*** PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING. ***
As seen in the link above, one of our brethren on this forum asked the question "Has the community given it's feedback on the Touch Screen Interface and Enhancements to it" and while I answered "yes" to this question, we've never done a consolidated community suggestion thread for the Touchscreen Interface.
And then I realized, as I am a Beta Tester and DO have access to make suggestions and requests, maybe I should just facilitate a discussion on enhancements to the touch interface. So that's what this is. As with my "Known Bugs" post, I'd like to lay out a few rules of Engagement before opening the discussion:
1) This is NOT the place to **complain** about the interface. If you're just dying to tell everyone how crappy you think the iPad interface is, find one of the other multitude of threads to complain in...or start a new one. This thread is for suggesting changes and additional functionality. The difference is "When I drag the screen it registers a tap and my characters move...WAHHHH!" vs. "Because of the Tap/Drag/Move issue, I recommend Tap/Drag become a two finger drag while 1 finger is ONLY used for tapping."
2) This is NOT the place to report bugs about the current interface. If current functionality doesn't work (such as the bug about tapping the open bag button really closing the bag), please register that in the "Known Bugs" thread stickied at the top of this forum. Again, this is for ENHANCEMENTS or MODIFICATIONS to the interface.
3) This IS the place to request new functionality out of the interface or to request changing a gesture to make the interface run better.
4) This IS a discussion thread. Feel free to disagree with suggestions (NICELY) but try to add your own suggested solution. If you know something doesn't work, feel free to say that, but it's MUCH BETTER if you say not only that something doesn't work but here's what does.
5) Please disagree with the IDEAS not the PEOPLE. No one is an idiot because they suggested a 5 finger drag or something the iPad can't do for an event. Please be Respectful when disagreeing.
6) Please try to stay on topic. That will help me keep the ideas consolidated.
7) If you have iOS Development Experience and know something will or will not work, or you have better insight into the discussion at hand, please label yourself as such. The more "Experts" we can get on a thread, the better. That said, if you do NOT have experience or are just guessing at something please DO NOT label yourself as knowledgeable. Suggesting changes that cannot be executed because they're not possible will not get changes made to the interface.
8) Features that already exist in the Windows/Mac version of the game but do not have a corresponding Gesture on the iPad will be more likely to be implemented than requests for additional game functionality. Both types of suggestions have their place in this thread, but the more focus we can put on existing functionality than new functionality, the more suggestions will get looked at.
Please understand, I HAVE NO PULL WITH THE DEVELOPERS. I am facilitating this discussion so I can put in some consolidated tickets regarding the touch screen interface for the project staff to look at and decided what to do with. THERE IS *NO GUARANTEE* THAT ANYTHING HERE WILL EVER GET IMPLEMENTED. This is all, in essence, unasked for suggestions and advice.
That said, if we, as a community, can agree on simple modifications and/or additional gestures for features that are already implemented (I would use "waypoints" as an example here), I think there is a strong reason for the developers to look at an interface pass, specifically since that would benefit both the iPad version of BG2:EE and the Android versions of both BG:EE and BG2:EE.
You all have been AWESOME with the Known Bugs thread in not mucking it up with useless chatter. Please take the same care here, and we may be able to get some good enhancements into our beloved iPad version of the games.