Skip to content

[Request] Modify Kivan's bandit-timer mechanic to allow for more flexibility/less stress

nulspacenulspace Member Posts: 100
Since Kivan is found in High Hedge (directly below Gorion's death zone) he can literally be the first NPC to join CHARNAME's party (assuming you ditch Imoen).

Given that he can be found so early in the game and that he has a static timer on his "help me go find and kill bandits" quest, it becomes very impractical to try and rush through Friendly Arm Inn/Beregost/Nashkel Mines to try and reach the bandit camp before he leaves permanently (especially for new players who don't realize that there may be a timer associated with him).

I would suggest one of three options:

1. Remove the timer completely
2. Increase the length of the timer by a factor of 3-4
3. Keep the timer, but instead of banishing him permanently when the timer expires, have him go to the Bandit Camp alone. This would allow you to meet with him again when the time for bandit scalpin' comes.

This has always been an issue for me since Kivan is one of my favourite NPCs, which means I like getting him early.

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I never realized this could happen as I always picked him up after clearing the mines.

I think it would be a nice thing to fix.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I agree. Minsc's timer should have the same effect with regard to Dynaheir.
  • nulspacenulspace Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2012
    I agree. Minsc's timer should have the same effect with regard to Dynaheir.
    Good point - I forgot that Minsc had a timer for his Dynaheir quest (since I normally power through the Gnoll Stronghold asap!), but the same thinking should apply. Many modern games aren't as unforgiving as BG1 was in terms of NPCs leaving permanently. I think that having them leave to a predefined place for future rendezvous would be an acceptable solution that keeps the feeling of urgency of the timer mechanic, but still indicates to the player that NPCs really do have their own agendas.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Well, Minsc's timer do make sense since you know from the beginning where Dynaheir is - it becomes apparent that you're ignoring the quest. Kivan's not so much since you still have to go through the trouble of finding the bandit camp, no?
    That's true. I like the idea of departing NPCs going to continue their own quest, though; I would also go so far as to say that the timer should be suspended when inside, at a town, or in a dungeon. It seems unrealistic that Kivan would leave your party while in the middle of the Ulcaster ruins.
    @Aosaw

I can see why Dungeons, but why towns? Wouldn't they be a perfect opportunity for departure?
    I guess that's true. I was just thinking of places that might exist as "frozen time" areas. But you're probably right - anywhere that's outside should be a viable place for separation.

They also shouldn't leave if there are hostile creatures present. Nothing says "See ya later" like leaving in the middle of a combat with a half-dozen ogres. ;)
    @Aosaw

That never happened to me but I can imagine the horror - and its hilarious.

I don't think it's ever happened to me either, but I've heard stories, and can only imagine the frustration and absurdity of the situation.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i've never had kivan leave me either, if i do get him, he is the 2nd npc i would get (imoen first) and then i would grab 3 more, and hit about maybe another 60 days or so of adventuring, finishing off every other single area on the map first before going to the mines then the bandit camp and not once did he threaten to leave or do anything of that caliber, maybe it depends on what you say to him? i believe he has a couple different options on what you can say to him, and maybe that is what makes him have a timer/ no timer ?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I've never knew something like this with Kivan is possible. I support suggestion nr. 3, eventually something between 2 and 3.
  • krossbow7krossbow7 Member Posts: 6
    I know he'll leave the party if I talk to him; however, He doesn't leave on his own UNLESS i talk to him, which is annoying... Especially since I've DONE the bandit quest by now. :/

Its really annoying.