Skip to content

Attribute Drain Immunity MIGHT be possible

CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
While fooling with NI, I've discovered (many people know this things but I've discovered this now) that Attribute draining actually are negative Attribute bonuses (yes, bonuses I've said, like Draw Upon Holy Might, but negative), and the BG2 EFF file "Immunity from Effect" gave me the Idea to make another EFF for each Attribute (Constitution Bonus would have another EFF file like Constitution Bonus 2 (like Haste 2 and Movement Rate Bonus2) :D ) and the Spells and Creatures that drain Abilities could be changed, for example, to Constitution Bonus 2 instead of the other one, so bosses from ToB couldn't be killed with Shape-change+Mind Flyer form, or some item given Immunity's to psiconics (that WILL nerf the ithilids a LOT), Psion's Sword+5 from ToB could, alongside with the Brine Potion use this to make some characters/potion drinkers/spellcasters to become immune to the most devastating effect in the infinity engine: No-save Attribute drain.
This will go fine with Thethoril and Arkanis Gath (the one when you've joined the ST), who are not supposed to be killable.

NOTE:Maybe this is a crazy kid-thought, I haven't tried it, and as nothing uses it in the games, it might be impossible in this way too.

Comments

• ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    Is it not normally possible?

I would love to see this changed, I hate getting attribute drained by those pesky shadows
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @ghostowl that's supposed to happen, but maybe this make Arkanis Gath or Thethoril TRULY unkillable, and adding it to ToB bosses might go well.
    It isn't supposed to give immunity to your party (or you solo character), and maybe it don't works at all.
    Yeah, I remember when those shadows killed Yawn Yawnsen (Jan Jansen) only w/attribute draining STR points, but the Mind Flyers are the real pain.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Not sure what the premise is here. I've played several mods with items that prevented attribute drains (usually INT), they worked just fine.
    @Lord_Tansheron so it might work?? Maybe they've used a different type of coding, I do not know.
    But if it was implemented in a mod, it is not sooooo impossible as I've heard! Still wondering if that happened, why Thethoril isn't immune to it...
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I remember killing Melissan the final boss with the wisdom draining sword. Well, the joke was on me because the game couldnt continue. She was suppose to get scripted to gather more essence, but since she was dead, that was impossible.
    @bbear I've tried Limited Wish-> Shape-Change+Improved Haste and the Change Mind Flyer Form, after her death, the game waited for some seconds and, spawned another Amelyssan, who was easily killed by the same way, then the game crashed :P.
    Its too cheesy (I am the worst cheater EVER, in only one BG2 play-trough I haven't made infinite money to skip chapter 2), so I'd like some ToB bosses to be protected against it.
    Also, the WIS draining sword entitles the victim to make a save vs death (or it says so in the description :P)