Skip to content

Creatures are making sounds when iddle (BG1 style)

O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
In BG1 monsters/creatures/non-joinable NPCs were often randomly making their characteristic sounds when standing iddle (possibly while not only staying iddle), and you could hear those sounds, while not seeing creature that is making them (ex. group of hobgoblins in the fog of war, etc.). But this is not present in BG2 engine, which is "base" for the BG:EE engine.

My request is to change it to BG1 style, because I think it was really cool and it gave the game the mood. Hearing Ankghegs off-screen, random citizens in cities or Sarevok in undersity temple ("I do not fear death, do you?")
Bhryaeng314WardThe_New_RomanceLadyRhian

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    You should report this as a bug because any inconsistencies or loss of data between the conversion could easily be overlooked by the team. @Bhryaen is doing an epic job organizing the fixes/bug forums.

However, I should mention on my EasyTutu version I do get 'some' of these sound effects. Do you use EasyTutu or BGT?
    O_Bruce
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited July 2012
    It is a bug? Never knew about that. But I will report it as a bug, then.

I'm BGT user.
    Well it may not be a bug. It's hard to know. If you've found it only does this using BGT then it is something to do with BGT. I don't have this problem (that I can think) on EasyTutu.

That being said, it may not be the conversion from BG1 - BG2, it might just be BGT has a few catches.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    If so, maybe there is no need to report is as a bug, specifically... If it works in TuTu, and not BGT, then BGT may just have this problem.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @Ward
    Although I totally support this request- one of the numerous BG1nesses that should not have been jettisoned to produce BG2- it's not a bug issue. But I do hope we manage to get the enhanced BG1 without losing essential BG1ness like this issue...
    Wardg314
    @Bhryaen

It seems like the BG2 engine was almost rewritten from scratch compared to the first. The consistency between tiny little features makes it seem like they were designed by different people.

I'll do another test run and see if I can spot any inconsistencies between BG1 (1) and BG1 (2). Gotta nip this stuff in the ass!
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @Ward
    Yeah- and if you can nail the technical difficulty mention me. Let's just say I've been noting this myself for a while and would love to have it worked out by first release
    @Bhryaen

Are you talking about what Zelgadis mentioned here? I just loaded an EasyTutu game and I do get all the normal background sound effects in cities and such. NPCs use their 'bored' lines.

Whatever problem he has it must be to do with BGT. I'm slightly biased though because my game IS modded quite a bit so that distorts the difference between vanilla BG1 (1) and vanilla BG1 (2).
    Bhryaen