Skip to content

Patch 1.2 is out

This has been a long haul, and it would be nice to hear what priorities the team has now that patch 1.2 is out. Especially if they will release the Ipad version of BG2EE before Android's BGEE.

It's fair for the team to have goals which doesnt fit my own personal expectations. But the way the android release was described over a year ago led me (and I believe many others) to believe the android would be prioritized just as highly as the Ipad version. I bought an android tablet in 2012 in anticipation of the release - now of course the tablet is useful for many other things than playing BGEE, but it should highlight how some feedback would be nice.

I wonder if they will look at android soon? My guess is that they will release BG2EE, fix any bugs that may arise connected with that release, and THEN we might get our BGEE for android.

Thoughts?

Comments

• I wonder if they will look at android soon? My guess is that they will release BG2EE, fix any bugs that may arise connected with that release, and THEN we might get our BGEE for android.

This is just a shot in the dark, obviously, but I think you're probably about right with the timeline. Seeing as how we have had no real news in quite some time on the Android version, I really don't anticipate BG:EE on Android to drop in the next two weeks. I'd love to be wrong, but we've seen nothing to suggest it's any kind of priority for Beamdog.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    Yeah I wouldn't expect it any time soon. Last update from Trent on twitter about Android is that they are working on adding support for the ASTC texture compression format so that the game can support the newer GPU's in some Android devices.

Some of the reason is the Atari delay, that took about 3 months out of dev time. The 1.2 patch contains the renderer rewrite that was needed for intel chipsets on PC and to allow the framework for supporting the variety of hardware on Android.

With BG2:EE due in 2 weeks, I would expect that the focus of the dev team would be on that at the moment.
  • Faydark said:

Some of the reason is the Atari delay, that took about 3 months out of dev time.

Let's not put all the blame on Atari, here. If Beamdog was ever serious about an Android release, we'd have had one by now.

To retread old ground here, BG:EE was released for PC at the end of November, 2012. The iPad version came about a week later, and Mac OSX came out around ten weeks after iPad. Taking out the time of the Atari (or whatever) related legal trouble, we are looking at roundabout 28 weeks (seven months!!!) of active development time since the Mac OSX version dropped. If Beamdog were at all serious about releasing on Android, I have to believe that that amount of time would be sufficient to accomplish that goal, unexpected glitches notwithstanding.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605

If Beamdog was ever serious about an Android release, we'd have had one by now.

Seeing as the 1.2 render rewrite is needed for the Android version to work, any time the devs have spent actively working on the patch is time they have spent actively working on Android. That being said, it would be nice to see how much more work is still needed to finish it.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    We're getting there. Still too soon to give an accurate prediction of time, but (without trying too hard to state the obvious) we're closer than we've ever been.

I know, I know, seems obvious, but the 1.2 patch was vital to the development of an Android version.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Thanks for the reply @Dee.
    I understand that fully it is hard to give a time-prediction considering this is the first time you are making an Android adaption of any game. What I am wondering about is how you will prioritize android versus other platforms following the release of BG2EE.

That concerted effort is being made makes the wait easier :)

Let's not put all the blame on Atari, here. If Beamdog was ever serious about an Android release, we'd have had one by now.

I believe Beamdog is serious about android - we will get is sometime. It just think they are prioritizing other platforms higher. I dont agree with this, but I can understand it.
  • ChetChet Member Posts: 64
    Let's blame Hofstadter and his law: It always takes longer than you think it will take, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
  • AshramAshram Member Posts: 4
    Dee said:

We're getting there. Still too soon to give an accurate prediction of time, but (without trying too hard to state the obvious) we're closer than we've ever been.

I know, I know, seems obvious, but the 1.2 patch was vital to the development of an Android version.

Thanks for that. I really hope that Android becomes a priority. Understand timelines can be difficult from a PR standpoint even if you have a good idea...but I think it is worthwhile effort. Opening the scope to include Android platforms will pay for itself and can bring such goodness to the BG2 release as well. It may be a development challenge, but once that hurdle is overcome, profit for the devs and enjoyment for the fans are sure to follow.
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
    Dee said:

If (as I suspect) the Android release will post-date the BG2:EE release for the other platforms, do you expect that BG1 and 2 will be released on Android at the same time?
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    At this rate you're going to have to give it away to make anyone actually want it or remember about it.
    diggerb said:

Dee said:

If (as I suspect) the Android release will post-date the BG2:EE release for the other platforms, do you expect that BG1 and 2 will be released on Android at the same time?
    I can't comment on specific plans, but once we finalize the method for porting the first game, porting the second will go a lot faster.
  • SchnitzelSchnitzel Member Posts: 17
    That`s mean you have no specific plans on android?
    It means I can't comment on them. :)
  • etotheoetotheo Member Posts: 61
    Dee said:

That's so boring Dee... Where's the intrigue???
  • CobbwebCobbweb Member Posts: 26
    It sounds like you are not going to have BGEE ready for android by Monday when I go on vacation to Cuba. What will occupy my time when I am there?
    JK, I dont mind, but Raul might, so think about that!
    etotheo said:

Dee said:

That's so boring Dee... Where's the intrigue???
    Quite right.

