Skip to content

Gnoll Stringhold (cont'd)

CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
Just for fun, I'd like to hear more ideas on this topic that seemed to fade in Nov '12.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/888/gnoll-stronghold/p1

I found this thread and enjoyed it immensely. Mainly b/c, the first time I ever played the game, I found myself intrigued by THIS side quest more than any other.

Today, I was writing my adventure recap for my latest trip to the Gnoll Stronghold for this thread:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/14574/baldur-s-gate-series-and-icewind-dale-series-minimal-reload-challenge-spoiler-warning#latest

I was expanding my narrative a bit, trying to read a little bit about Gnolls as they were described in D&D & AD&D. I came across a reminder that the DEMON LORD OF GNOLLS in the old Monster Manual was YEENOGHU.

Some thoughts came to mind for expansion (& that's when I found the original thread on this - for some reason I couldn't reply, so I decided to start fresh):

Some information on YEENOGHU to fuel the fire, borrowed from AD&D & Wikipedia sources.

Description: YEENOGHU combines the worst features of a Gnoll and demon in one immense form. Standing 12-foot-tall (3.7 m), his body is gaunt and lanky, and patches of yellow fur stained with brown spots cover him. Leprous gray skin and suppurating wounds mar his body, revealing the corruption of his flesh and spirit. His head is a large, anthropomorphic hyena’s, with glowing red eyes and a toothy maw from which spills strings of drool. He is often depicted wielding a three-headed flail.

As a demon lord, YEENOGHU rules the 422nd layer of the Abyss, aptly and unimaginatively named Yeenoghu's Realm. It is a salt-swept wasteland bordering a foul ocean in which lurk Gnolls, hyena-like creatures, and various carrion-eating undead. Before YEENOGHU took over the layer, it was known as the Savage Searing, ruled by the fallen Celestial demon lord known as Azael. Even before Azael, the layer was realm to the obyrith Lord of Storms and Tempests, Bechard. YEENOGHU himself lives in a wheeled, mansion-like yurt the size of a city pulled by thousands of slaves, which slowly makes its way across the layer.

Worshippers: YEENOGHU is revered by both Gnolls and ghouls, as well as power-hungry humanoids of other races. He acts as the patron for Gnolls, wishing to see a material world where other humanoids are simple slave labor or food. However, with his own conquests in the Abyss requiring direct attention, YEENOGHU also attracts other followers who seek power, often corrupting them into supporting his undead armies. One such Abyssal conquest was the White Kingdom, a layer devoted to ghouls and other undead. After YEENOGHU subjugated Doresain, King of Ghouls, the hungry dead began revering him as well.

Clergy: The typical ceremonial vestments of YEENOGHU'S priesthood are dark brown robes accented by mangy yellow furs. The robes are never cleaned, becoming fouled with blood and reeking of dead flesh over time. Clerics of YEENOGHU have access to the domains of Chaos, Demonic, Evil, and Fury. According to page 8 the Deities & Demigods supplement, Erythnul grants YEENOGHU clerics their spells, with YEENOGHU acting as a go-between and a loyal servant, at least, until the chance for him to achieve godhood himself is within his grasp.

Temples: YEENOGHU has few formal shrines or temples. His unholy sites are rocks in the wilderness smeared with blood and feces and crude paintings. In the Abyss his temples are more elaborate, taking the form of five-sided, six-tiered ziggurats covered in corpses and swarming flies.

I wish I had the skills of a modder to run w/this b/c run w/it I would. As an old AD&D Dungeon Master, I could have a blast designing the adventure - but alas, unless it's p&p D&D, I'm out of luck, b/c a modder I'm not.

With all the information above, one can envision that beneath the Gnoll Stronghold are numerous tribes of Gnolls, Gnoll Veterans, Gnoll Slashers led by Flinds and/or Gnoll Chieftain's. Ghouls, who also revere YEENOGHU, would be wandering everywhere as would other humanoids (e.g. Xvarts, Kobolds, maybe Goblins & Orcs who ar enot currently in BG1). These would be subservient to their Gnoll masters IAW this quote from above, "He acts as the patron for Gnolls, wishing to see a material world where other humanoids are simple slave labor or food." Heck, you could even tie in "Doresain, The King of the Ghouls', who has been subjugated to YEENOGHU.

There is so much here. I'm more than happy to use my former AD&D DM skills to help write the narrative and the plot but would need help turning it into anything more than something akin to the old AD&D Modules. It w ould involve moving Dynahier somewhere else (maybe) - like you can do w/Quayle & some other NPCs...or maybe you hit the stronghold early but then return later in the game after finishing the current adventure. Something keys PCs to return there & when they return an entrance in the caves, or main fortress, is suddenly open - like the door to where Claire & the Demon Knight are in Durlag's Tower.

YEENOGHU could be reached through a portal in a temple in the deepest depths of the Gnoll Stronghold, or, if that is too high in level for BG1 then maybe his 'high priest' resides there. But seeing as in the current game PCs fight the Demon Knight & Aec'Letec (a Demon Lord) it is not inconceivable that they could face YEENOGHU, Demon Prince & Demon Lord of Gnolls, and/or 'Doresain, The King of the Ghouls' or both in an expanded adventure.

Feel free to continue or if this is stupid, thanks for reading this far.

