Skip to content

Gnome Illusionist/Cleric advice

moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
So I'm playing a PnP Gnome Illusionist/Cleric of Loki (Loki in his prankster incarnation rather than evil evil harbinger of doom incarnation) and am looking for advice of pranks and tricks to play on folks around.

The character will be good and ideally pranks and tricks will be used to illustrate and educate people against various pitfalls in life - and also to outwit and expose those who would use trickery for evil purposes. Ideally such tricks would be more based around RP rather than mechanical spell effects.

Thoughts?

Comments

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    The key to most confidence tricks is having the mark believe that they are in a position of power over you, and using their own greed to push them into making stupid choices. It is hard to con a scrupulously honest person, as they are unlikely to take the offered bait.

It might be worth having a read through Anansi or Brer Rabbit stories for other examples of trickster behaviour. Wikipedia has a whole list of trickster gods from various cultures that are worth a read too.
  • On the flip side, you can con honest/good people by convincing them that you are in dire straits and in need of assistance. In this case, the bait is not "I've got the deal of a lifetime," but "You're the only one who can help me."

Neil Gaiman's American Gods describes at least one con, as Wednesday is quite the conman.