Skip to content

Aec Letec

Have not been able to beat Aec Letec, I have fought him over 30 times. I have used 2 wands of fireballs, Wand of Paralyzation with 12 charges doesn't phase him, Mirrored Eyes doesn't work I still get helded that also included using Protection from Gaze/Kill/Petrification. Even used Greater Malison and Doom I think I have tried everything, even Kagin in the Cloak of Displacement, Mirrored Eyes X2, Protection from Petrification, Stone Giant Stength Potion Still no luck. I made sure all my characters except the Wild Mage had Strength 18 or above.

Can I skip this and go on to next area , I guess it would be Baulder's Gate. I have finished Durlag Tower. Or do I need the dagger to get the drawbridge down to go into Baldur's Gate.

Any help will be appreciated or suggestions

Wigmonster
Stewart

Comments

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    edited October 2013
    Aec'Letec is an optional fight, and you can finish the game without ever fighting him. The reward isn't much anyways, it's more for the challenge than anything.

What characters do you have in your party? I can give you a more detailed strategy with that information.

With the wands of fire you want to take out as many cultists as possible at the start of the fight, rather than aim at him. You can also use summons to tank him. Make sure all the cultists are dead before trying to take him down, then just pile on him with everyone or lead him around with one character while the rest of your party shoots him with missile weapons. Cast Dispel Magic on your party at the end to remove his curse.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    A few suggestions:

Cast Greater Malison on Aec'letec, use Otiluke's Resilient Sphere to trap him, then go to town on the cultists.

If you have Cloudkill, fire one off in the center of the room.

Instead of using Mirrored Eyes, use Potions of Magic Blocking and Magic Protection.

You don't have to finish the fight, but he's worth 16,000 EXP - nothing to sneeze at.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    To avoid being held, I would suggest using a potion of Free Action. The potion of Mirror Eyes is to protect you from his gaze attack which turns you into a zombie.

Make sure your casters are vocalized, or he will most likely silence them as well. Make sure as many people in your party are as buffed up as they can be, protection from magic, scrolls/potions etc.

And as mentioned, kill the cultists first, or you will have a very troublesome fight ;)
    Shooting off a few fireballs (wands, spells) help to take down the cultists.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I often use a wand of monster summoning to surround Aec'Letec as soon as the fight starts. This way he's usually busy spamming spells on them and not the party. It buys you time to kill the cultists and spam debuffs at him with your casters.

Greater Malison, Doom, Slow and various others can soften him up for further spellcasting or a wand of paralysation.

The most important thing is: don't kill Aec until all the cultists are dead, or you'll just need to start over.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    what you want is the potion of magic shielding. I've never used the potion of mirror eyes to counter his death gaze, but i do know that the PoMS works. It means you make all your saves. So with one (or two) characters engaging aec, the rest can concentrate on killing the mage and the cultists

and of course you need your protection from fear before you start the fight on all party members. one the mage is down use doom and greater malison on aec, then the wand of paralysation
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    At first I thought the OP was a troll...
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Never used anything against petrification either. I usually depend on shorty saves and free action (Spider's Bane and Ring of Free Action or potions), fireballs from wands against the cultists and in case the potions expire, some Dispel Magic memorized. You can buy Improved Invisibility in Ulgoth's Beard, so I usually have the bard invisible with dispels and wands in a corner, summons or charmed cultists to distract Aec'letec and the shorties cut the cultists down.
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    In vanilla, I fondly remember Aec Letec going down almost instantly using cloudkill. I don't know if this weakness remains in BGEE, but it would be cool if it still did.

@SpaceInvader - Did you consider OP a troll for having trouble winning one of the most challenging battles in the game? I can't see the reasoning behind that.
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
    He was pretty easy for me. Just destroyed the cultists with large area magics (fireball etc) then summoned creatures to hold off Aec'Letec while Kivan shot at him. Though I did lose Safana in the fight when Aec'Letec randomly went up to her and tore her apart, Abdel backstabbed him with the Dagger of Venom, causing his death :D
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Tactic I found useful was using two missile necklaces, two fire wands and two fireball potions, all fired simultaneously, to kill all the cultists on the get go. Then I spread the party to minimize risk of spells affecting more than one or two, had two melee fighters with 'free action' potions pummel him, spell casters trowing anything they had at him, and an archer in the corner sniping with piercing arrows.

The archer had a secondary task of shooting with arrows of dispell at any party members who became panicked, blinded, deafened or paralyzed.

(I LOVE that in BG you can target your allies with potentially harmful spells or weapons. DA:O made it impossible, which caused me no end of grief when I couldn't use a spell combo that a godsdamn spell description claimed is possible. Grr!
    ...Ahem. Please excuse me, I think I need to go sit in a corner somewhere for a while.
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Huh...Mirrored eyes worked against him in vanilla, did it change in EE?

