Skip to content

2nd level druid spells

I'm running through BG1 now with Jah, and I never know what to take for 2nd level spells.

1) Barkskin - Useless, especially at low levels. She always has armor that's better than the spell.
2) Charm Person - It has a save with a bonus, so it's often just going to be a waste of a round.
3) Find Traps - I have a thief for that.
4) Flame Blade - Not much better than any of her current weapons, and she's using Staves/Spears anyway so no proficiency.
5) Goodberry - Not the worst thing in the world if you cast and stock up while healing up between quests/chapters, but it's terrible for a "carrying around" spell.
6) Know Alignment - Like, seriously.
7) Resist Fire/Cold - Definitely, once my Cav gets a ring of fire resistance, so I can send him into the fray and spam fireballs. But, until then?
8) Slow Poison - My Cav is poison immune, gets two castings, and Dynaheir has one as an innate ability. Plus, there's plenty of antidotes around.

Nothing really stands out for me. Any thoughts?

Comments

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    They are pretty bad. I usually go with goodberries and resist fire/cold.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    IWDification mod for beast claw? :p
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Charm person or mammal has a long casting time, but if it works it can charm a tough animal like a cave bear. Apply doom beforehand to lower saving throws so it can land more reliably.

I agree other spells are rather lackluster. You can barkskin a kensai or mage character but its duration is pitiful. Flame blade is only helpful when you fight trolls and have no other fire/acid source available. Good berries are useful that you can have other characters gulp them while a thief scouts/detects traps/opens locks etc.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013
    With the case of level 2 druid spells I normally go for spells that allow me to focus characters in other areas. By putting towards find traps for instance it means I don't need to immediately worry about putting that up on my thief. I can instead put towards Pick Locks, Pick Pocket, or any other thief skill I feel like. Also its not as if I'm losing out at much by having a casting of the spell.

Charm Person and or Mammal can be useful. It lasts a full turn, which is twice as long as Dire Charm and Charm Person (level 1 mage spell). I would say its more useful outside of combat than in it but there are cases where you can use it effectively in combat. A casting time of 5 sounds long but it really isn't. It depends of course on how you are equipping Jaheira but it is a spell you can use to take over an enemy fighter or cleric. Against a level 8 fighter it has basically a 50/50 shot of working (without doom).

Slow poison is good to have as a just in case spell. Sure you can have antidotes but I don't think it hurts to have them on hand.

Flame Blade really has no use for Jaheira or Faldorn. Its not as bad as Shillelagh though but thats about the only thing it has going for it (beyond its ability to kill trolls which really isn't all that useful in BG1).
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Just be patient until you get to Ironskins and Insect Swarm. In BG2.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    I usually mod avenger's web to all druids. It's pretty fitting and damn useful.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I just don't play with druids
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    @Iansounet: That's the spirit! DOWN WITH THE TREE-HUGGERS!
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Definitely the worst spell slot for preists in genral. I take barkskin for the most part since you can target anyone with it. Also take at least one cure poison too, mainly because having multiple different party members who can cast cure poison is a good thing, since a player would have difficulty casting cure poison if they themselves are the one poisoned due to miscasts.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    kit jaheira into cleric/ranger problem solved
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    ajwz said:

Definitely the worst spell slot for preists in genral.

Clerics get Draw upon Holy Might in that slot, which is one of their best and most-used spells (if not *the* best and most-used spell). Only druids get shafted. Don't play druids. Druids bad. Bad!
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    Well, I'm playing Jah, intentionally. So, I can't ditch the druids. I don't have a Kensai, so no barkskin. I have more than enough slow poison between the PC, Dyn, and antidotes. I usually finish the game with plenty extra, actually. I suppose I'll just split it between stocking up on Goodberries and Resist Cold/Fire.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Slow Poison and Goodberries. I wonder if it's possible to make an AI script eat Goodberries.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @PugPug If you use the SCS script, one of the settings will make them eat Goodberries automatically.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited October 2013
    run mass fire res + on mages mass azangar fb sunfire
    iwdfication mod adds few not bad druid spells to bg
    sadly no great shapeshifting
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    To be fair, Barkskin would actually be very useful, if F/D had their proper restrictions (they're supposed to keep ALL the restrictions druids have, including armor, they just get stronger melee presence via bonus attacks, specialization).

It's also handy if you happen to have a kensai in the party, or you can skip learning armor spells on your mages and just barkskin them before a battle free up slots for more debuffs.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, I'm sure most people love it, but being able to throw plate on a Fighter/Druid always feels cheesy to me.