Skip to content

Playstation 4 will require a sub for online play.

Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
edited November 2013 in Off-Topic
I am kind of sad about this consoles are nice for when you have friends over, but It looks like I will just be sticking to pc gaming. It's ok though I only bought the ps3 because demons souls was an exclusive at the time. The title is now on every platform so I will just pick up a new pc controller and a few other shiny sparklies instead of a 400$ system.

Edit: I will note that there is an exception for ftp mmo's

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I was just about to post that bit about free-to-play games. I'm really excited that Capcom's amazing-looking Deep Down is going to be ftp, and thus no sub will be required. You should check out Deep Down. It's looking very Souls-like, but bringing its own quirks like a very no-pause-friendly GUI.

I may or may not get a PS4, it depends very strongly on whether Dark Souls II or Destiny will have cross-platform multiplayer.

• Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    The name deep down sounds sexy I could only find a vid and a small amount of info on it though. Speaking of dark souls I forgot to see if I could still sign up for the beta last night. The wiki says it will come out on windows as well.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    The funny part of the sub is: You'll still have to use your own console and your own internet connection for hosting. No dedicated servers. This would basically make that subscription a scam.

The funny part of the sub is: You'll still have to use your own console and your own internet connection for hosting. No dedicated servers. This would basically make that subscription a scam.

The Playstation Plus subscription gives you a lot of other benefits like early beta access to some games, games that are free as long as you're subscribed, and discounts on games only subscribers can get. It's hardly a scam.
    edited November 2013
    It depends, if your a pc gamer you have pretty much everything at your finger tips Free games, better control options, and all the benefits of a desktop computer. I mean mmo's have not even really hit console so there are gamers that have never gotten to enjoy a one. That have payed for games worse than some of our ftp games we have on the internets.

Really console gaming is a scam as a whole the fact is if you have the slightest bit of computer knowledge with the help from the internets you can put a rig together for prolly 500-600$, hook it to your tv, and have more access to everything gaming related. Sadly there is a mith that computers are hard.

Personally I play better with a rager... Thank you Dolly.. She's the Count Chocula of my heart.. I know what you guys are thinking... but I obviously couldn't find a picture of her in a wheelchair, but no worries I'll keep the dream alive for all of us ; ). ... .. .... That being said if you need something for your kids to play consoles are prolly a good idea.
    Post edited by Chaotic_Good on

It depends, if your a pc gamer you have pretty much everything at your finger tips Free games, better control options, and all the benefits of a desktop computer. I mean mmo's have not even really hit console so there are gamers that have never gotten to enjoy a one. That have payed for games worse than some of our ftp games we have on the internets.

Really console gaming is a scam as a whole the fact is if you have the slightest bit of computer knowledge with the help from the internets you can put a rig together for prolly 500-600$, hook it to your tv, and have more access to everything gaming related. Sadly there is a mith that computers are hard.

Personally I play better with a rager... Thank you Dolly.. She's the Count Chocula of my heart.. I know what you guys are thinking... but I obviously couldn't find a picture of her in a wheelchair, but no worries I'll keep the dream alive for all of us ; ). ... .. .... That being said if you need something for your kids to play consoles are prolly a good idea.

First of all, no, you can't get a gaming rig together for $500, not something that can play Battlefield 4 or GTAV on high settings. You're looking more to the tune of twice that, if not more.

Second, consoles have had MMOs. Everquest: Online Adventurers, Final Fantasy XI, DC Universe Online, and Final Fantasy XIV.

Third, yeah, I'd wreck Dolly, too. Don't think that makes you crazy or special.
    edited November 2013
    Lol I know there have been a few mmo's but it doesn't really compare on the mmo front. I could name 30+ mmo's but there is really no point in wasting any ones time that is reading this.

I priced for a buddy of mine a year or so ago and you can get a i5 barbones kit for like 400$ Amd ones are half that, you can get a this gen grafix card for 200$ if your using your tv for a moniter it cost 20 bucks for a hdmi cable if you don't have one.

I don't know about battle field gta doesn't seem like it would be a problem for most cards. I use gtx 470s and have never had a problem playing anything and they are a few years old. You can get a 660 for 200 bones at best buy and thats prolly not the best place to buy lol.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well... To be fair, consoles very rarely see anything with a worthwhile multiplayer... So you they can have a subscription for the online play all they want, there won't be a reason to get it without multiplayer games.

