Skip to content

Question about BG2 Player homes ,Paladin/Blackguard

If there really actually are people who haven't played BG2 yet: Spoiler warning!

In the past one of the thinks i enjoyed most about BG2 was the player class specific homes and the mission that come with it.Since i haven't played all classes i only know about the castle for fighters,the home sphere thingie for mages,the forest for druids and the thief guild for thiefs.
So i was wondering since i have never played a Paladin,what do they get? Do they get the same castle as fighters or do they get to work for a temple(i think thats probatly what the clerics get) ?

Also i wondered how that would work for an Blackguard.He would probatly just get the castle i guess since they wouldn't let him work for a temple (at least not for a good god.)

Comments

• LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Paladins have a whole thing with the Radiant Heart. If you want to know more about it, look up a guide at GameFAQS.

Blackguards will get the fighter stronghold.
  • MermidionMermidion Member Posts: 69
    Thanks for the quick answer. maybe i will look at GamefAQs. Or maybe if i am ever bored enough i will actually start a Paladin in BG2 EE ;) .

As i thought the Blackguards will get the stronghold since it made the most sense.i liked it and its a nice quest-line. And its far Easier then giving them something on ther own or changing an existing quest-line like the Paladin ones. Hopefully i can manage to be an Evil ruler without getting a peasant uprising :D
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Just a heads-up for Paladins from a stronghold point of view. You want to kill Firkraag. We all do. Just don't do it until the Order of the Radiant Heart ask you to, or you miss out on a couple of things.
    huh.good to know.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Paladins have a whole thing with the Radiant Heart. If you want to know more about it, look up a guide at GameFAQS.

Blackguards will get the fighter stronghold.

I will be extremely disappointed if this is true.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    I'm fairly sure that was already semi-officially announced.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited November 2013
    Strongholds are somewhat large quests. It's unlikely the devs would dedicate a bunch of resources on sidequests meant for a single kit when they can focus on content that can be played by any class.

Granted, most of it (or maybe even all of it) involves taking one or more of the new NPCs along, but they have a way larger appeal than a single kit.

Hell, if the De'Arnise keep is good enough for the Monk, it's certainly good enough for the Blackguard.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited November 2013
    I would love to see a stronghold apiece for Monk & Blackguard.
  • Why not combined? Destroy a lair of devils for Sune/Shar/Yours truly Demon lord, making it a Happy/dark/horrific place.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I think they announced that Blackguard would get an existing stronghold, but not which one it was. People just assumed the Fighter one.
    @Kilivitz Like i said,thats the reason why it makes the most sense that they get the fighter stronghold.

@artificial_sunlight Heh,that would be fun indeed but i think its still to much work. But hey,maybe they make player char strongholds in BG3 (yes please) and maybe then it can happen.
    @Eudaemonium oh i see.well it does make the most sense
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I don't know why people think the Fighter stronghold makes the most sense for blackguards - literally every single quest in that particular area requires you to do "good" decisions in order to remain popular; pick too many evil options and you'll incite a revolt. How is any of that appropriate to an evil PC?
    @shawne Yeah that IS kind of a problem with the quests. i think so too.
    It just made the most sense since you get to be a ruler of a castle and a not bound to any guild/religion. It would be very difficult for him to have the mage sphere since he has no magic or the druid hain since he has nothing to do with nature or the stuff with the radiant heart but thats clear.
    You "could" possible lead a thiefs guild,which would be ok with the Evil alignment,but then again stealthy stealing stuff is not really a blackguards thing so what would he know about that. He is more fit as a Ruler over land.

So yes the fighter stronghold makes the most sense. unless you can name another existing stronghold that suits better?
    I think I heard that they might actually be adding a monk stronghold (presumably tied in some way to what would be Rasaad's default questline). It might be the case that Blackguard gets the same one (presumably a former Dark Moon monk complex).
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    shawne said:

I don't know why people think the Fighter stronghold makes the most sense for blackguards - literally every single quest in that particular area requires you to do "good" decisions in order to remain popular; pick too many evil options and you'll incite a revolt. How is any of that appropriate to an evil PC?

