Skip to content

Conversations and stats compilation. (spoilers, perhaps)

Now, I've noticed some threads with people having some doubts about the influence of stats on conversations, particularly Charisma, Intelligence and Wisdom.

So, not knowing if a compilation thread is already happening somewhere around here, let's make one. Put down every every time you experienced a particular conversation line etc. influenced by a stat.

Like "Got reward X from NPC X if I had 15+ Charisma"... or something along those lines.

Comments

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    You get a +1 dagger from Fuller in Candlekeep as a quest reward (and a much more pleasant thank you) if you have a high reaction adjustment (I think you need 17 Charisma and 12 rep, or 18 Charisma for other starting reps).

Jared on the map North of the Gnoll stronghold only gives you the Boots of the North as a reward for saving him from a Polar bear if your reaction adjustment is high (so either high Charisma or rep, or both).
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    Reaction adjustment is determinied both Charisma and Reputation rather than just one. Reaction adjustment is normally used instead of just a Charisma stat check in BG1. I don't know the exact values for the examples I mentioned, unfortunately.

Landrin at the Friendly Arm will give you several (5, IIRC) antidotes when giving the spider-slaying quest if your reaction adjustment is high (18 Charisma with 10 rep, so about +4 is needed).

I can't think of any off the top of my head that depend on Int or Wis in Baldur's Gate. There are definitely some in Planescape: Torment though.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    If memory serves, certain conversation paths are only available to high-intelligence characters when conversing with Solaufein in BG2, but I don't know what the cutoffs are.
    This thread has a similar question asked: https://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18861/charisma-over-18/p1

In it Jalily, one of the BG:EE team confirms that Reaction adjustment rather than raw Charisma score is checked ingame.

I also recall a little surprise I had on my very first BG:EE run. My 19 Charisma, high rep Cavalier managed to convince Tamoko not to fight in the Undercity, something I'd never seen before.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    hmm you can identify Dorn as a blackguard when you first meet him think its dependent on wisdom not sure about that could be intelligence or something else
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Corvino said:

You get a +1 dagger from Fuller in Candlekeep as a quest reward (and a much more pleasant thank you) if you have a high reaction adjustment (I think you need 17 Charisma and 12 rep, or 18 Charisma for other starting reps).

I have always needed 18 Cha and 12 rep (lawful good) to get the dagger. But isn't there a random element to reaction adjustment, too?
    edited October 2013
    I've just done a quick test of the Fuller's Dagger quest with a 17 Charisma LG human fighter, and it was not possible to get the +1 dagger even with several reloads to make sure there wasn't a random element to it. It looks like you need a minimum reaction adjustment of +5 (i.e. 18 Cha) to get the Dagger.

I don't think starting alignment and rep factors into it, as 8-13 reputation is "no adjustment".

*Edit* Just remembered another one. AR5200 (the waterfall area) has a quest to retrieve the body of Drienne's cat (Pixie I think). If you have a reaction adjustment of +5 or more then you get +1 rep and a scroll of protection from undead in addition to XP, and she tells you her dad will raise the cat from the dead. With a neutral reaction adjustment you get XP and a couple of gold, with a low reaction adjustment you get nothing at all.
    Post edited by Corvino on
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    element said:

hmm you can identify Dorn as a blackguard when you first meet him think its dependent on wisdom not sure about that could be intelligence or something else

Its Intelligence, and you need 17+ to get the line. (It doesn't really add much, you get like 1 extra line from him I think, amusingly one they used as one of his soundfiles on the website).
    This topic has me interested, so I did a bit of Googling and found that while average charisma keeps things about normal and high charisma occasionally nets you rewards, very low charisma characters get some interesting effects. For example the Flaming Fist mercenary south of Beregost cannot be persuaded not to attack the party with a charisma of 3, and some quests won't be offered at all to low charisma characters. Might be worth doing a plug-ugly CHARNAME just to see the effects.
  • Cowled_wizardCowled_wizard Member Posts: 119
    tamoko not killed?????? they have to change the ending in tob!!!!! i want her in my party!
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    This may be extremely minor, and I don't know what it's based on, but when you have the second encounter with Dorn (fighting bandits on the way to the mines), I've noticed that sometimes when Senjak says, "Hail, and well met." you have one option, and sometimes you have two options.

1. Well met, traveller.

Sometimes you also get

2. Keep your distance (don't recall the exact line)

I'm not sure what it's based on. At first I thought your alignment might give different options, but now I'm thinking it could be related to Wisdom score. I never tank Intelligence, but sometimes I tank my Wisdom score on CHARNAME to get the stats I want. I guess this is hinting that you are too trusting or don't sense the danger of the situation or are just gullible. Anyone else know for sure?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

This may be extremely minor, and I don't know what it's based on, but when you have the second encounter with Dorn (fighting bandits on the way to the mines), I've noticed that sometimes when Senjak says, "Hail, and well met." you have one option, and sometimes you have two options.

1. Well met, traveller.

Sometimes you also get

2. Keep your distance (don't recall the exact line)

I'm not sure what it's based on. At first I thought your alignment might give different options, but now I'm thinking it could be related to Wisdom score. I never tank Intelligence, but sometimes I tank my Wisdom score on CHARNAME to get the stats I want. I guess this is hinting that you are too trusting or don't sense the danger of the situation or are just gullible. Anyone else know for sure?

This one is based on intelligence. I think 14 or higher gives you the second option, as well as another line with Dorn where you can recognize him as a blackguard.

Another very minor one, and I'm not sure what exactly the combination was:

In Baldur's Gate, the girl with the cat. I once talked to the father with 21 charisma (neutral evil jester, 18 start, tome, cloak) and killed the cat and he actually gave me a cloak of protection. With 18 charisma, he still says "you didn't think I'd really give you the cloak". It may also have to do with the reputation, I forgot what I had (but likely 9 or lower; definitely not above 15).

• JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    Of the top of my head, if you have very friendly reactions compared to neutral reactions...

Silke offers you extra gold if you kill the thugs.
    Unshey gives you a book if you return his stolen girdle.
    Liandrin gives you 6 Antidotes to fight her spider infestation.
    Fuller gives you a magical dagger.
    The girl with the drowned cat gives you a protection scroll and extra reputation.
    A particular nobleman in distress rewards you with cold-resistant boots.
    Tamoko can be persuaded not to fight you.

NPC dialogues can change too, from what I remember...

Viconia says she no longer worships Lloth, and dialogue options change to show that you do not discriminate.
    Safana expresses her awe for your imposing male stature.
    Edwin actually thinks you do nicely for his job.
    Kagain thinks you deserve just a little bit extra money for your "help" when you recruit him.

• LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Don't forget, a high reaction also nets you 2 gold pieces from the noble with the golden pantaloons and some extra (amusing) dialogue.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Jace said:

Edwin actually thinks you do nicely for his job.

I believed your post until that line.