Skip to content

Taloun, Isle of Balduran (spoilers)

UnferthUnferth Member Posts: 27
In a hut on the Isle of Balduran (big place, SW) there's a guy named Taloun: he's an Amnish sailor who washed ashore and joined the clan. Presumably this means he, er, "belongs" (indeed, he's able to transform) but attacking him doesn't trigger hostility among the other villagers. Any idea why that would be? He's evil, but so are some others (attacking them gets you in trouble), and besides: if the clan like him so little that they don't care if he's murdered, why did they admit him in the first place? He was an outsider. Why not off him themselves?

Comments

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Speaking to Kaishas, the only real crime is wanting to leave. They'll all be flagged as "evil" because of game logic rather than him actually eating babies.

They don't reject outsiders outright. They accept reality as long as they follow certain rules. Exactly like 90% of other human populations.
  • UnferthUnferth Member Posts: 27
    @Corvino Yes, if you cast Detect Evil while the townspeople are in werewolf form, they all register as evil. But if you cast it while they're in human form, only a few do: Taloun, Jorin, Kaishas, Tailas...there might be others. That's kind of an aside, though; I was just wondering aloud if there could be some diegetic rationale (as opposed to a simple programming oversight) why the islanders don't attack when you kill Taloun—e.g., "who cares, everyone hates Taloun." But as you say, there's no reason to think that's true. He has an unusual story, but he seems as much a part of the clan as anyone else. If they dislike him enough not to bat an eyelash when he's mercurially slaughtered, why did they accept him to begin with? I guess the point is that I can't make sense of it as anything other than a kind of bug, but I wondered what others thought.