Skip to content

BG:EE won't lauch with new update

I just downloaded the new BG:EE update, but now after trying to launch through the launcher nothing happens and I am receiving the message "You cant open Baldurs Gate because PowerPC applications are no longer supported" Anyone know what's up with this?

Comments

• greigb99greigb99 Member Posts: 3
    Same here. Getting pretty annoyed with the consistent plethora of problems here. That'll likely be it for 2 months while they "work on a fix".
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    edited November 2013
    What's your setup? OsX version and computer setup?

It worked for me, macbook air 20012 with Mavericks.
    Post edited by Vintrastorm on
  • AdeptAdept Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    I encountered the same issue. However, I was able to get the game to run by launching the executable found in: /Applications/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00777/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/MacOS

edit: I've since upgraded to Mavericks and the launcher is now working.
    Post edited by Adept on
  • zagzillazagzilla Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue. Upgraded to the new version when prompted and now I am getting the message "You cant open the application Baldurs Gate - Enhanced Edition because PowerPC applications are no longer supported" WTF??? I am running OSX 10.7.5 I am not interested in upgrading to Mavericks.
  • heero_gwheero_gw Member Posts: 54
    edited November 2013
  • comatorycomatory Member Posts: 30
    Beamdog, for real? I updated via launcher and it went fine. When I click launch, launcher closes and nothing happens. When I launch BG directly from Gamedata/00777 it says PowerPC is not supported. (Is there some Rosetta code in or what?)

This is a letdown as I started it playing again after a hiatus and enjoyed it, now I'm stuck and can;t play. Any way around this? Deleting plist file in /Library/containers/com.beamdogxxxxxxx didn't help.

I am on OS X Mavericks, before the upgrade the game ran just fine. I have 2009 Quad Core Mac Pro, ATI HD5870 GPU.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @comatory
    Open up the launcher and in the "Baldur's Gate Launcher" menu at the top of the screen, select "Repair Install". Let me know if that doesn't fix the problem.
    Dee said:

@comatory
    Open up the launcher and in the "Baldur's Gate Launcher" menu at the top of the screen, select "Repair Install". Let me know if that doesn't fix the problem.

nope, doesnt work
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Please try the suggestions in this post, and let us know if you are still having trouble.
  • CelthalionCelthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 16
    I can't get the patch. It's been sitting on "2.3 GB of 2.3 GB" for over an hour with no progress.
    Same problem. Tried completely removing every trace of the game and redownloading it. Now I get to the end of the download an it just sits there saying "Waiting to download". Never before have I had so many problems with a game - come on, how do you take a working game and break it with a patch?!

Incompetent doesn't even begin to describe...
    edited November 2013
    Agreed. I figured a full install would fix it but that doesn't seem to be the case.

EDIT: My launcher eventually sorted itself out and I was able to launch the game.
    Post edited by Celthalion on
    Cerevant said:

Please try the suggestions in this post, and let us know if you are still having trouble.

Tried step four and it still doesnt work.

Agreed. I figured a full install would fix it but that doesn't seem to be the case.

EDIT: My launcher eventually sorted itself out and I was able to launch the game.

What version does your game claim to be? I managed to get this far too, but I can't play multiplayer (which is what I want to do) because it says it's version 1.2 (isn't the latest build meant to be 1.0.2014?). Another strange thing is that the game's main menu appears to have changed!
    The latest version is 1.2 - what problem are you seeing with Multiplayer?
    comatory said:

Cerevant said:

Tried step four and it still doesnt work.
    Ok, probably need to do a complete re-install then:

Go/Library, and delete the entire Containers/com.beamdog.* (rename or back up this folder to retain your save games)
    Delete the Game data folder, including the BGEE app
    Download the installer from http://www.beamdog.com/products/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-for-os-x and run it
    greigb99 said:

What version does your game claim to be? I managed to get this far too, but I can't play multiplayer (which is what I want to do) because it says it's version 1.2 (isn't the latest build meant to be 1.0.2014?). Another strange thing is that the game's main menu appears to have changed!

Mine is now v1.2.0, which is the most recent version. The updated menu looks like it is more scalable, like they now have the space to add additional menu items beyond Tutorial, Baldur's Gate, Black Pits, etc.
    Well reinstalling the game worked for me. There was new update waiting for me this morning, oh I should not have done that. None of my saved games work now (I can start a new game, play Black Pits but nothing else). This is really crappy, I should have just stick with the old version, everything worked for me well.
    OK tried reinstalling the game, still nothing works. Here's the error log. Thank god I didnt update to 1.2 on my laptop and can finish the game there:

http://pastebin.com/pHC4ZuLN
    Do you have any mods installed? If there is a bgee.sql in override, or in your portraits directory (Documents/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/portraits) delete it and see if that helps.

Everyone reporting in this thread should describe if disabling extensions helps or not.
    Im using OS X version. I do not use any mods. Dont know what you mean by extensions or bgee.sql.