When the stars are aligned, and Orion's head is in his hand, then look to the great oak tree, and... Wait, did you say intrigue or mystical prophecy? I get the two confused sometimes.

In all seriousness, for the moment (as in, this week in particular) most of our focus is on the BGII:EE release; it's all hands on deck, so to speak, getting the game ready. Even @LiamEsler is working on it, and we all know what a lazy bum he is...

That's not to say we've forgotten about Android, or that we've stopped working on it, or that we're spending all our time perfecting our kill counts in Halo; it just means we won't be talking much about Android this week in any kind of official capacity.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    I finished up slightly early today, and took a nap. I dreamt about fixing bugs and assigning icons to items. And then when I woke up, was super sad that the fixes I made in my sleep wouldn't make it into the build.

So lazy I'm trying to make up for it in my sleep! :D
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Dee this reminds me of that song waaaaay back, "Lazy" by David Byrne.
    Dee said:

That's not to say we've forgotten about Android, or that we've stopped working on it, or that we're spending all our time perfecting our kill counts in Halo; it just means we won't be talking much about Android this week in any kind of official capacity.

You playing Halo w/the devs?? Who's winning?? I once won 25 kills and 3 deaths, against two friends that played together, if you want I can go there and teach everybody how to become a lvl40 Sorcerer by using the sniper :P

We are going to lead #BGII:EE on PC on Beamdog. Mac on Beamdog is next. iPad BGII:EE is #3 . Android BG:EE is #4. Android BGII:EE is #5

— Trent Oster (@TrentOster) November 12, 2013

Okay seems my suspicions were correct. At least good to know what to expect. But I must say that this information could have been given us at a far earlier point of time, or is there a reason this was not given to us earlier? That's my main criticism, not that Android is prioritized last (which is easier to understand, even if it isn't the bravest of moves).
  • pandacakepandacake Member Posts: 39
    its nice to know what the plan of action is and i can fully understand the getting BGII:EE out on pc/mac first but surely android BG:EE can be prioritized over Ipad BgII:EE unless ipad is literally a flip of a switch away from being finished in which case again i can understand but seriously the wait is getting more then a tad annoying this better be worth the wait =p
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    The current plan is to have all versions out by Christmas:

• SchnitzelSchnitzel Member Posts: 17
    I`m kinda hate them now.
  • FrebuFrebu Member Posts: 14
    pandacake said:

its nice to know what the plan of action is and i can fully understand the getting BGII:EE out on pc/mac first but surely android BG:EE can be prioritized over Ipad BgII:EE unless ipad is literally a flip of a switch away from being finished in which case again i can understand but seriously the wait is getting more then a tad annoying this better be worth the wait =p

Didnt you know? Beamdogs basic market strategy is "release crap other people did for free, then delay delay delay on any real work"

@Frebu I understand any thinning patience, but I dont want this thread to become littered with unjustified insults.
  • JamesAZJamesAZ Member Posts: 2

@Tiberiousr We'll get Android done before Christmas. The list of supported devices might be very NVidia skewed though.

— Trent Oster (@TrentOster) November 27, 2012
  • TeethOnTheEyeTeethOnTheEye Member Posts: 6
    i gave up android bg, when bg:ee went on 5$ on steam sale maybe after other games i have in mind...
    maybe bg:ee for mac and ipad profit enough for bg3 to come out.
  • pandacakepandacake Member Posts: 39
    if i wait this long and it doesn't even support my Samsung tab 2 i may cry
  • rkp71rkp71 Member Posts: 16
    pandacake said:

I hear ya... Signed up here drooling for bg, after many delay notices I got my 1 year badge on site. BG2 has arrived for other devices and now I hear upgrading from my old nexus7 to my new nexus7 is going to make the wait longer. *sigh*
  • LcacdriverLcacdriver Member Posts: 41
    rkp71 said:

pandacake said:

I hear ya... Signed up here drooling for bg, after many delay notices I got my 1 year badge on site. BG2 has arrived for other devices and now I hear upgrading from my old nexus7 to my new nexus7 is going to make the wait longer. *sigh*
    Why do you say that? That twitter post is a year old...lots of changes since then...just a release on any android platform would be monumental at this point.

• rkp71rkp71 Member Posts: 16
    Ah, good. Agree, any release for android would be good