Skip to content

Favorite Ranged Class (BG1/BG2)

2»

Comments

• @Schneidend You would think so, but even in melee Boomerang and Fire Tooth both get a 2d4 damage die (and are allowed the strength bonus), which is better than the 1d6 that the throwing axes get. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the base damage die on those daggers down to 1d4 while giving them the strength bonus while thrown; they'll still end up being top tier ranged weapons, but it'll be a little more reasonable than effectively hurling bastard swords around.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    You misunderstand. I meant the axe user can switch to an actual battle axe (1d8) and be just as proficient with it as the throwing axes. Obviously, 2d4 is better, but any given build will not always have its optimal equipment.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    There's a bit of overlap with the "Daggers and Shortswords are awful" topic here. Based on throwing daggers alone it could be argued that Daggers are not awful, they're just better as a ranged option with a melee component than as a pure melee weapon.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Dagger of Venom, guys.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    We don't get the dagger of venom in BG2, and more's the pity.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Or WILL we?
    BG2:EE could easily throw it back in. Although, BG2 has Neb's Nasty Cutter, which is basically the same weapon, I think. +2 dagger, poison damage effect, etc.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Favorite ranged class? I loved a ShortBow Assassin.
    Combine the poison weapon + Arrows of Biting = guaranteed a Mage won't be able to cough between the hurting animations.