Skip to content

Only one character is allowed to speak at a time?

I've noticed that when i click on different party members in quick succession, only one is able to speak at a single time. Here's an example of what I mean:

*clicks on Xzar*
"Stoooooooooppppp touchi--" *clicks on Montaron*
"You spoke at --" *clicks on Imoen*
"You're all buffle h--" *clicks on Xzar*
"Your voice is amb--" *clicks on Montaron*
...etc.

In the non-beta version, each would continue to say his or her line even after I'd clicked on another character.

This issue has been present through all versions of the beta, and appears to apply to non-party characters as well . Basically, it seems that the game only allows a single voice to speak at one time, and will cut off that voice when a second voice starts to speak.

Can anyone say whether this is a bug or intended behavior?

Comments

• ThunderSoulThunderSoul Member Posts: 125
    I really hope it is true for environment chars as well. I hate it when 10 people speak at the same time *seizure*.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @Dee
    Would be nice to have this confirmed as a bug or a feature ;)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I really don't mind the new change.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    We can look at making it an option, but if this isn't a critical issue, I don't know that it's worth holding the patch for.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    I would say, it isn't *really* critical, but please, add an option to choose the behaviour in the future, because part of the charm is hearing the full sentences of the NPCs, even if that means hearing two of them at the same time at times.
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    An honest question, partially on topic, partially off-topic:
    Is it that much work to make stuff like this and the green scroll colour optional rather than permament? I've often wondered about the lack of options in some games and in operating systems.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Anything changed in the code requires extensive testing of the whole game to make sure it doesn't break something. It also means rearranging buttons in the UI (on the Options screens), which also requires testing.

By itself it might not be a huge amount of work, but it means taking time away from other things that may be more important. When it comes down to it you might have to make a choice between fixing a critical game-breaking bug such as Sarevok being immune to damage, or adding an option to turn off a feature that a vocal minority dislikes. In a perfect world you could do both, but that's not always possible.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Dee said:

but if this isn't a critical issue, I don't know that it's worth holding the patch for.

Nowhere near critical imo. And delaying the patch because of new features that a sample size of a limited amount of testers may or may not like would seem like very convoluted procedure.

• hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    edited October 2013
    Pecca said:

Why was this even implemented?

Exactly. It makes no sense to me.
    Nothing to hold back the patch, but please change it back to the original behavior soon after.
    And I would argue, this isn't just the opinion of a minority.

• IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752

Not only immersion breaking, but can potentially screw up an important interaction.

In my game (with latest beta, in principle identical to the final patch), it's only selection or action talk that is cut by another similar action. For instance Jaheira had her comment about something keep on playing when I selected another character. So that you wouldn't loose any important interaction since the game won't have two of these interactions at the same time.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    I would really like to see this change reverted back to way it is before. At least I don't really see any benefit in having it, but as negative this change seems to be cutting out lot of character sounds do their part in bringing the game world alive. Eg. I was just next to Durlag's ghost, and saw from his circle that he had made the "ghost sound", but since I had just clicked on Dorn that was completely cut out.

For me perhaps the weirdest part about this whole thing is that someone taught that THIS was worth spending time, especially so close to the release of BG2EE.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    And you're complaining about that?

Sounds like paradise...