Skip to content

Highlight locked containers green when TAB-searching

CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
Currently locked containers show up as green when holding TAB to search an area if you have your "thieving" button active. If the "thieving" button is not active they show up as the normal blue. This was pointed out in the following thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21601/post-your-favorite-screenshot#latest

I would like to request that locked containers show up as green by default when holding down the TAB key if possible. Thanks guys.

Comments

• AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited October 2013
    Make this feature only working if you have a thief in your party and that thief is not restricted from using it's thieving abilities. (Similar to how the Group Infravision option works)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    How would one know something is locked before it is touched? There is an RP piece that can be lost from excessive automation (why not have thieves auto unlock/disarm traps by simply rolling in background until successful, for instance?). Anyway, I cheat and select unlock and mouse over containers - it won't give an option for locked ones.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Trent Oster has compared using the tab key to telling a PnP DM that you're searching the area. You might well get told that a container is locked in the DM's initial description of it.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Although it would be nice, I don't think it would be a hugely beneficial feature. As it is, you can just have the thieving button active and hover the cursor over the container and you would get the same information.
  • djcdjc Member Posts: 76
    Instant TAB-lighting would take one unnecessary step away from the process, thereby streamlining the game. I would like that. Even though I've loved BG and even its flaws for years, and some of the new UI enhancements are superb, one must admit that the UI still suffers from some clumsiness, that can be addressed to the original design standards of the previous millenium. Having to take more steps than really required for activating this kind of a NEW functionality is a bit too much of a nostalgia trip to the nineties and something to be avoided, when enhancing the game towards modern standards. It's a great feature, but it could be more streamlined with this small change.

Heck, I'd have detecting traps as a passive ability anytime, but I fear that the change would require just a bit too much work for possible gains in developer's point of view.

However I agree AendaeronBluescale's opinion about making this feature still require a thief in the party. Maybe even having a thief as a selected character for the highlighting to work.