 1.2
    When we figure out what caused it, we might post a hotfix for it.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    That's a shame. Its exactly the type of noncritical but highly visible bug that leads people to assume 'the game is full of bugs', even when it isn't.