Skip to content

End of SoA choices

Huloo, noob question. So, I've been to the end of SoA once, with a good aligned sorcerer. I don't remember what options I took for the challenges exactly, but they where mostly the good ones. I was just wondering what the impact of your choices here have on the game, if any. I think most people chose to lose 1 point of dex, instead of kill a party member, but you can just raise them afterward. And you could fight the beholders, or you can still not take the Cloak and just cast remove fear.
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, I would put it in help for new players but the whole thing is one huge spoiler.

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Well, you get different rewards for the different paths, stat increases and such, so that can have an effect on the game mechanically. Taking any evil option will also make you Evil, and if you are a Paladin or Ranger you will fall and lose all your skills.
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279

Well, you get different rewards for the different paths, stat increases and such, so that can have an effect on the game mechanically. Taking any evil option will also make you Evil, and if you are a Paladin or Ranger you will fall and lose all your skills.

Do you really fall? I ended my playthrough with a neutral evil cavalier, but i don't remember falling.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Wolk said:

Do you really fall? I ended my playthrough with a neutral evil cavalier, but i don't remember falling.
    I remember when I was playing as an Undead Hunter (without knowing otherwise) I decided to let one of my party members die during one of the trials (I guess I switched it to normal so they could be resurrected). I didn't realize it at the time but early on in ToB I noticed I could no longer cast priest spells so I had to redo the end of SoA. So yes it will cause a ranger or paladin to fall.
  • CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73

Taking any evil option will also make you Evil, and if you are a Paladin or Ranger you will fall and lose all your skills.

A bit bizarre imo. Getting angry at Sarevok or accepting a cloak made of nymphs (eww, but they're already dead, right?) shouldn't turn your character to NE. Not everyone plays LG paladins...
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    I plan to fall. My NG H-orc Fighter/cleric wannabe-paladin will be LG in SoA and NE in ToB.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Cherudek said:

Taking any evil option will also make you Evil, and if you are a Paladin or Ranger you will fall and lose all your skills.

A bit bizarre imo. Getting angry at Sarevok or accepting a cloak made of nymphs (eww, but they're already dead, right?) shouldn't turn your character to NE. Not everyone plays LG paladins...
    Not at all. The game is only designed to have LG Paladins. You're asking them to have included consequences for option they did not intend to be available.

What's is bizarre though is how you can go around and be practically a real bastard through two games and choose almost all the evil options that's possible and still not fall as long as you keep your reputation score high enough, yet fall immediately upon these actions. I guess it can be handwaved as how these end options is supposed to symbolise character development of some sort but it still strikes me as pretty lazy design.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    One part of Quest Pack (Revised Hell Trials ) really enhances the Hell. It gives the third (neutral) option and changes the rules for alignment change. Now it is possible to become neutral, one evil choice doesn´t necessarilly mean alignment change (depending on your starting alignment) etc.
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    Im sure that on the internet you can find a guide that tells specifically what each choice does and the effects it has. AFAIK choosing any evil option gives you a bonus somehow, but it will make you Neutral Evil. Any of the good options will allow you to stay whatever alignment you were but you will suffer for it somehow.

Although I've mainly played it with the Revised Hell Trials that @velehal mentioned. They are much better.

I really do think the whole morality point in an RPG is very important so I have always played Soa/ToB with mods such as Virtue, enhanced hell trials, priest strongholds based on lawful-chaotic, etc.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    can druids fall, as they're alignment-locked too?
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    My issue with the whole thing is the idea that there are no shades of gray in the whole trial. To kill a green dragon because you know you are more powerful is not particularly evil if your character perceives the dragon to be a threat to the greater good anyway; neutral aligned characters may realise that Blackrazor is evil, but also see that in their hands it might be the best way of stopping Irenicus from claiming their soul. It's not all a heart of gold or a heart of malice, which is why I hope that the alignment amendment mechanic that comes at the end of the trial is somehow redacted in BG2:EE.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    mjs said:

can druids fall, as they're alignment-locked too?

