Skip to content

Resistances over 100%

Do damage resistances over 100% still heal the character? I know this was possible in the original BG1/2, but don't know if it works in EE. Could be potentially fun with the Dragon Disciple kit for Sorcerer if it's still in there.

On a related note, does Sunfire SET a character's fire resistance to 100%, or does it ADD 100% to a character's fire resistance for a short period. (I know it does this for a second or two after casting, I'm not sure if it's even reflected in the record screen though).

Trying to find ways to justify taking the kit in spite of the horrible loss of high-level spell slots :(.

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I don't think sun fire does anything to fire resistance.
    It looks like resistance over 100 does heal you, I just tested this.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    In vanilla BG1, having a resistance over 100% would heal you. I have to admit seeing things like "takes (-4) damage from electricity" is a little odd. SoA/ToB and BGEE cap the damage reduction at 100% so you are merely immune.

The projectile used for Sunfire doesn't hit the caster but it still applies 100% fire resistance for 3 ticks (half a round) to make sure that the spell doesn't harm the caster.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2013
    Resistance cap is actually 127%. At least in BG2/TOB, dunno about EE.

Otherwise the Nishiru/Haekshar wouldn't work (they have 125% MR).

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited October 2013

In vanilla BG1, having a resistance over 100% would heal you. I have to admit seeing things like "takes (-4) damage from electricity" is a little odd. SoA/ToB and BGEE cap the damage reduction at 100% so you are merely immune.

Not true. I just tested this. I did observe a limit at 127% resistance, but when burning hands was cast I was heald 1 hit point. Then the same thing again. It does not display -1 damage taken though.
    Note: I WAS in the black Pits. I don't know if that would change anything.
  • wampawampa Member Posts: 68

The projectile used for Sunfire doesn't hit the caster but it still applies 100% fire resistance for 3 ticks (half a round) to make sure that the spell doesn't harm the caster.

Ah, I thought Sunfire set fire resistance and did hit the caster, but the caster was simply given fire resistance so they took no damage, and the on-self targetting was why it ended up bypassing MR.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I tested it too, in BGEE. The fire resistance cap is 127 as ZK said. Sunfire adds 100 to your fire resistance (subject to the cap) for a short duration, but the blast doesn't hit you and will not heal you even if your fire resistance is above 100.

I suppose one way to make use of this is by having two characters cast Sunfire at the same time. That might even be the original intent behind the resistance boost. But it's a shame about the cap, as it means the healing will be minimal even with the Dragon Disciple's ability.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Well, yes, the top listed resistance will be 127 but what I meant was "this grants immunity". I know, I know--say what I mean and mean what I say. *shrug* Still...I have not seen BGEE resistance over 100% healing a character like it used to. I will, of course, double-check this today just to make sure.
    @Mathsorcerer It only says "x was immune to my damage" now, rather than displaying a negative number but it still heals them in my testing. But an independent test to verify or disprove will be useful.

Interestingly, I noticed a resistance to "magic fire" stat when I cast Protection from Fire. I wonder how this differs from regular fire resistance. The spell also boosted normal fire resistance and from what I could tell the healing received was based only off the 127 fire (so the magic fire resistance didn't appear to stack).
  • wampawampa Member Posts: 68
    edited October 2013
    @nano Magic Fire (and Magic Cold) damage wasn't actually implemented in the game - pretty sure there are no effects/enemies that use either of these two damage types. The resistances are effectively "leftovers" from planned damage type separation that afaik, never actually occurred.
    @wampa Ah, good to know.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    It would make sense for really high resistances to heal the character, as if you are 125% immune, should you not be healed 25% of the damage concerning that one damage type?
    It is perfectly achievable in AD&D last I checked, and was achievable in vanilla BG1 as well with Fire in particular. Phoenix Guards never stand a chance. :D
  • syllogsyllog Member Posts: 158
    edited December 2013
    Just confirmed on BG:EE v1.2
    Lvl 9 Dragon Sorc : Fire Resist : 50
    Cast Resist Fire on self : Fire Resist: 127 MFire Resist: 50
    Fireballed next to myself: Healed Damage

Note: (1) There is no prompt saying I was healed (but checking the life total makes it clear)
    (2) You still display a 'damage animation' - this can disrupt spells (confirmed with Incendiary Cloud)
    (3) In case you're not caught up your misprint lore: Arcane "Resist Fire" increases Resistance by 80%, not the stated 50%, otherwise the above wouldn't make sense. (Why confusing misprints are still in the game, I have no idea...)
    I REALLY wish being immune(+) to fire didn't allow characters to still be interrupted by Fire "damage".
    It's really silly -- and important, especially for Dragon Sorcerers.
    I was looking forward to casting Incendiary Cloud on myself in BGII -- but as is it interrupts spell casting... :/
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    syllog said:

I REALLY wish being immune(+) to fire didn't allow characters to still be interrupted by Fire "damage".
    It's really silly -- and important, especially for Dragon Sorcerers.
    I was looking forward to casting Incendiary Cloud on myself in BGII -- but as is it interrupts spell casting... :/

In non EE games it can be achieved via ToBEx mod.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    syllog said:

Just confirmed on BG:EE v1.2
    Lvl 9 Dragon Sorc : Fire Resist : 50
    Cast Resist Fire on self : Fire Resist: 127 MFire Resist: 50
    Fireballed next to myself: Healed Damage

Note: (1) There is no prompt saying I was healed (but checking the life total makes it clear)
    (2) You still display a 'damage animation' - this can disrupt spells (confirmed with Incendiary Cloud)
    (3) In case you're not caught up your misprint lore: Arcane "Resist Fire" increases Resistance by 80%, not the stated 50%, otherwise the above wouldn't make sense. (Why confusing misprints are still in the game, I have no idea...)

Simply because people don't report them properly in the bug forum.
    So, well, why not just report it, rather than complain about it ? :D
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Having resistances over always heals, since BG1, except for Magic Resistance (it heals on some magically summoned creatures, but that's another effect).
    Sunfire affects everyone but not the caster, still he rolls for a saving throw vs spell, but failing it means nothing and does nothing, IT AFFECTS EVERYONE BUT NOT THE CASTER.
    Resistances have a limit of 127%, but, if you set them in a higher value, they will stay in that higher value (like the Infernal Shield in PS:T).
    @Aranthys
    Because I checked and it's been a known problem for over a year...
    (And one that one of the beta testers fixed long ago in ToBEx. ...so I don't know why the fix isn't integrated.)