How is that not appropriate for an evil PC?
    edited November 2013
    Though they might not be adding a monk stronghold. I seem to remember that they had planned to but I have no idea if it made it in or not. :)

Or indeed what it actually is anyway. It could be a mountaintop filled with loyal and loving bunnies.
    @scriver - Easy.Cause when you play a Blackguard.Everybody should fear the dark powers your dark god/Archdemon has given to you ,to much to revolt. Its entirely different from being just a strong guy with a big weapon.
    Also it is totally inappropriate cause why should only get Evil NPCs all the fun? they never have to fear are revolution,just a bunch of hero that come up every now and then.And if thats all i would take it, Ruling a Castle and slaying groups of hero from time to time is better than getting kicked out by a Gamescript.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    If a Monk stronghold is being implemented, I really hope they didn't attach it to Rasaad's quest.

So far, no stronghold quest requires you to bring along a character that's got the same class as you. Not to mention that having two Monks is far from an optimal party composition.

With that said, I'm not sure that's going to happen. The game would have to account for 3 different Monk alignments (just like the Cleric) and provide either different quests or outcomes for each one. I'm under the impression that this is a bit beyond the scope of the new content.

Yeah, they've promised thousands of words of new dialogue, but we've got 4 new NPCs each with their own personal quests and romances.

I'm still confident that the devs have focused on content that's accessible via playing a big variety of characters rather than implementing ideas that while cool/interesting, are very restrictive in terms of how or when you get a chance to play it.

And that's also my argument as to why it wouldn't be worth having a special stronghold just for Blackguards.
    @Kilivitz
    There was an idea a while back for an Evil-in-general stronghold that I liked, in the same way the Dark Brotherhood in Elder Scrolls is the "evil guild." A secret lair where profane rituals and debauchery can be conducted in private would go a long way toward making the Baldur's Gate series more approachable to Evil CHARNAMES.
    @ Schneidend
    That would be wonderful. But i guess IF they would make such a thing it would appear in BG3 since they have to make a new game then anyway.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Corvino said:

Just a heads-up for Paladins from a stronghold point of view. You want to kill Firkraag. We all do. Just don't do it until the Order of the Radiant Heart ask you to, or you miss out on a couple of things.

As far as I know, there is nothing you can really miss by killing Firkraag ASAP.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    scriver said:

How is that not appropriate for an evil PC?

Because there's no benefit to the revolt, and if you fail, you lose the stronghold altogether.

Why not just give the blackguard a quest to wipe out the Radiant Heart and claim their stronghold? That's more in-character than trying to figure out which suitor should marry your maid...
    shawne said:

Because there's no benefit to the revolt, and if you fail, you lose the stronghold altogether.

Why not just give the blackguard a quest to wipe out the Radiant Heart and claim their stronghold? That's more in-character than trying to figure out which suitor should marry your maid...

Depends on what your Blackguard's alignment is and what they want to accomplish. For instance, my Blackguard is Lawful Evil and would be quite content to keep the people moderately happy and leech off of them through taxes. Spreading suffering is pointless if it isn't profitable or won't keep people in line.

I'd still much prefer a stronghold that a CHARNAME of any Evil alignment can take, though.
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106
    If it's an existing (as in in BG2 normal) I'd bet on the talos cleric line. More or less just because that's the only stronghold quest that caters to evil and you do the most blackguard like stuff. Talos isn't really the evil god I tend to mentally link to blackguards, but whatever.
    Talos is no doubt a favorite of Chaotic Evil Blackguards. That isn't a bad idea, HandofTyr!
    @ HandofTyr Now i have the urge to play an evil cleric just to see what the Talos questline is about. Also i would not assume that Talos would be the god you choose with a name like Hand-of-Tyr. :D

If the questline really is evil-friendly then it really is a good idea like Schneidend said.