CT

Comments

• DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    It sounds like an interesting mod idea. Not enough of them add in new content like that.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Does Yeenoghu wear a T-back or a T-front within his own, private Stringhold? The official material is a bit hazy on this one.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I'd like that. It'd be cool to have an interior to the stronghold. I remember being disappointed that there wasn't more to it, just a few gnolls hanging out on the roof.
  • CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    edited October 2013

This is the image of YEENOGHU from the Monster Manual.

All credit to the original artist - either David C. Sutherland III, Tom Wham, D.A. Trampier or Jean Wells who are credited w/the illustrations therein.

CT
  • RellinRellin Member Posts: 28
    Limp wrist.
  • Rellin said:

Limp wrist.

He does look like he'd be easy to whip doesn't he Rellin? lol

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I'm a big, big fan of Yeenoghu. I'd also like to see the gnoll sprite get used for an enemy that can actually provide a serious threat, because it's easily one of my favorite sprites in the game.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    You definitely have an interesting idea there. The Gnoll Stronghold does capture the imagination; the thing I always found so compelling about it was that it felt like an epic adventure to me. Something about it, whether that be Minsc or the stronghold itself or rescuing Dynaheir feels like a chapter out of "Beowulf" or "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" or "The Odyssey." After I get done with the zone, I feel like I want to go back to the meadhall and brag of my exploits. If you can capture *that* feeling and combine it into a traditional D&D dungeon, I'd be in love with that mod. Any chance Beamdog might consider something like that?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    While I'm definitely aboard with the whole "expand the Stronghold please sirs" thing, I do believe fighting a Demonlord might be a tad bit much for BG, even if he does come in the shape of one of the fodder type enemies ;)
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Ive always wondered who actually built the stronghold in the first place. Maybe remnants of the original inhabitants can be found beneath the ruins?
  • scriver said:

While I'm definitely aboard with the whole "expand the Stronghold please sirs" thing, I do believe fighting a Demonlord might be a tad bit much for BG, even if he does come in the shape of one of the fodder type enemies ;)

See your point & thought the same thing @ first...until I thought about Aec'Letec & to a lesser extent, the Demon Knight all leading up to Sarevok & the boys. I don't know...if you played w/o the level cap & completed Durlag's Tower first, then the Isles of Balduran & Aec'Letec, I think a party of six 8ish level, mixed good run that gauntlet but, then again, the lowest level might be some higher level undead or the high priest of YEENOGHUE.

Ofcourse, none of it matters unless someone gets the urge to mod the thing out. Those of us that care to could combine on the plot narrative & design the adventure but someone has to code it out. CT
  • Ive always wondered who actually built the stronghold in the first place. Maybe remnants of the original inhabitants can be found beneath the ruins?

Yup, that would have to work into the plot and narrative for the adventure too. CT

• LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    @CharlestonianTemplar: Have you heard about avatars? Basically, the deity/demon lord/archdevil takes a mortal corporeal form that resembles them, yet if the avatar dies they don't lose all of their power, and the avatar itself is much less dangerous than the real entity would be. Another word for it might be "aspect" like an Aspect of Yeenoghu.

A high priest of Yeenoghu might also be sufficient, I'm just offering options.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I like old ruins. Too bad you can't go inside it.
  • @CharlestonianTemplar: Have you heard about avatars? Basically, the deity/demon lord/archdevil takes a mortal corporeal form that resembles them, yet if the avatar dies they don't lose all of their power, and the avatar itself is much less dangerous than the real entity would be. Another word for it might be "aspect" like an Aspect of Yeenoghu.

A high priest of Yeenoghu might also be sufficient, I'm just offering options.

Good feedback. That has possibilities. Waiting for that skilled 'modder' who wants to tackle this. I' starting to draft the 'module' (to coin old AD&D terminology) in my head. Wish some G3 smart person would weigh in on the feasibility. CT
  • I like old ruins. Too bad you can't go inside it.

That's the whole idea CoM_S. Hoping someone will see this worthy of expanding upon but it may be a bridge too far. CT
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    I agree! ( how could I not ;-))

In the original thread Trent said:

This is a great idea for a future adventure area. We have no current plans to play here, but it is something we could do down the road.

I hope it is STILL something they could do in the future after the release of BG2:EE and Adventure Y....

• mch202 said:

I agree! ( how could I not ;-))

In the original thread Trent said:

This is a great idea for a future adventure area. We have no current plans to play here, but it is something we could do down the road.

I hope it is STILL something they could do in the future after the release of BG2:EE and Adventure Y....

So do I and thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll send him a note and invite a look at the ideas presented herein.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Well the stronghold is right on the coast, is on the border between Amn and Baldur's gate, and has circular pits. So it seems to be either a border fort or prison, fallen into disuse.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    @CharlestonianTemplar: Why don't you post a topic in the General Modding section of this forum asking for collaboration and linking to this thread? There is still a huge modder community under the roots of BG... ;)
  • @CharlestonianTemplar: Why don't you post a topic in the General Modding section of this forum asking for collaboration and linking to this thread? There is still a huge modder community under the roots of BG... ;)

Great idea. Really didn't know about that b/c all those people there are too smart for me. I'll post the thread & see if anyone bites. CT