Nope.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    You do get quite a lot of hints in the Hell Trials. The Dragon isn't antagonistic or aggressive, so killing it purely to advance your aims is fairly Evil. Sarevok pretty explicitly wants you to give in to the essence of Bhaal, so resisiting is obvious for a Good character (less to an impulsive Chaotic Neutral though, granted).

I guess for Good and Evil characters it is fairly black and white. Neutral characters could quite easily roleplay the "evil" option and get an alignment change without actually departing from their neutral stance.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The Hell Trials are stupid and incredibly hamhanded in testing your alignment. You're either a saint or you're stamped with the Evil stamp.
    Revised Hell Trials makes it somewhat better, but it's still pretty damn narrowminded.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Cherudek said:

LG Paladins aren't the only ones who turn evil by being total dicks. Except for losing your temper at Sarevok (and even that has the nasty connotation of channeling your inner deathgod), all of the Evil choices are pretty despicable. You're wearing the flesh of a bunch of preternaturally beautiful women who just want to live in peace in the forests, killing a dragon because it happens to be in your way, and sacrificing one of your unwilling companions to save yourself a tiny iota of your personal ability.

• BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    If you don't look at it as a test of your alignment, but rather as a fight against the taint it makes more sense. You only have to fall once and it gets to you. You are corrupted by it no matter how much you try to redeem yourself later on.
  • CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73
    edited November 2013
    Even Luke Skywalker momentarily fell to the dark side against Darth Vader, and he still recovered. ;)

I don't like the trials because they are too restrictive. There should be room for roleplaying something else than a saint that can do no wrong. And while some of the evil options are rather despicable, not all of them are, imo. Accepting or refusing the nymph cloak is more a matter of practicality than anything else, considering the evil has already been done in that case.

edit: the Revised Hells Trials mod looks great. Anyone knows if it will be compatible with BG2:EE?
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 135
    Point is not if the evil has been done but in accepting it you condone what has been done. It is like the skin armor, would you really be comfortable wearing armor made from intelegent mortals who you know were killed and skinned to make it?
    Overall that is an evil act and in hell all "evil" decisions do bring to your "fall". In the grand scheme of things it comes down to will you leave hell with your soul intact or does your herritage win over you.

In the end of it all, only real repercausitons are towards your allignment. So Holly smite against evil characters works against you as you are evil now, cause of it if you in the end decide to become a God you become an evil God, a new God of Murder instead of new Helm-like God if you were neutral or Lanthander-like God if you were good before hell.
  • You don't wear dragon scale armor?
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited November 2013
    I would assume most dragon scale armours are justified because Chromatic Dragons (Red, Green etc) are inherently evil in 2nd Edition D&D.

That said though, Drow are inherently evil in 2nd Edition. Wearing a Drow-skin cloak would be pretty bloody evil, or at least utterly sociopathic. *Edit* Might make an interesting Lawful Neutral character though - obeys the laws of their society, kills the Drow that threaten it and proudly displays lovingly wrought Drow-skin boots and accessories. yuck.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    I think it's been discussed at length before that the way BG treats good and evil is ridiculously two-dimensional and shallow. Not to mention the whole problem of "inherent" good/evil to begin with...
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Corvino said:

That said though, Drow are inherently evil in 2nd Edition. Wearing a Drow-skin cloak would be pretty bloody evil, or at least utterly sociopathic. *Edit* Might make an interesting Lawful Neutral character though - obeys the laws of their society, kills the Drow that threaten it and proudly displays lovingly wrought Drow-skin boots and accessories. yuck.