It made the fight easy, I just left the cleric's/mages up top had my warriors chug speed oils and loaded them all up with free-action gear. I kept them away from him and when he got close they bounced to another cultist. All the while I had an archer blasting the demon with Acid/Biting arrows. Truth be told once your immune to the insta-death and holding the fight is actually REALLY easy. Once you get those two buffs you can pretty much tank the battle without breaking a sweat. Well, in Vanilla you could anyways I'm not sure how it is in EE.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Syntia13 said:

(I LOVE that in BG you can target your allies with potentially harmful spells or weapons. DA:O made it impossible, which caused me no end of grief when I couldn't use a spell combo that a godsdamn spell description claimed is possible. Grr!
    ...Ahem. Please excuse me, I think I need to go sit in a corner somewhere for a while.

i am guess you mean the one that stops a creature from moving, but they also take no damage? if so then yeah, i've tried to do that too and i can get it to work. seemed like it would be very useful but then it is one of the worst spells you could get because if i remember right many of the powerful enemies just resist it
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Syntia13 said:

What spell/combo are you referring to from DA?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I got all the spell combos in DA:O. I believe there are ten, or so. Storm of the Century was always a laugh. especially when you cast it indoors.
  • WigmonsterWigmonster Member Posts: 38
    Space Invader

I didn't drink 2 Mirrored Eye potions right behind one another. When one wore off then I drank the 2nd one. I'm not that big of a nitwit

Wigmonster
  • WigmonsterWigmonster Member Posts: 38
    My party is:

Main Character: Monk LvL 7
    Minsc Lvl 7
    Wild Mage Lvl 8
    Imoen Lvl 8
    Branwen Lvl 7
    Kagain Lvl 7

That is my party I tend to go through an area fast so I don't end up leveling up very high.

Wigmonster
  • jhneohjhneoh Member Posts: 42
    You'll need:

1.) A Tank. This guy should have the lowest AC you can get, along with Potion of Invulnerability, Cloak of Displacement, Ring of Protection +2 to lower his Death saving throw to 0 or below. His job is to draw Aec'letec's attention, that's it. Yeslick or an Inquisitor is a good choice because his Dispel Magic ability can save another character if Aec'letec targets somebody else.

MAKE SURE YOU SEND HIM DOWN ALONE FIRST! Drag him to the far side of the room as far away from the staircase as possible, to lower the chance of him targetting somebody else with Death Gaze.

2.) Massive DPS. Buff all your fighters with Potions of Haste, Potions of Heroism, Potions of Storm Giant Strength. Ranged characters should be using Potions of Haste, Potions of Heroism, Potions of Mindfocusing and Acid Arrows

3.) Once the tank has Aec'letec's attention, focus fire on the Cultists. Fireballs and Cloudkill can hit more than one at a time, speeding up the process.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited October 2013
    I have a three-step guerilla strategy for this fight that always works for me. It is easily possible with your current party.

1. First, kill the head cultist mage without alerting Aec Lectec. Use a hide in shadows (or invisible character) character to enter the basement (e.g. Imoen). Walk to the stairs, right below the point at which you'd exit the stairway (marked by the stairway icon). Fire your bow at the head cultist, pause the game, leave immediately for the upstairs. Hide/conceal yourself again, re-enter the basement and repeat this cycle of guerilla attacks until she's dead. Never fire on the head cultist if Aec Lectec is in view, otherwise you will alert him.

2. Next, kill the cultists, again without alerting Aec Lectec. Send in an invisible character, preferably one who can use acid arrows (Imoen is an option). Send this concealed character into the basement and immediately go for the corners. You will find you can get all cultists in sight without having Aec Lectec in sight if you stick to the far edges of the room. Pick off the cultists one-by-one with missile attacks. After you kill a cultist, hide again, move to another cultist and repeat.Never fire on a cultist if Aec Lectec is in view, otherwise you will alert him.

If you kill all cultists before ever alerting Aec Lectec, this is an easy battle.

3. Next, have the hidden character leave the basement. It's time to buff for the fight with Aec Lectec.

First, importantly, make sure all characters are protected from paralysis. Aec Lectec's paralyzing attack is most deadly and in my opinion the worse part of the fight next to his reincarnation powers. Protect yourself against paralysis using potions of freedom, the spell free action, or equipping a ring of free action. Second, have some protection from magic potions and scrolls handy for emergencies, just in case your characters can that annoying ghoul curse. Third, have all melee characters (Kaigan/Minsc) drink the best strength potion you have. Other buffs such as Improved Invisibility are useful, but not necessary. You can also have Branwen cast protection from evil. If there are no remaining cultists, you can literally charge Aec Lectec with melee characters and kill him quickly. You can't be paralyzed, Aec Lectec cannot reincarnate (all cultists are dead) and the damage you will do will far outweigh any life he can drain from you. Fourth and most importantly, keep your wild mage faaaaaaaaaaaar away from this fight. You don't want him/her silenced, paralyzed, or killed in a hurry.
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    there are some cheap ways to do this:

Kill one or two clone men at a time- after they are dead, go up the stairs quicksave and try again- BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU QUICKSAVE THOUGH- you can save it when they are sick and will pop into undead moments after the save- look for snake icon....

