Skip to content

Recharging items

CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
edited November 2013 in Feature Requests
Is there any reason why items like wands, rings, staff of striking, capes etc has to selfdestruct upon reaching zero charges? It is a bit funny to always sell back items with one charge left, in order to recharge/not loose the item. IIwould like these items to be able to reach zero without selfdestroying, and then maybe put a "Recharge" button in a few selected stores? Anyone else think this makes more sense?
Post edited by Cactus on

Comments

• TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    I agree. It would be nice if they could add a 'recharge' button to shopkeeper UI (maybe not *all* shopkeepers, rather, just the ones running magic-themed shops). If that's impossible or too complex, then just having the item remain at 0 charges would be good too. There's no reason to have stuff self-destruct, as it's annoying and just prompts a reload if it happens.
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    I think maybe it could be only Thalantyr and Halbazzer Drin. Both powerfull mage-merchants: It makes more sense, that they can recharge items than any ordinary merchants by selling and bying...
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I'm pretty sure they fizzle out of existence for game balance purposes. I finished my last game with 31 wands, and that was with putting some effort into making sure I used them! Since there are so many of them in the game that may be found as treasure, why recharge them? Although I can see why you'd want to recharge unique, singly-occurring items in the game, like the Greenstone Amulet or the Staff of Striking. But wouldn't the game become too easy if all you had to do was drop by the local shop and have your item instantly recharged?

If anything, charged items force you to consider whether using the item in a given situation is warranted. I find it an important element of the game.
  • RadwulfRadwulf Member Posts: 49
    The lack of the ability to recharge wands (for example) is a bit odd, but you do get enough of them that recharging them isn't an urgent priority. What could be done is to restrict the number of people capable of recharging wands whilst making doing so quite expensive; say requiring a lot of gold and the relevant spell scroll.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,180
    I think they are not supposed to recharge at all, and recharging upon selling is just an exploit.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    Pecca said:

I think they are not supposed to recharge at all, and recharging upon selling is just an exploit.

Quiet, you!

We don't want to give the devs any ideas.

They already patched the BG1 item importing bug, which made me a sad panda.

Do you honestly want them 'patching' this aspect of the game as well? :P

• PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,180

Pecca said:

Quiet, you!

We don't want to give the devs any ideas.

They already patched the BG1 item importing bug, which made me a sad panda.

Do you honestly want them 'patching' this aspect of the game as well? :P

Just sayin' :P
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    Pecca said:

(...) recharging upon selling is just an exploit.

It may be an exploit, but an exploit used and liked by many. Remove the exploit and make a recharge option instead. I agree that those very powerfull items should not be useable unlimited. A price like 50.000 gold for fully recharging an item would prevent that. This is a much higher price than it curently cost to "sell-buy back" the rechargeable item, so it would actually make the items less likely to be used as often
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I wish there is a spell that recharge items. Analogous to the spell Identify (has no purpose in battle), there is a spell that is called Recharge. So, instead of recharging at a store, you can recharge the item x number of charges based on your Int stat and/or exp levels.