I believe several campaign supplements in 2E had Neutral Drow. As a society, they're very much Neutral/Chaotic Evil, but individuals are, as ever, just that. Individual.
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 135
    Overall only non evil Drow were worshipers of Elistraee in 2 edition... other then Drizzt Do'Urden who is... well special snowflake.
    And their numbers were less then 10% of all drow. With 70% of all drow belonging to Lolth and with that are evil as hell. If you look lore wise, drows are evil cause they don't know better for the most part as Lolth keeps a short leash on them all.
    Only redemption and way for anything different comes from Elistraee who went into Elven banishment with her family with hope she could save drow's from her evil mother. Other Drow gods are all as evil as Lolth. Her son's Vhaerun and Selvetarm, Kirensalee and Ghandalur (I might have miswrote some of the names).

So it is funny that most of the drow are evil, even neutral drows are sort of evil, look at Vico, when you have her in party she is evil and she even does evil things without any problem, but that is cause she really doesn't know better till we teach her there is a better way (if you are a good party with Vico in group).
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    edited November 2013

I think it's been discussed at length before that the way BG treats good and evil is ridiculously two-dimensional and shallow. Not to mention the whole problem of "inherent" good/evil to begin with...

I don't like to spoil secrets but
    Ajantis
    is the one that actually judges you on your trails.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited November 2013
    ...it has been years since I was in Hell last time and I don't know if I ever really noticed the alignment changes back then, but.

Do you want to tell me that my Chaotic Evil, psychopat, arsonist, Joker-wannabe Sorcerer actually got a bit better after he fell in Hell ?? (CE -> NE)
  • RadwulfRadwulf Member Posts: 49
    edited November 2013
    The hell trials are completely broken. If you are any other alignment than neutral evil then you have to make all the 'good' choices in order to keep your alignment, even if you are lawful or chaotic evil. Similarly if you are neutral evil you can make all the 'good' choices and still be neutral evil. The entire section is ridiculous. Not only that but the rewards are also very one sided. Most evil rewards are generic stat increases for fighters whereas the good rewards are mostly objectively better from a power playing point of view.

What I think should happen is that the hell trials should be adjusted along the lines of the revised hell trials mod, but only in regards to alignment and what items you acquire (and the Dex punishment should be removed). Rather than linking rewards to your decisions, rewards should instead be given simply for having managed to pass the trial and discovering more about yourself and your relationship to your heritage. Each trial would have a reward type offering a selection of upgrades: Wrath for example would be an attribute boost where you could choose to increase any attribute by 2 according to your requirements, whereas Selfishness could give you a choice of resistances.

Should these changes be implemented the hell trials would lose their bizarre binary morality to be replaced instead with the ability for the player to further evolve and develop their character in a logical, fair and emergent manner consistent with a maturing demi-god and player agency.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Cherudek said:

Even Luke Skywalker momentarily fell to the dark side against Darth Vader, and he still recovered. ;)

He was meant to fall completely. The original concept, as I understand it, was that he falls and joins Vader. hence making room for episodes 7-9. But it didn't 'Test' well, so they changed the ending. I've even seen a poster for the original title 'The Revenge of the Jedi'.

I can confirm that if you are already Evil-aligned the Hell trials do not change your alignment. You stay Lawful/Chaotic Evil.

On the other hand, they seem to have got rid of the bonus +1 Core Stat from the Wrath Trial, which is a shame.
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106

I can confirm that if you are already Evil-aligned the Hell trials do not change your alignment. You stay Lawful/Chaotic Evil.

On the other hand, they seem to have got rid of the bonus +1 Core Stat from the Wrath Trial, which is a shame.

I wonder why they removed that. Was is some kind of artifact of an earlier version of the trials that wasn't supposed to be there anymore or something?

I still think it should tally your total for alignment (or be completely overhauled). Neutral if you split 2/3 or 3/2, and the other two if you're 4 or more evil or good path.
  • sffrrromsffrrrom Member Posts: 60
    I believe there was sufficient data to indicate it was an unresolved bug, IIRC.
    Its kind of annoying, though, because it was one of the very, very few ways to up Dexterity if you were a Thief.

I guess I can always use 'Keeper to add the bonus after the fact.