Skip to content

Let's talk alignments

ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
""Alignment is a guide to a character's basic moral and ethical attitudes toward others, society, good, evil, and the forces of the universe in general."

So, let's talk about it, not just about the game, but from a philosophical and practical point of view, how do see or understand Good and Bad/Evil?

I for myself don't see Evil in nature, just bad behaviour, like the Emperor of Rome, Marcus Aurelius said: "All these things happen to them by reason of their ignorance of what is good and evil." I think misunderstanding regarding good and bad/evil fits better.

I find Bad to be an error, not an option, if we agree with Aristotle, "EVERY art and every inquiry, and similarly every action and pursuit, is thought to aim at some good; and for this reason the good has rightly been declared to be that at which all things aim."

So you see, I trow away the idea of Evil in nature, like Satan(or Evil Gods), God can't have an opposite extreme or meaning, as God is everything, not to be misunderstood God is Bad an Evil at the same time. Bad is the other edge of Liberty, as Liberty is risky.

I'm ending this here for now, feel free to add anything fruitful.

Kindly came to my attention I've been unclear about the poll; I have to say, feel free to say anything(not to be confused with trolling) that sparks to mind about ethics, and let's consider the poll to be about real life, as I said best in real life, seems to be best in everything, including gaming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_and_evil

Alignment quiz http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20001222b/

Keep in mind the alignment suggested by the quiz is just a suggestion. It describes your character no better than a 36-question test would describe you. But it’s a good way to start thinking about how your character acts when confronted with issues of alignment.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4240/an-introspection-the-true-nature-of-oneself-understood-from-rpgs#latest

If this is your first visit, I strongly recommend reading every post, and here I want to thank everybody for sacrificing time to this discussion.

Food for thought:

Rationality and virtue.
"Presumably, however, to say that happiness is the chief good seems a platitude, and a clearer account of what it is still desired. This might perhaps be given, if we could first ascertain the function of man. For just as for a flute-player, a sculptor, or an artist, and, in general, for all things that have a function or activity, the good and the ‘well’ is thought to reside in the function, so would it seem to be for man, if he has a function. Have the carpenter, then, and the tanner certain functions or activities, and has man none? Is he born without a function? Or as eye, hand, foot, and in general each of the parts evidently has a function, may one lay it down that man similarly has a function apart from all these? What then can this be? Life seems to be common even to plants, but we are seeking what is peculiar to man. Let us exclude, therefore, the life of nutrition and growth. Next there would be a life of perception, but it also seems to be common even to the horse, the ox, and every animal. There remains, then, an active life of the element that has a rational principle." Aristotle - Nicomachean Ethics

Life befitting rationality.
"PROP. XXXV. In so far only as men live in obedience to reason, do they always necessarily agree in nature.

Proof.--In so far as men are assailed by emotions that are passions, they can be different in nature, and at variance one with another. But, men are only said to be active, in so far as they act in obedience to reason; therefore, whatsoever follows from human nature in so far as it is defined by reason must be understood solely through human nature as its proximate cause. But, since every man by the laws of his nature desires that which he deems good, and endeavours to remove that which he deems bad; and further, since that which we, in accordance with reason, deem good or bad, necessarily is good or bad; it follows that men, in so far as they live in obedience to reason, necessarily do only such things as are necessarily good for human nature, and consequently for each individual man; in other words, such things as are in harmony with each man's nature. Therefore, men in so far as they live in obedience to reason, necessarily live always in harmony one with another. Q.E.D.

Corollary I.--There is no individual thing in nature, which is more useful to man, than a man who lives in obedience to reason. For that thing is to man most useful, which is most in harmony with his nature that is, obviously, man. But man acts absolutely according to the laws of his nature, when he lives in obedience to reason, and to this extent only is always necessarily in harmony with the nature of another man wherefore among individual things nothing is more useful to man, than a man who lives in obedience to reason. Q.E.D.

