Skip to content

How different is *Too different* from 2nd ed rules?

ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
I think that the overall design strategy has been to keep close to AD&D 2nd edition rules as much as possible. But I think most of us can agree that a lot of the better additions to BG2 in particular were not part of any pen and paper copy of the rules that I know of.
One of the main criticisms of BG is that fighters are boring to play as, and there is no character customisation. But I think the addition of a feat-style system at lower levels (rather than just HLAs) has been rejected.

I'd be interested to hear people's opinions about whether a reworking should stay as faithful as possible, or whether they should sacrifice a bit more for the sake of making the game more fun to play.
We already know that this has been done to a certain extent. I'd also be interested from hearing something from the developers about how they approach this issue.

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited July 2012
    I don't care about P&P rules. Hell I don't even play it. I'm not interested in playing Baldur's Gate to get an authentic copyrighted experience, I'm playing it for an adventure.

After 40 years of D&D it's just a copyrighted gimic like anything else. Why be faithful to something that is always changing anywho?
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117
    edited July 2012
    There is the character customization in form of choosing weapon proficiencies, training certain class skills or learning certain spells. Back then it seems the devs didn't plan to introduce non-weapon proficiencies (craft skills, lore skills, healing skills, etc.) for additional customization. What is available depends on your class selection (e.g. single class, dual class, multi-class).

In 3rd edition and 3.5 there was a generally more flexible approach to customizability, which can be quite overwhelming.

Despite the "lack" of character customization there is still the tactical and strategical component of combat. E.g. a fighter or two can block a narrow passage (for this no additional combat feats are required) and this changes the dynamics of a battle.

Besides that 2nd edition offers more game options. Take "Meta magic" for example (e.g. cast boost spell, follow up cast of the actual spell). This allows several spell casters to work together for more powerful spell effects. Or take "circle magic". Two or more clerics pooling their spell power together to cast a spell with a higher caster level (-> increased spell effect). I'd favour things like this over more customizable builds.

But I am pessimistic. Changing the implemented game rules requires lots of work. Maybe it's not even possible due to past design decisions.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I'd like to see a feat like/nonweapon proficiency like system though with more "automatic" abilities so as not to overwhelm the guy that likes vanilla. For example rather than a selectable ability that adds a high damage resistance for x rounds a lower but constant bonus.

One might even expand the weapon proficiency selection screen to accommodate (and give bonus proficiencies for high int!).

Some examples:

A nice suggestion that I saw somewhere was additional slots (and corresponding bonuses) for fighting styles.

I could see an "extend rage" for barbarians (max 5 ranks, plus one round to rage per rank)

fletcher: gain ability to craft (non sellable) arrows rank x per day. 2 ranks (warriors only) creates "master craft" arrows that gain + 1 non magical bonus to hit. better than that is only possible for fighters and rangers (or maybe only archers) granting additional non magical bonuses terminating in (say) a hunters arrow that causes bleeding (and chance for spell failure) for a round or two)

Armor proficiencies: ranks in armor just like one gets ranks in weapons that gives bonuses when wearing certain armors. Also a dodge like prof for the armorless (say 1 rank + 1 to ac when wearing no armor, 2 + 2 vs. missiles and so on)

Concentration: reduces the chance for spell failure when hit (though probably not by much maybe 95% -5 per rank so 5 ranks only get you down to 75%. On the other hand ranks in a weapon should increase the chance of this misscast effect by 5% so single class fighters are as disruptive as ever.

toughness: + 3 hp per rank. Only warriors can get the max 5 ranks and max 1 at first level.