Skip to content

Game freezes after last update.

updated the game, and i can launch it but as soon as i loaded a save file or created a new game and start to play, the game lags and freezes. the game has been working flawless until now. im on a mac mini 2008-2009( i think) . OSX 10.6.9

Any suggestions, can uninstall latest update or did i just waste 20$ when i bought this game?

Comments

• elfup35elfup35 Member Posts: 5
    As it does mine. Mac Mini 2GHz Core 2 Duo. I'm guessing it's a graphics card issue (Intel GMA 950), but it worked perfectly before the patch. I've sent a e-mail to support and hopefully they'll address this.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    @Arthursilverblade (he can't speak english, but I don't know anything about Mac) has the same problem.

As you can see below he has the same graphic card:

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2007) Serial Number: xxx
    ----------
    Model: MacBook2,1
    Processor: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Numero di processori: 1
    Numero totale di nuclei: 2
    Cache L2: 4 MB
    [Memory: 1 GB] update
    Graphics: Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
    Velocità bus: 667 MHz
    Versione Boot ROM: MB21.00A5.B07
    Version SMC (sistema): 1.17f0
    Numero di serie (sistema): xxx

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    We're looking at this again, but we have had success running BGEE on GMA 950 Macs using Lion and later. You may wish to consider upgrading, especially now that Mavericks is free!
    Cerevant, I agree with you that would be a superb option for those with computers that meet the criteria for the free Mavericks upgrade; unfortunately, my computer does not. Even though it is capable of running 10.6.8, there are certain manufacturing dates older macs (for mac minis, it's 2009) need to be manufactured after to be able to run Mavericks.
  • ArthursilverbladeArthursilverblade Member Posts: 112
    Hi, first sorry for my english :)
    So that explain @Pibaro i have the same problem...

@Hartvik and @elfup do you find the way for solve this matter? If yes please tell me how to do! :)
    (actually i can't play the game)

@Cerevant do we have to wait a future fix for this bug?

thx
    edited November 2013
    The best short term advice I can give is to upgrade to Mountain Lion - that should be compatible on any Core 2 Duo Macs, and we haven't seen any problems in testing under Lion / Mountain Lion / Mavericks. (We've only seen issues on a Late 2006 Mini/10.6.8, but that is about as old an Intel Mac as they make and it has other issues)

Like I said, we're looking at the problem. If everyone having a problem could post their OS & Hardware combo:
    Apple menu, "About This Mac", post the OS X software version on that screen
    Click on "More Info", "System Report" and copy & paste everything in the Hardware Overview EXCEPT YOUR SERIAL NUMBER AND UUID.

Thanks!
    No solution as of yet, @athursilverblade. I'm also corresponding with Dee from beamdog support; the company has been attentive to this concern but has yet to resolve the issue. Will keep you posted if there's anything that isn't posted by Dee or Cerevant.
    any news?
    We can't reproduce the problem on a matching Mac with OSX 10.6.8, so we are suspecting an extension conflict. Can anyone who is seeing this problem try the following, and report their results here:

* Shut your Mac down.
    * Press the power button.
    * Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
    * Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Then try running the game. If that works, you have some plug-in or extension that is interfering with BG:EE.
    edited November 2013
    No, don't work. Always the same :(
  • mcbobmcbob Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem!

Macbook 2007 (white)
    2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    OS X 10.7.5
  • jthansonjthanson Member Posts: 4
    I'm having similar issues. After the last update, the game play is extremely slow. It would probably freeze but it's so slow I can't stand the play so I quit. Tried booting in safe mode which didn't help. The specs on my Mac are below:

MacBook 13-inch Mid 2007
    2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Intel GMA 950 64 MB
    Max OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

Thanks for the help.
  • TadpolefaceTadpoleface Member Posts: 6
    Just updated and seeing serious lag running 10.6.8 because thats the best I can. Tried all the above advice.

I bought through the app store is there any way I can 'downgrade' to the previous release, that was running fine this morning.

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
    SMC Version (system): 1.17f0
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    I've got the same lag issue. Navigating through the menus is fairly fast (except for the spell memorisation animation which lags) and sound effect or music play normally. But anything that requires an animation like a spell effect or simply moving your character is incredibly slow.

Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Memory: 1 GB
    SMC Version (system): 1.17f0
  • foranforan Member Posts: 14
    I was running BG:EE fine until the recent patch. Here are my specs:

OS 10.6.8
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
    Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.48f2

Now the game won't launch. There was a message that I needed to download "Rose-something", which I did, but there was no obvious product (no disc image) and BG:EE does not launch.
    I tried the safe boot mode. BG:EE does launch. It runs very slowly and there appears to be no audio, however.
    Having restarted again in normal mode, I was able to get the game to launch and run normally. I don't know what was wrong, but hopefully this will be it until BG2.
    @Hartvik @elfup35 @mcbob @jthanson @Tadpoleface @Mordeus do you have osx lion or mountain lion?
    i have lion but i think that mountain don't work in my mac(spec on the top)
    @arthursilverblade I have OS 10.6.8, which is Snow Leopard.
    @arthursilverblade I have 10.7.5 (Lion).

Got an email from Dee at Beambog. Seems there is a problem with the GMA 950 card and they are still looking into it.

Glad to hear they are working on it. Hope they find a solution because it went from extremely fun to completely unplayable with an update.
  • TadpolefaceTadpoleface Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2013
    @arthursilverblade OS 10.6.8 which is Snow Leopard I've not upgraded since I posted last ;)
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    @Cerevant and @Dee - I just wanted to say that one of my machines is a Macbook2,1 with Intel GMA 950 and the latest Lion (last OS X supported by that machine), so consider me available to beta-test any patch for this issue.
    @alnair Are you seeing the issues reported by others here?
    @Cerevant That machine has just a (copied, not installed) 1.0.2014 installation, so I haven't tried yet.
    I could install either the current live version or the current beta (are they any different?) and get back to you.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    They're currently the same, so either one would be valuable.
    Alright, it's downloading. About an hour to go...
    edited November 2013
    I confirm the same issues other people reported. I'm gonna try the Shift-booting trick now... EDIT: if anything, thing got worse in SAFE_BOOT mode.

Specs:

Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    Memory: 3 GB
    SMC Version (system): 1.13f3
    Post edited by alnair on
  • RoacRoac Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2013
    I'm confused, is this for BG EE or BG2 EE or both?

Because I just got BG2 EE as a gift (having run BG EE previously, seamlessly on my old macbook) and after creating a new character the game slows down to a crawl. The opening where Jon Irenicus approaches the main character takes about 5 minutes.

EDIT: Just tried BG EE as well, after the update, and it's crawling as well.

I'm running 10.6.8 and:
    Model Identifier: MacBook 1,1
    Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
    L2 Cache: 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.4f12
    Graphics: Intel GMA 950
    Post edited by Roac on
    @Roac My initial post was for BG EE. I don't have BG2 EE, but based on your experience it sounds like I should hold off.
  • OlleelloOlleello Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2013
    Hi,

I've experienced the same problems as listed above, with BG:EE slowing to a crawl after the latest update and after having purchased BGII:EE I've experienced the same thing from the start. Before the last update BG:EE was running very smoothly.

As per instructions above, I booted in safe mode, which slowed the game down further and after a second reboot back into regular mode the game did not improve.

My specs are as follows
    Mac OS X 10.6.8
    Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    L2 Cache: 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03