Skip to content

Help - I don't know what to be!

BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
So....

I'm sitting here, patch downloaded, ready to run through BGEE in preperation to continue with the same character in BG2EE, and I don't know what to be!

I started by thinking about a fighter dualling into a mage. So what level when I dual? 7? 9? 13? So many decisions. But then I got sidetracked into thinking about a Mage/Cleric combination. Should I dual? Or what about multi class.

Now I am just confused, and might have to delay my start until I am absolutely sure who/what I want to be! Is anyone else sharing my predicament?

Comments

• ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    multiclass Gnome Cleric/Illusionist if you go that route. :P Maybe just stick with a powerful single class like Cavalier or Sorcerer to keep it simple. :P
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    A halfling swashbuckler named Tony Pricklybottom.

You'll woo ALL the ladies.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Though powerful in bg1, I don't like multi/dual class. If you know the spells, sorcerer is the best. (My opinion. Be warned, other people will have wrong opinions. Don't listen to them. Sorcerers are the best.)
    If you don't know the spells, they are muuuuch more fun, and a lot less powergamey. Instead of multi/dual, I would look into kits. Lots of exiting things for bards there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    You really aren't helping meagloth! Just giving me more things to think about and mull and ponder! At this rate I won't even start rolling my character for days!
    thespace.... the thing is I don't want to stop/start too much. Although I've played BGEE a few times over the last year, I havn't revisited BG2 in any form for a very very long time, and want my first play-through to be unadulterated pleasure! Without playing for a bit and then starting to think... I wonder if I should have been....

That's why I want to get the decision right now! :)
    Now I'm thinking about the Sorceror option.

I really don't think I am going to get rolling for a long time yet!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 105
    This is a common problem for me as well. I have gotten to Nashkel and rerolled more times than I care to count.

The only run I was able to finish is a Dragon Disciple. It helped that I really thought about how my DD would act and what the motivations were before I started.

This helped me stick with it even when that reroll itch flared up.

I recommend picking a class that seems cool to you. Something like a stalker, a cavalier, or a skald. Which do you most relate to? Don't worry too much about power because you can make anything work.
    I know what I definitly don't want to be..... anything thief related. It just doesn't interest me at all.

But that still leaves so much. Except I am starting to think that some spell casting has to be in the mix somewhere. So maybe there is hope, maybe I am starting to get somewhere!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Play Black Pits first. Use 6 classes/kits that are on your "maybe" list. The fast levelling in Black Pits and the diverse types of enemies make it easy to compare the progession and see which of your "maybe" options is the most fun. No worries about weapon profs or items; it's all right there, too.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Simple:

Play *no-reload*

Make one concept character:
    - elven archer
    - gnomish mad cleric
    - human paladin
    etc. etc.

Roleplay each and see how far you go...
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I agree with @KidCarnival: the Black Pits can be used precisely for this purpose. Put together a diverse team, and see which class/style of play suits you best.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    shawne said:

I agree with @KidCarnival: the Black Pits can be used precisely for this purpose. Put together a diverse team, and see which class/style of play suits you best.

It also works great to compare similar builds, like dual vs multi or finding the best fit for a particular idea (even with classes that are technically useless in BP, - comparing backstab damage on different thieves with different weapons/strength stats comes to mind).
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Go wizard slayer! You might regret it!
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Half-elven cleric/mage, for all the spells you can possibly know (you'll miss a few druid spells). Gnomes might get more per day with a cleric/illusionist, but I'm fond of a few necromancy spells here and there. You run as a utility caster through the early game (although liberal use of Command will simply own some of your enemies) and then later you become a force of destruction. If you like casting spells and you enjoy stretching your resources (like me), then it's something you might enjoy a great deal. In BG2 you'll have access to both sets of HLAs.
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 134
    Overall, personally I'd think/figure who I plan to be having in my group for BG1 and then for BG2, then compare who I have and what is missing to have a playable enjoyable group that won't kill each other.

Blah, what am I saying, I just went sorcerer since start and when Dragon disciple came took him :D
    Thank you for all your suggestions. I am 98% sure that I am going to be Sorceror. Wait... make that 95%. Possibly 90% even!

Anyway, I have got so far as to find a suitable pic for my arcane casting character, and if I can resist anymore distracting thoughts, I might even get to the rolling up stage by this afternoon!
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    Good luck :)
    After reading this and a thread about sorcerer spells i'm not so sure I want to run a bard as my next play through :|
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    What to be and what not to be! That is the question (or at least it is a question).

Anyway, while I normally favour multiclassed F/T builds over anything else, I recently had a gnome cleric/illusionist in my party in a Black Pits run. I loved that character. So versatile and it forced me to be really creative. And lastly, while there is great pleasure in backstabbing your opponents to bits, outsmarting your enemies through clever use of spells is very very satisfying.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    BGLover said:

Thank you for all your suggestions. I am 98% sure that I am going to be Sorceror. Wait... make that 95%. Possibly 90% even!

Anyway, I have got so far as to find a suitable pic for my arcane casting character, and if I can resist anymore distracting thoughts, I might even get to the rolling up stage by this afternoon!

Brilliant. Sorcerers are the best. Good to see some of these people have a little sense. image
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    How about an Undead Hunter? It's seems like I'm the only one on this forum that likes the Undead Hunter.

How about an Undead Hunter? It's seems like I'm the only one on this forum that likes the Undead Hunter.

I'd be down for that, if it weren't for the existence of cavalier and inquisitor.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470

I'd be down for that, if it weren't for the existence of cavalier and inquisitor.
    Once again the Undead Hunter gets out shined by his older siblings. A sad fate really.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Its a good class for beginners of BG2 as level drain is annoying. It was the first class I beat ToB with.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I remember playing an Undead Hunter the second time I played through BG2 as the first time had given me a phobia of Vampires. In the end there are a dozen ways to beat them once you know you're going to fight them, and the level drain immunity isn't essential. Cavalier and Inquisitor are more generally useful.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    @Dee wins the thread, and the internet.
    @Dee

You have earned my profound respect, because your humor is like my own. I am impressed by your work here, well done.