Skip to content

BG:EE, a review of sorts

Hello everyone.

I'd just like to take a few minutes of your time to go through the changes that have been made to Baldurs Gate by the devs and how I, as a seasoned Baldurs Gate fan, enjoy / dislike the changes.

First of all, much kudos for actually picking up and improving the engine for Baldurs Gate. It's one of the best CRPGs out there - and they sure don't make games like these anymore.

I've been playing Baldurs Gate since my father bought me my first computer, back when the game was released with the 5 CD pack. Oh the joy of changing CDs all the time. I remember feeling like the game was huge, immence and fed my imagination like no other game had done before. I was a kid, sure - but this game has always been with me through my entire life. I'm not that much of a 'gamer' of sorts, but every once in a while I head on over to the Baldurs Gate no reload thread at Biowares site - and partake in the challenge under this same handle - to get my mind of my studies or to have some nostalgic fun. Anywho, enough about me.

Baldurs Gate is an epic game, where you can create and forge your very own hero or villain, through endless challenges and puzzles. You are free to do as you please, and kill whomever you please (to some extent) - but you will thus face the consequences of your decisions. Baldurs Gate is a journey through a grand world, where swords and spells equals might. It's impressive character gallery, storyline and voice acting - Baldurs Gate has surely bedazzled many a roleplayer for years.

But what about the enhanced edition? How was it implemented and did it truly add to the magnificent experience that is Baldurs Gate? I would answer that question both yes and no.

First of all, the engine and graphics are much better - sure, some bugs followed but that's mandatory at this stage. Though the cinematics are refreshing, they are bland and poorly made. In this day and age, those cinematics could have been magnificent, instead they reek of cheap quality.

Secondly, the new characters added - one secret without quests and three characters with their own sidequests, is a welcome addition, though again; the execution could have been better. Now, Rashaad and Dorn are quite well made - both in story and actors - even though it seems like whomever created Rashaad forgot how Monks work in this edition of AD&D, ranking him very low as a contender for a party slot. Neera has a broken story, filled with bugs and poor voice acting. Sure, she plays her role decently - but an example of shoddy voice acting is apparent when an attempt to aid her in Beregost occurs; namely through the Red Wizard's dialog: "Ekendor? Where did you go?" which truly puts the rest of Baldurs Gate to shame. Likewise goes for Senjak and Dorothea, whence the dialect is far off and the voice actor is mumbling.

Furthermore, we have the portraits - which, as I am no artist, surely are decent - but lacking in comparison to the old ones; especially those in Baldurs Gate 2. Dorne and Rashaad's are probably the worst and I rarely use them because they stick out like sore thumbs. This is something that shines through the entire experience, from voice acting, to portraits to the new areas in the game. They are of much poorer quality than the old areas - especially the goblin town in Neeras quest, and the exterior of the snow temple in Rashaad's.

All in all, and don't take this the wrong way, the changes to this game seems to walk hand in hand with something I find most RPGs made today tend to have; a lack of imagination and creativity. There is so much potential for increasing this experience, to add to the magnificent foundation Black Isle left behind - and to properly adorn one of the greatest CRPGS of our time with additions of utmost quality and care.

I understand that none of what I say matters in the end, as it will simply be a voice singing to the wind - but hopefully, one day - one game company will hear my song and perhaps it may spark the dwindling fire of modern day RPGs.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    Very thought out review.
    With BG:EE the devs took a larger bite that they could chew, at least at the beginning. Just the fact that someone is dusting off Infinity Engine and improving it that alone is enough for me in BG:EE.
    Sure, the new areas are a bit sub standard, but I don't much care. Icewind Dale feeling is there anyway and that's what counts.
    For BG2:EE however everything must be at the same level, I mean graphics, voice acting, new additions etc. because now, the devs developed new features, there are tests for the new patch etc. so BG:EE is kind of a lab rat, at least thats how I see it. BG2:EE should have this worked out, because if not, well I will still play it, but I won't buy anything else from Beamdog.
    The guys have a lot of resources at their disposal, they have enthusiasm and love for this great game and an outstanding community of fans. So I really hope they deliver what they promised this time.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Weird, I liked the new art. The BG1 portraits are... well, let's just say the BGEE ones are a huge step up.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited October 2013
    nano said:

Weird, I liked the new art. The BG1 portraits are... well, let's just say the BGEE ones are a huge step up.