Corollary II.--As every man seeks most that which is useful to him, so are men most useful one to another. For the more a man seeks what is useful to him and endeavours to preserve himself, the more is he endowed with virtue, or, what is the same thing, the more is he endowed with power to act according to the laws of his own nature, that is to live in obedience to reason. But men are most in natural harmony, when they live in obedience to reason therefore men will be most useful one to another, when each seeks most that which is useful to him. Q.E.D." Spinoza - Ethics

Morals and Duty.
"To secure one's own happiness is a duty, at least indirectly; for discontent with one's condition, under a pressure of many anxieties and amidst unsatisfied wants, might easily become a great temptation to transgression of duty. But here again, without looking to duty, all men have already the strongest and most intimate inclination to happiness, because it is just in this idea that all inclinations are combined in one total. But the precept of happiness is often of such a sort that it greatly interferes with some inclinations, and yet a man cannot form any definite and certain conception of the sum of satisfaction of all of them which is called happiness. It is not then to be wondered at that a single inclination, definite both as to what it promises and as to the time within which it can be gratified, is often able to overcome such a fluctuating idea, and that a gouty patient, for instance, can choose to enjoy what he likes, and to suffer what he may, since, according to his calculation, on this occasion at least, be has not sacrificed the enjoyment of the present moment to a possibly mistaken expectation of a happiness which is supposed to be found in health. But even in this case, if the general desire for happiness did not influence his will, and supposing that in his particular case health was not a necessary element in this calculation, there yet remains in this, as in all other cases, this law, namely, that he should promote his happiness not from inclination but from duty, and by this would his conduct first acquire true moral worth. to understand those passages of Scripture also in which we are commanded to love our neighbour, even our enemy. For love, as an affection, cannot be commanded, but beneficence for duty's sake may; even though we are not impelled to it by any inclination — nay, are even repelled by a natural and unconquerable aversion. This is practical love and not pathological — a love which is seated in the will, and not in the propensions of sense — in principles of action and not of tender sympathy; and it is this love alone which can be commanded. The second proposition is: That an action done from duty derives its moral worth, not from the purpose which is to be attained by it, but from the maxim by which it is determined, and therefore does not depend on the realization of the object of the action, but merely on the principle of volition by which the action has taken place, without regard to any object of desire. It is clear from what precedes that the purposes which we may have in view in our actions, or their effects regarded as ends and springs of the will, cannot give to actions any unconditional or moral worth." Immanuel Kant - Fundamental Principles of the Metaphysic of Morals
  1. Let's talk alignments320 votes
    1. Lawful Good
        9.69%
    2. Lawful Neutral
        5.94%
    3. Lawful Evil
        3.13%
    4. Neutral Good
      23.44%
    5. True Neutral
      11.56%
    6. Neutral Evil
        5.00%
    7. Chaotic Good
      24.38%
    8. Chaotic Neutral
      12.19%
    9. Chaotic Evil
        4.69%
Post edited by Zafiro on

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I think I am Neutral Good, based on the poor and contradicting descriptions in BG.

Apparently a chaotic evil person is like a demon, completely and utter incomprehensibly evil and unable to cooperate with anyone, but a chaotic good person is able to cooperate with anyone.
  • TheSkrinTheSkrin Member Posts: 11
    The way I view evil in practice is that it's someone who's both very greedy and very selfish, interested in promoting his own welfare at the cost of whatever/whoever else. Good, as the antithesis, is the quality of selflessness and the interest of promoting others' welfare as much as or more than one's own. Obviously, few people are fully good or evil; there's enough blend to make us all shades of gray.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    What can i say i'm a capitalist to the core, i work for my own betterment first
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    edited July 2012
    "What can i say i'm a capitalist to the core, i work for my own betterment first"

Thats not capitalism. Capitalism is were you make a product that your customers need and serve them well so you can get repeat business. You work for the betterment of your costumers and its in your own self interest to do so since your making a profit. Working for your own betterment first is more a gangsters philosophy. Its a common misconception about capitalism.

But I digress, back on topic. Since I tend to play rangers I find Chaotic Good suit me well. Make sense for this type to work with some evil characters if their goals are the same and I tend to use mix alignment parties.

"What can i say i'm a capitalist to the core, i work for my own betterment first"

Thats not capitalist. Capitalist is were you make a product that your customers need and sevre them well so you can get repeat business. Working for your own betterment first is more a gangsters philosophy. Its a common misconception about capitalist.

To be honest I'm well aware of thar ;)
    edited July 2012
    I was sure u were joking, I just felt like ranting. LOL Forgive me. A little bit of lawful good preachyness must have surfaced.

