Skip to content

Adjusting encounter level in BGEE and BG2EE

As you know, depending on the partys level, different zones have different mobs.
For example:
Ettin in Irenicus' dungeon
Lich in shadow ruins
Bone Golem in Murders in bridge district.
etc.

Is there anyway to make all encounters for max level even if you dont have the correct level?

Comments

• ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Sword Coast Stratagems 2 has such a component.

"Increase difficulty of level-dependent monster groupings

At various points in the unmodded game, BG2 chooses the strength of the monsters you face based on your level. Typically there are four encounters, and which one you get depends on your experience level.

This component causes the game to give you somewhat tougher choices; there are four options available. "Mildly increased difficulty" causes you to get a fight one step too high-level for you; "significantly increased difficulty" gives you a fight two steps too high, and "almost-maximum difficulty" gives you the hardest possible fight whatever your level (with one exception: see below). Other ability-dependent components are modified in a similar way to try to achieve the same effects.

The only exception to the general rule is the "spawn-undead" script, whose highest-level setting causes liches to spawn. SCS II liches are so much more powerful than vanilla ones that it is nearly suicidal to take them on at lower levels (at least without cheesy tactics), so even on the "almost-maximum difficulty" setting they don't spawn unless you have at least 1 million XP. If you really, really want a massively-hard-to-injure undead archmage dumping Pit Fiends and Horrid Wiltings on you at 8th level, install the fourth option, "maximum difficulty".

This component is rather like the "always tougher spawns" component of Tactics, but it's rather more customisable (and, since modding tools are much improved since Tactics was written, it installs in a way that's less likely to mess up other mods). "
  • Cowled_wizardCowled_wizard Member Posts: 119
    But, is there any way to tell BG2 or BG2EE to set all encounters as if you had a party of lvl 18 pcs? No modding liches etc, just standard battles
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    No, there is not.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2013
    Lich in shadow ruins
    Bone Golem in Murders in bridge district.

I really don't remember any of these hehe. I guess I normally just do them before chapter 4 and not later.

But, is there any way to tell BG2 or BG2EE to set all encounters as if you had a party of lvl 18 pcs? No modding liches etc, just standard battles

@Cowled_wizard Just try and install this component and no others, see if it works.

• Cowled_wizardCowled_wizard Member Posts: 119
    which component?
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    I remember the bone golem, but not the lich or the Ettin.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I really hated the dragon ambush in the wild in Tactics! The dragon breath usually fried my party half dead.

In Vanilla, here are locations of most important spawns.

Lich spawns at temple ruins (twice), zombie enclave at beholder city and spellhold. Adamantine Golems at Planear Sphere and Windspear Hills. Spirit/Invisible Trolls at Druid Grove (inside the troll enclave) and de Arnise Hold. More and nastier demons at 3rd level WS maze, 2 fire giants at 5th level of WS maze at the Warrior Skull area.

Most likely, I may have missed some of the tougher monster spawns.

There is a bug with monster spawning. If the party moves with increased speed (Haste), very frequently the party misses the trigger point on the map. Use this knowledge to your full advantage or frustration because you cant trigger the lich battle.

which component?

@Cowled_wizard

The component I mentioned in my first reply. In most weidu mods you get the option of installing components separately.