cheap way two: go down summon a lot of monsters or cloudkill then use invisibility and they will kill the clones. when they die summon more monsters and go invisible again...

have one charater run in run to a far corner have atec follow you then go invisible than have other charaters come down the stairs and kill the cloners near the stairs he will be far way in the fog...

easiest way I found thoug is just kill one at a time go up save then go again... but it is funny when you quicksave then popppppp you just saved a game with an imminent death...
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427

Abdel

...This is unacceptable.
    I used the mission pack as, for some unknown reason, Durlag's Tower wasn't appearing on the map when I used my original characters.
    @Schneidend @ChildofBhaal599 I'm talking about Shockwave. The description is in codex is:
    "An adventurer beset from all sides may find solace within the temporary confines of a Force Field spell, which temporarily protects aganist all damage. Since the spell also prohibits movement, however, the original situation will still persist once the spell fails. If a mage casts Crushing Prison atop the Force Field, the contradictory effects will result in a spectacular disintergration of both spells, generating a shockwave that harms all in the area except the original subject standing in the epicenter."
    Except you can't cast 'damaging' Crushing Prison on allies, so this codex is either waste of time, or a big fat lie. I lean towards 'big fat lie', since there's several more instances in the game when I was told I'd be able to do something, but then the game's mechanics disallowed it. I hate it when this happens. >:|
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Syntia13
    Oh, yeah, that is annoying. Using Force Field on allies was awesome. Being able to turn Alistair into a bomb would have been even more awesome. I can picture it now:
    "Guys! Guys, I'm in trouble over he- *frozen*...*explosion*...Oh, well, I guess that's all right, then."

Being able to cast spells on allies does open up so many strategies. Try making one of your people immune to fire damage, walk behind a group of enemies, then cast Agannazar's Scorcher on them and have them run around clotheslining enemies with fire!
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    Potion of Freedom (and ring of freedom, ...) will prevent the annoying Held spell.
    Potion of Mirrored Eyes / Gaze Protection will prevent the Demon Gaze spell, which causes your NPC's to be "dying" until they explode into a Ghast.
    Drink those 2 potions with every NPC. Focus your attacks on the summoners first before attacking Aec'Letec. Use wands of frost with your mages. With those hints, the fight should be a walk in the park.

If you're still having trouble, cast a few fireballs to damage the summoners, and use potions of heroism (plenty of drops in the combats leading up to Aec'Letec) on your fighters to increase HP & reduce THAC0.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Syntia13 said:

@Schneidend @ChildofBhaal599 I'm talking about Shockwave. The description is in codex is:
    "An adventurer beset from all sides may find solace within the temporary confines of a Force Field spell, which temporarily protects aganist all damage. Since the spell also prohibits movement, however, the original situation will still persist once the spell fails. If a mage casts Crushing Prison atop the Force Field, the contradictory effects will result in a spectacular disintergration of both spells, generating a shockwave that harms all in the area except the original subject standing in the epicenter."
    Except you can't cast 'damaging' Crushing Prison on allies, so this codex is either waste of time, or a big fat lie. I lean towards 'big fat lie', since there's several more instances in the game when I was told I'd be able to do something, but then the game's mechanics disallowed it. I hate it when this happens. >:|

Oh I remember this one now! Of course you only get the shockwave codex entry after performing the combo, so...

Oh I remember this one now! Of course you only get the shockwave codex entry after performing the combo, so...

You can perform it - but only on enemies, which makes much less sense, (why would you put a protective barrier on the enemy? - it takes him out of fight for a moment, but prevents you from hurting him), and goes against the description. It would make much more sense to send your tank in the middle of big enemy group, put a force field on him to protect him - then promptly send crushing prison, which frees the tank, simultaneously paralyzing most of the goons crowding him. Perfect tactic.
    Instead, if you want to use it at all, you have to risk paralyzing your own guys, while leaving at least one enemy (the one targeted with the combo) moving and unharmed. Stupid!tactic. . :/
    Anyway, I'm gonna shut up now, stop derailing the thread, and chant "15th of November's coming, 15th of November's coming..." :D
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Syntia13 said:

You can perform it - but only on enemies, which makes much less sense, (why would you put a protective barrier on the enemy? - it takes him out of fight for a moment, but prevents you from hurting him), and goes against the description. It would make much more sense to send your tank in the middle of big enemy group, put a force field on him to protect him - then promptly send crushing prison, which frees the tank, simultaneously paralyzing most of the goons crowding him. Perfect tactic.
    Instead, if you want to use it at all, you have to risk paralyzing your own guys, while leaving at least one enemy (the one targeted with the combo) moving and unharmed. Stupid!tactic. . :/
    Anyway, I'm gonna shut up now, stop derailing the thread, and chant "15th of November's coming, 15th of November's coming..." :D
    I've used it to disable high dps targets, so it has a use on the other team. but yeah, this combo would be better used on your own team
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.