I was sure u were joking, I just felt like ranting. LOL Forgive me. A little bit of lawful good preachyness must have surfaced.

Hehe no problems
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    Chaotic Neutral... Free Spirit, Independent, not really drawn to good or evil and with a bit of dislike of law, order and systems - I see it as a very relaxed alignment :)
  • AberdashAberdash Member Posts: 42
    You have the classic of scenario of killing one person to save a hundred. Most people consider killing to be an evil act but preventing death is seen as good. Good and evil are just 2 sides of the same coin.
  • seekaseeka Member Posts: 53
    CN... too rash and impulsive to be a nice apathetic TN, but what can I say
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2012
    @Aberdash, I say butt kicking for goodness those who are about to kill those hunderd of men. Or doing your very best at extracting the evil. Vive la guerre eternelle!

P.S. Some may humanity has two good innates: the figther, the heroe of deeds, and the sufferer, the martyr. The first ones fight for an ideal while the second, suffer for the same ideal. The Heroes are combative and The Saints reflexiv.
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    What would Batman's alignment be?

Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral?
  • DougPiranhaDougPiranha Member Posts: 50
    Currently true neutral, probably slowly drifting from CG idealism of my youth, most likely towards machiavellian NE.
    gfm50 said:

depends on what take of the character...
    http://writingiseasier.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/batman-alignment-chart.jpg
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    gfm50 said:

depends on what take of the character...
    http://writingiseasier.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/batman-alignment-chart.jpg
    Haha. I cannot believe that someone already went through this exercise! That is great. Thanks for the link.
    edited July 2012
    Dark Knight trilogy certainly have him as Chaotic Good.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    No please no, no D&D alignment discussion. This *never* ends well.
  • AtlanticAtlantic Member Posts: 44
    I see 'evil' as taking away someone's ability to question and voice their own opinions. Personal freedoms have great importance to me- probably why I find CN characters the best
    edited July 2012
    @DougPiranha, I for one, find TN to be false, or not at all; reminds of "ignorance is bliss" also reminds me of Dante's Divine Comedy:

And he to me: This miserable way
    is taken by the sorry souls of those
    who lived without disgrace and without praise.

They now commingle with the coward angels,
    the company of those who were not rebels
    nor faithful to their God, but stood apart.

The heavens, that their beauty not be lessened,
    have cast them out, nor will deep Hell receive them
    even the wicked cannot glory in them.

I don't know about Hell, but I may think Neutrality is actually worse than Evil.
    @The_New_Romance, I hope no one feels offended, question everything, and maybe never say "never".:)
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    I'm True Neutral
    edited July 2012
    @Maciak87, not "all" have to lie and deceit. If we are to talk about human happines, let me agree with Aristotel:
    Life seems to be common even to plants, but we are seeking what is peculiar to man. Let us exclude, therefore, the life of nutrition and growth. Next there would be a life of perception, but it also seems to be common even to the horse, the ox, and every animal.There remains, then, an active life of the element that has a rational principle; of this, one part has such a principle in the sense of being obedient to one, the other in the sense of possessing one and exercising thought.

Not by vegetation, or senses driven by eating, drinking, having sex; human happines has to have a human principle, "exercising thought" as rational beings.
  • TheudipaldTheudipald Member Posts: 30
    I'm rather lazy so I'll quote myself from another thread.

Neutral Evil as I consider it to be the most machiavelian alignment. Sort of like the strong-willed Anarch or Übermensch ready to do whatever it takes to get the job done, like Caesar, Napoleon, Hitler etc.

N.B. I don't consider myself to be Neutral Evil as I am the furthest thing from an Anarch. Like the majority I am a typical follower so my alignment would probably be Lawful Evil, but from a philosophical standpoint I regard Neutral Evil as the ultimate path for Man to take, so I'll vote for that.

As for the game, Good vs Evil is really more Altruistic vs Egoistic.
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    Actually I'd have Batman as Lawful Good, the reason being that the Lawful element in Lawful Good means that you follow some Code, and it doesn't necessarily have to be the law of the land. If a Lawful Good character finds his or herself in a corrupt society they are not going to follow the law simply because they are lawful.

