Skip to content

Making An 'Aura' Item

Hey everyone, I'm having some problems with DLTCEP.

I want to make an 'orb', that, when carried (in the off-hand, as a small shield) will automatically lower the Magic Resistance of all nearby enemies in a large area around the wielder. The amount itself isn't really important (I was thinking about -50% MR, to deal with those pesky drow!), it's the other part that's giving me a headache...

Basically, the 'orb' has to do the following:

- lower the MR of all nearby enemies when they come within range
- stop affecting enemies who move *out* of range (ie. they move away)
- not affect the wielder, or their allies (ie. rest of the player's party)

The orb is basically a mage-only 'shield' with some other minor bonuses, and this quite significant one. But I'm having trouble with the aura stuff, and if anyone would be kind to let me know how to solve it, then I could put together some more aura items I've been brainstorming but currently have no idea how to execute.

Anyway, any and all help would be most welcome! :)

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    You could try using Cast Spell on Condition (effect 232), setting Target = 3 (anyone around) and Condition = 9 (target is at 10'), Timing Mode = while equipped, with a Duration of 12 or 18 so it lasts only 2 or 3 rounds. I have to admit the IWD effect Spell Immunity (206) would be highly useful here but we have to work with what we have.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353

You could try using Cast Spell on Condition (effect 232), setting Target = 3 (anyone around) and Condition = 9 (target is at 10'), Timing Mode = while equipped, with a Duration of 12 or 18 so it lasts only 2 or 3 rounds. I have to admit the IWD effect Spell Immunity (206) would be highly useful here but we have to work with what we have.

Thanks for the info, it really helped! :)

Another question, then: would it be possible to make a wizard ring that restores 1 used-up arcane spell every 10 rounds? And make the spells restored only be level 1-3? Basically, the way it should work is that the caster puts it on, and then the ring refreshes a random 1-3 spell that's already been cast, and it keeps doing this once every 10 rounds without the need to constantly re-equip it.

Can something like that be cooked up with DLTCEP?

edited October 2013
    Can the ring recharge a spell every now and then? Yes, but you would want to use a different opcode that can be set to fire every so often; I am not on a computer right now so I do not recall which effect that is but will find out in a while. Can it recharge only levels 1 to 3? I don't think so. I'll have to double-check but I think that opcode recharges the highest available spell level first.

edit: ah so--Apply Effect on Condition, opcode 272. Frequency = 600 and Type = 3 for "fire once every Frequency seconds" so that the effect happens once per turn. The effect it references would then have to be set up to use opcode 261, Restore Lost Spells, but I was mistaken--you can set Spell Level to 3 and Spell Type to 1 so it will recharge only cleric/druid spells of 3rd level or lower.
    Post edited by Mathsorcerer on

Can the ring recharge a spell every now and then? Yes, but you would want to use a different opcode that can be set to fire every so often; I am not on a computer right now so I do not recall which effect that is but will find out in a while. Can it recharge only levels 1 to 3? I don't think so. I'll have to double-check but I think that opcode recharges the highest available spell level first.

edit: ah so--Apply Effect on Condition, opcode 272. Frequency = 600 and Type = 3 for "fire once every Frequency seconds" so that the effect happens once per turn. The effect it references would then have to be set up to use opcode 261, Restore Lost Spells, but I was mistaken--you can set Spell Level to 3 and Spell Type to 1 so it will recharge only cleric/druid spells of 3rd level or lower.

Thanks a bunch, this ought to work! :)

And since you've been so knowledgeable, I might as well ask you about spells...

I'm trying to put together an ice-themed spellpack. There are about 20 spells, and each does unique stuff, but what ties them all together is their ability to freeze the enemy solid. Basically, each spell has unique conditions/saves which, if failed, result in the victim being frozen solid for a few seconds (the game just stuns them and colors them bluish, all very easy to do).

Now, what I'm struggling with is actually getting the game to check this frozen state. Say you hit an enemy with an Icelance, and the 5% chance to freeze procs, and the enemy gets frozen solid for 10 seconds (all easy to do so far), how can I flag that enemy so I can check its frozen state for another spell?

I need to do this because one of the spells is a level-1 area-of-effect spell called 'Shatter'. It does nothing if cast by itself, but will instantly shatter any frozen enemies. The idea is to use the other frost spells to set up combos and freeze enemies, and then finish them with a well-placed Shatter.

The problem, however, is checking the target's state. When Shatter is cast, it needs to be able to differentiate between frozen and non-frozen targets, as it should instantly freeze-chunk the former and ignore the latter. Using the freezing death animation to viscerally chunk a frozen target is easy, but checking the target's state is the part I'm having trouble with.

Also, if possible, I'd rather not get into flags and scripting because I'm terrible at it.

So, is there a way to check these states just via DLTCEP's spell editor?

Unfortunately not--checking states will be possible only via scripts. I think anything frozen solid will shatter on its own within a round or two; I think this is part of the "frozen death" state itself.
  • Kwiat_WKwiat_W Member Posts: 37
    You can achive that without scripting, you just have to think outsdie the box.

So you have two spells, the combo spell and the shatter spell.
    The shatter spell needs two effects, both with opcode 146 (cast spell at creature). Each effect requires one additional spell file to be created, I will name them 'resist' and 'destroy'. In the destroy spell you place all the effects that are supposed to destroy/kill your target. The resist spell needs only one effect with opcode 206 (protection from soell), in the resource key put name of the spl file with the 'destroy' spell and set dursation to 1. In the shatter spell be sure to put the effect that calls the resist spell first and the effect that calls the destroy spell second. At this point the shatter spell is useless, it won't harm anybody, because the resist spell will protect anybody targeted by the shatter spell from the destructive effects of the 'destroy' spell.

Now we move to the 'combo' spell. One of it effects should have opcode 206 (protection from spell), but this time the resource key should be set to the name of spl file with the 'resist' spell'. Give it 5% chance and whatever duration you want. Add other effects that are supposted to freez your target and give them 5% chance.

Now everything should work as you intended it. There is 5% chance that target of the combo spell will be frozen. When it is frozen it will be protected from the 'resist' spell, which means it can now be affected by the 'destroy' spell, which is part of the 'shatter' spell. I hope my instructions were clear enough. Good luck.
    Mathsorcerer
    @Kwiat_W that would actually work pretty well. Excellent work!
    Awesome!

Thank you so much, both of you, you've helped me immensely! :)