Also, consoles for MMOs... Well FF XI played better with a gamepad than keyboard and mouse... So I suppose you could argue for playing that on a console, but just about any other MMO out there keyboard and mouse will work better.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    edited November 2013
    Hmm, I've seen what the offers are for such a subscription, and it seems you actually get quite a good deal for your money. At least better than Xbox Live. I still am quite against online subscription stuff, though. Probably because I usually don't have that much money to waste.
    Post edited by Kitteh_On_A_Cloud on
    edited November 2013

It's hardly a scam.

@Schneidend
    Then why is it a requirement to play online?
    Sub to Play + Host yourself = Scam.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Both systems have their questionable practices; XBOX has a required subscription to take advantage of your other subscriptions, PS+ is required to play online games. It's really six/half-dozen, and I'd say it mostly depends on which features you're more interested in utilizing.

If you play a lot of online games, and you don't like the features offered in PS+, then maybe the PS4 isn't for you. On the other hand, if you never play online games but like to watch movies on Netflix and Hulu, then the XB1 isn't ideal.

The two services also have different things going for them in terms of additional features. You just have to weigh the merits of each. For myself, I never play online, and Netflix is something my wife and I use on a daily basis, making the PS4 a much more attractive choice, even discounting the fact that the PS4 is a hundred dollars cheaper. If I played a lot of online games, it would probably be the other way around.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    edited November 2013
    I was a big supporter of ps3 and enjoyed my time spent on the system. I now use it for Netflix and blurays and stick to PC games when I have time to play games. I don't see myself getting a ps4 or xbone anytime soon, but would probably lean back to PlayStation if I did. I would probably only use it for metal gear solid 5 and kingdom hearts 3. Then eventually ff15 I imagine.

@Schneidend
    Then why is it a requirement to play online?
    Sub to Play + Host yourself = Scam.

Because it carries with it other benefits? If you pay $50/year or whatever, but can download dozens of $60 games by doing so, I fail to see how it is a scam unless you have a preposterously loose definition of the word.
    I have 360 and ps3 currently and was going to buy the ps4 just because everything playstation puts out is higher quality; until I found out about the sub cost. It's just something about having to pay extra to play a feature of the game I just bought It is kind of like dlc content at release; I don't have a problem with dlc items for pre-order because they are not really game changing. As a wow player I paid a sub for 7ish years though I had allot of fun it's something that eats away at me when I think about it.

I really don't get it from a market standpoint either I mean they had the win hands down until the announcement.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    just to let you know sony didnt want to charge you but after they got hacked and taken down for a month or so (not sure on length ps3 owner please correct me if im wrong) they had no choice but to pay someone to keep it secure, that dude needs paying and so they had to introduce a charge to multiplayer, but as a way of "apologizing" they will allow PS+ payers to stream all PS1, PS2 and PS3 games so you can play them, so if you ever wanted to play that crazy expensive PS1 game that costs a million pounds, now you can! im not sure about foreign games AKA: im note sure if us british people could play a japan only game or not we will have to see.

so yeah in short: in response to you paying sony a subscription they made the ps4 backwards compatible with EVERYTHING :D!

(this may have changed but i've heard no news it hast changed but i cannot find the original article i read this from so take that for what you will)
    edited November 2013

If you pay $50/year or whatever, but can download dozens of $60 games by doing so

@Schneidend and if I am only interested into the online play functionality and not in "renting" games? Why should I pay for online play I have to host by myself anyway?
    @AenderonBluescale
    I guess you shouldn't if you don't want to?
    As mentioned earlier, though, f2p games don't require a PS+ sub for their online components. That means Deep Down, at least, is good to go for dungeon-delving shenanigans.
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    When i heard that you have to pay online fee for a game you host, i suddenly remembered what Viconia said: ''Surface-dwellers can be so stupid.''

If you pay $50/year or whatever, but can download dozens of $60 games by doing so

@Schneidend and if I am only interested into the online play functionality and not in "renting" games? Why should I pay for online play I have to host by myself anyway?
    Hmm, you got a point here, Aendaeron...
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

First of all, no, you can't get a gaming rig together for $500, not something that can play Battlefield 4 or GTAV on high settings. You're looking more to the tune of twice that, if not more.

