Skip to content

[Spoiler] How did I never see this?!

I'm doing yet another run through of BG:EE and I'm in Cloakwood with the spiders. When I got to Centeol (the fat spider lord guy) I normally reply with the generic 'bring it on!' dialogue but this time I asked him why he was there and answered that Jon Irenicus banished him for atrocities he committed and what not.

This might seem silly to most people, but I've never read this and I was floored! I can't recall any foreshadowing about Irenicus and this little tidbit got me all excited. I just had to share haha

Comments

• styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Pretty sure he says Jon Icarus not Irenicus but it's assumed it's Irenicus.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    It's old but good. In the original BG1 she would call him by a slightly different name, but it appears that was altered/corrected in the EE.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    stygga said:

Pretty sure he says Jon Icarus not Irenicus but it's assumed it's Irenicus.

BGEE actually fixed that to be Irenicus.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Indeed. In vanilla she says she was cursed by the Archmage Jon Icarus, who loved another. BG:EE altered the name slightly, but kept the rest of the text identical.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I had thought you had to charm her in order to get that discussion thread? Goes to show how out of the loop I am. But yeah, I had heard something about that as well.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I just noticed it for the first time a couple weeks ago. She didn't give much detail, would have been cool to get some more backstory on old Jonny boy.
  • KRKKRK Member Posts: 21
    You can charm her for further information, i think.
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    edited October 2013
    Clearly, it suits Irenicus style perfectly, sentencing C to a life of solitude and despair.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    It's these small touches that really enhance the game on so many levels.
    There are recurring names throughout BG1 and BG2, often with the named vampires in BG2 being the same as random NPCs in BG1. Sendai is both a powerful Drow in TOB and an arrogant Amnish Noble in BG1.
  • JazaraJazara Member Posts: 11

It's these small touches that really enhance the game on so many levels.

Indeed. Even after all these years of playing, I still stumble across little gems of information that make me fall in love with this series all over again.

• JazaraJazara Member Posts: 11
    Corvino said:

There are recurring names throughout BG1 and BG2, often with the named vampires in BG2 being the same as random NPCs in BG1. Sendai is both a powerful Drow in TOB and an arrogant Amnish Noble in BG1.

This reminds me... One of Dorn's former party members is named Dorotea, does anyone know if she was named for one of the prominent modders with the same name? Or is it merely coincidence?
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2013
    One thing that bugs me about Bodhi though.........Elf vampires can walk during daylight (Up to 1 hour in direct sunlight without issue, requiring an equal amount of time in the shade to recover before doing it again), but are burned by the touch of moonlight as a human vampire is by sunlight.

I mean it might be due to the loss of her soul, but it still seems a bit strange, none the less.

On the other hand, vampires are described as soulless, hence why they hunger for the lifeforce of other beings, and several of their stranger properties such as no reflections, no shadows, etc. So...Bodhi's lack of a soul wouldn't actually be an issue.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    @ZanathKariashi , I think this is a really interesting point that you have raised about Vampires, however I do not think Bohdi was ever in need of a soul, or at risk of expiring; rather she desired something greater than Vampirism in power, and wanted to reclaim the feeling of life that was deprived from her after Suldanesselar and her turn to Vampirism. By the time she turned to Vampirism, she was distinctly not-elven in the same way that Irenicus is not classified as an elf (I think?).
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I didn't actually know that about Elven Vampires, but my presumption would be similar to recklessheart, in that by the time she turned to Vampirism her elven-ness had already been stripped from her and thus she wasn't subject to the same rules.

Or it could be a plot hole.
  • Cowled_wizardCowled_wizard Member Posts: 119
    Did anybody charm tanova? Did she say anything about being with irenicus?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681

Did anybody charm tanova? Did she say anything about being with irenicus?

She has no charm dialogue and doesn't say anything about Irenicus.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Did any of you notice Dorn's last name? Lots of possibilities for interactions with the Orcish Bhaalspawn Gromnir Il-Khan in TOB. Could be half brothers, or perhaps Dorn's Bhaalspawn, too.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I also like to ask her why she's so fat. Then I cast a fireball just so she can melt away.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited October 2013

Did any of you notice Dorn's last name? Lots of possibilities for interactions with the Orcish Bhaalspawn Gromnir Il-Khan in TOB. Could be half brothers, or perhaps Dorn's Bhaalspawn, too.

Believe me, as far as BGEE reveals, it is unlikely that Dorn is a spawn of Bhaal, but I do believe that he might be related to Gromnir in some way.

Well, we don't know exactly what deal Dorn made with his patron. It's not inconceivable that a godling in need is tempting to a powerful outsider.

Dorn is a Half-Orc, Gromnir is an Orc. Half brothers?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I thought Gromnir was a half-Orc, maybe I was wrong (I played ToB like a decade ago).

Anyway, they are probably from the same clan, the one that got destroyed when Dorn fled with his mother. I will expect some dialogue.

Heck, maybe Gromnir was his dad :P
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    In the NPC project you get another option with C if you have Xan in your party.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Delvarian, is it NPC Project and Xan that triggers that? I know I've always gotten Centeol's full backstory without using any charm spell. I thought it was the NPC Project, after I found out from people here that she doesn't offer the story without one.

I can't remember if I had Xan or not, but she never mentioned him by name. She would just always bring up a dialogue where she would ask to talk, and I could choose "die now, monster" or "okay, say what you will." And she'd tell the whole story with the love triangle, Irenicus, and the spider curse.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Il-khan would be an orc tribe name, they would simply be descended from the same orc tribe, it doesn't necessarily imply direct relation.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    @belgarathmth Xan explains to Charname a bit about the spell Centeol is under (in NPC project) as well as making an offer. I believe the backstory for Centeol comes up in vanilla, but with Jon Icarus instead of Iranicus as the name she gives.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Delvarian, thanks. Although, I believe @Elminster just said that BG:EE changes the "Icarus" to "Irenicus", as an Easter egg for BG:EE players. And also, yes, I also thought you could get Centeol's backstory just fine in vanilla, with no charm spell needed, and what @Jalily said would seem to support that.

I'm wondering if the people who think you need Charm Person to get Centeol's backstory are just kind of "kill first, ask questions later" types, who never got the backstory without the Charm Person spell because they never bother to choose "Mercy, please wait!" type responses?
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577

Il-khan would be an orc tribe name, they would simply be descended from the same orc tribe, it doesn't necessarily imply direct relation.

Maybe, I don't recall it being called out it was a clan name, been a little while since I listened that closely to their stories. I expect there'll at least be some sort of relationship to touch on, there though. Still enough to make me want to take Dorn with me for my first BG2:EE playthrough to see how it plays out. Would be pretty interesting if Dorn turned out to be another Bhaalspawn, and you had to either kill him or make him submit to your will somehow. Obviously I'm just speculating, but it's an interesting idea, and I suspect they'll at least do something with them, even if it turns out they're just from the same clan and not that closely related.