Bascially if you are Lawful the code of conduct can be a personal code, which what I think happens in the case of Batman. In fact Batman is in many ways the quintessential Lawful Good character. He has lines that he absolutely will not cross (such as killing), and is trying to fix society to a point he his no longer needed.

I think a problem arises with something I like to call lawful stupid, which is when someone plays (often a paladin!), their lawful good character quite aggressively with only a superficial understand of what lawful actually means. This can often be quite disruptive in parties.

I like to play Paladins myself, and I have often surprised parties I have been in with my attitude. I have always played Paladins that seek to lead through example not preaching, and they always run on a code of personal honor rather than societal. So when a character in his party steals something they often ask "aren't you going to stop me" to which the response is usally "of course not, it's not my place to dictate how you act, I believe what you have done is wrong, but that is your choice to make". What I would usually then do is seek out the person who had been stolen from, explain the situation, and offer recompense from my own coffers with usually a little extra, assuring them that the person who had commited the theft is basically a good person, but is not quite all the way there yet. Besides usually in the fantasy environments we often game in, with poverty and such, thefts commited to meet basic needs such as to provide food, shelter and the like aren't usually the problem in his code, it is usually greed that is the problem. So someone stealing out of greed, or hoarding wealth out of greed is usually the greater problem.
    Maciak87 said:

I'm afraid I fit the Chaotic Evil description, minus perhaps the implied mindlesness. At the end of the day, we all work towards our hapiness by all means necessary, most often through lies and deceit.

You just described yourself as Neutral Evil. :P
  • masterdesbaxtermasterdesbaxter Member Posts: 51
    Well, as a Christian, I am justified- thus, I am good, though not of my own goodness- and therefore uphold the Law, though not by my nature.

DnD Theology and morality really only "works" because we "just go with it"- everyone knows it doesn't stand up very well by itself! :)
    @Samiel, I'd also like to add to your view about a "personal code", we have a moral duty as rational beings, if we think about it for a while, maybe we can agree on moral duty, and that "personal code" could be a rational and universal law, doesn't have to be seen as subjective. Kinda like: "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law."
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited July 2012
    Appears it was said in jest, but I see capitalism as indeed being Neutral Evil: it's being about self-enrichment, look at the banking crisis, the bail-outs, the exploitation of workers if rules and rights are relaxed or not even there, look at America, go watch the movies by Michael Moore.

I see myself as ideologically opposed to capitalism, though I'm tainted by the world I live in: tempted into both buying a desktop, laptop and tablet. But life really is about sharing, about enjoying nature, about restraining yourself so that other persons and species may live, fulfillment in life is found in doing things that make others happy. And as many laws are evil, and some are good, you should take the middle road and judge laws by what is right and just, what betters people and what helps the most needy and vulnerable of people, peoples and species. Good being more important than either law or anarchy, I vote for Neutral Good.

It's in being there for others, be they human, animal, plant or ecosystem, that we find fulfillment.

Appears it was said in jest, but I see capitalism as indeed being Neutral Evil: it's being about self-enrichment, look at the banking crisis, the bail-outs, the exploitation of workers if rules and rights are relaxed or not even there, look at America, go watch the movies by Michael Moore.

I see myself as ideologically opposed to capitalism, though I'm tainted by the world I live in: tempted into both buying a desktop, laptop and tablet. But life really is about sharing, about enjoying nature, about restraining yourself so that other persons and species may live, fulfillment in life is found in doing things that make others happy. And as many laws are evil, and some are good, you should take the middle road and judge laws by what is right and just, what betters people and what helps the most needy and vulnerable of people, peoples and species. Good being more important than either law or anarchy, I vote for Neutral Good.

It's in being there for others, be they human, animal, plant or ecosystem, that we find fulfillment.

There is a difference betwen Capitalism, and Cronies capitalism, that's what your talking about... and Michael Moore is a major hypocrites who does movies denoncing a situation, but the guy refuse to applicate thouse lessons for himselfs, the guy refuse that is crew syndicalise themselves, and for the fun google to see what his house look like
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    Got to go with neut good, I'm ( I hope ) a good person, who is constantly within the bounds of the law, however on odd occasions I don't particularly agree with it and feel it has let society down.