I like them too. I think the problem is for most people that they are stylistically different compared to the old ones.

Edit. Typo.
  • EasymaskEasymask Member Posts: 22
    I'm sure the artwork is acceptable to some, as art in itself is impossible to truly judge one way or the other. Perhaps it is merely my taste that interferes, it is hard to say.

In comparison, I would say http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9158/dornportrait.jpg is of worse quality than http://www.bg2.de/chars/Keldorn.jpg

Though both are quite pale in comparison to say, this portrait http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4593/b0y1.jpg

Oh well, 'tis a good thing you can easily change the portraits - but it sure would be nice with some new ones of higher quality.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah, but it's kinda unfair to compare BGEE portraits to BG2 when BGEE is a BG1 game. If you compare the other BG1 portraits to BG2 portraits it's just as big of a difference. I think the BGEE portraits fit the BG1 style quite well. If you throw in a super high quality portrait it looks out of place even if it's "better" when viewed on its own. For this reason I stick to custom portraits that are similar in style or have been "Baldurized".
    In that case I would have to say that they missed with the new portraits, seeing as how the artwork is much more similar to Icewind Dale than Baldurs Gate.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I think nano is talking about the NPCs rather than the Jason Manley portraits. I might be wrong, though.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    @Easymask I agree that several NPCs in Neera's quest have subpar voice acting ("What? Not again!") but I don't have an issue with Neera, Rasaad and Dorn themselves (OK, Rasaad's portrait is crappy, why couldn't they have used his concept art instead?).

The goblin village has an unnatural crispness to it, like an artificial border on everything, and the zone outside of Rasaad's quest temple was downright disorienting to walk through. It was pretty, but somehow the scale felt wrong or the depth perception.

Overall though, I find the game truly is "enhanced" and I am willing to overlook these problems if Beamdog continues to improve.
    @LordRumfish Great post, and glad to hear that I am not the only one seeing these things. Hah, aye - the "What? Not again!" is dreadful.

'tis not truly meant as simple critique, but rather to perhaps indulge the developers that we expect more. Certainly, they have done an outstanding job enhancing the experience thus far - yet, once you attempt to improve something, please do refrain from using sub-par enhancements. Introducing "improvements" that are far worse than the original content is questionable and I hope this will be done better in the future.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I never disliked Neera's voice acting, but the main problem I have with it is that it's very modern. Compared to the many other characters in the game, her plainly adolescent/American accent sticks out like a sore thumb. Not necessarily bad, but jarring to say the least.

As for Rasaad and Dorn... Rasaad's got that wise-monk tone down very well, and I could drown in Dorn's deep, husky voice. "It shall be even bloodier than you hoped!" *melts*

I can't say much for the quest dialogue quality (been a while since I heard it), but I thoroughly enjoyed the voice-acting for all three of these new cast members. And with Baldur's Gate 2 EE on the horizon, I can only expect they'll get better.
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    edited October 2013
    @Easymask
    You make some valid points.
    Especially the new cinematics are extremely subpar in my opinion, not to forget, there are missing some.
    Sure, the old ones aren't pretty, too, but the new ones are simply purely executed.

The new areas are ok, not too special but not bad either. Nothing in comparison to the wonderfully done areas in BG2 or Icewind Dale.

The new NPCs are actually pretty good, I don't mind Neeras voiceacting (though I'm no native speaker).
    The new portraits don't fit the style of the old ones, but they're mostly artfully done and that's what matters to me.

I like very much the engine improvements, some new bugs as a result are to expect, but Beamdog is willing to eliminate them.

Overall, I am content with the EE, but it could have been better.
    I don't regret buying it.