Second, consoles have had MMOs. Everquest: Online Adventurers, Final Fantasy XI, DC Universe Online, and Final Fantasy XIV.

Third, yeah, I'd wreck Dolly, too. Don't think that makes you crazy or special.
    my pc actually cost me about $600 for the pc itself, and $1000 because I needed to get my own monitor, etc. it has played all games on max except metro last light so I would say 500-600 is pretty accurate and I am not really into graphics anyway. I put more into my processor so I can go crazy with lots happening in game without a slowdown :)
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050

Actually, you could probably in terms of specs beat or at the very least match the PS4 with it's 400 USD price point (or if you go with the 400 € price point of europe, you'll out do it quite nicely)... But that wouldn't include a monitor or an OS... Stuff you don't need to get on the consoles most likely, atleast the monitor since most people just use their TV, which you could techically use with your PC too...

And since the Xbox One costs a 100 extra, that'll give you even more room to play around with if you want to build a PC with that price...
    edited November 2013
    I wouldn't trust any companies to give you a fair deal because some of the newer games have high specs and most sellers try to sell old models first. If you have a buddy that is good with computers make it a project and have fun with it. Or go to a gaming computer companies web site and steal there specs for a up to date model and bring it into your price range by changing grafix cards then put it together yourself with all the how too videos on the net. Just keep in mind the guy at the store is a salesman that most often has no idea what he is talking about. Of course also keep in mind that guys on the internets are often trolls that have no idea what they are talking about :D.

Edit: That's true I didn't think about a os... AAArrrgg we be staying in the gold range one way or another I'd bet mee other eye and leg on it.
    Maybe these days I'm wrong about the PC pricepoint thing. Still, not everybody has the know-how or the desire to put a homegrown PC together. I know I've never attempted it, myself. Also, there's exclusives and friends to consider. Deep Down and Killzone: Shadowfall won't be on PC, and one of my most stalwart multiplayer comrades does not have a Battlefield 4 or Dark Souls II-capable PC.
    If you have a company make it for you it cost at least 2x as much, and you get (their) lower quality items where they think they can get away with it. Companies like Alienware are a joke now a days with the rise in the avg persons computer knowledge as all the extra cost is for a cool looking case. There are some people that still buy them for what ever reasons, but it's more than worth the time it takes to learn to do it yourself; its also a pretty fun project. #MoreFunThenHomeMadeBread
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    actually putting computers together is incredibly easy, its almost like lego, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't go there, if it does fit, it goes there, plus every part has instructions on how and where to pit them in, ( just make sure you actually READ and start at step 1 and not step 2, ah pointless shaving of plastic on my cpu holder just to figure out that step 1 said to take it out, so that's why it didn't fit....... :) ) but 600 bucks or so to build a beast that can run the latest games on the highest settings? neigh, or at least not in Canada, and im talking AA x16/ x32 at 2500 res at 60 fps, that requires some horse power, you can probably do it for 1000, but running at those settings on a 600 dollar machine and its going to lag hard, and PS: I used to run sli with the gtx 470s ( and the 470s are great), I really wish they didn't get discontinued because one of my cards died, and of coarse I didn't get the warranty, so I sold the other 470 and bought 2 7850s instead
    edited November 2013
    Yea 470s were like first off the line "next gen" They preform well but are way to loud or at times overheat. The 660s are a upgrade in the series and are 150$ less each than what I payed for the 470s a few years ago. I don't know if 470s sli would beat out 660 but the point is really moot since you have to wait months for sli compatibility for games if they ever get it. I can play what ever I want on max with no notable lag until my card starts to overheat lol I am sure a 660 preforms much better though. The most important thing to remember with a computer you can just upgrade your cards when ever you want or can afford it.

Edit: When I upgrade I am going single card because of the issues stated above.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I could buy PS4, but i'd rather prefer to buy a motocycle 0km with that money :)! The price on brazil is abusive.
    I don't plan on buying either console. I want to save up for a new PC through my student job. Things in general are so damn expensive today.