Skip to content

Icewind Dale - should I get it now?

LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
edited November 2013 in Off-Topic
So, obviously I've missed the window where IWD was a new game. I've never played it before, I hear mixed reviews (people love it, people hate it, people are even indifferent to it) and I'm tempted to wait a few years to see if Beamdog can acquire the rights and make an EE of it. However, I am under no illusion that such a thing would happen soon, and I am tempted to acquire a copy of the game to try it out.

I've played BG1, BG:EE and Planescape: Torment (I didn't beat the last one but I was up to about level 13). I enjoyed all of those titles very much, and I'm wondering what the community opinion is on whether I should bite the bullet now (finances are tight so I don't spend $10 lightly) or wait a few years for an IWD:EE to roll out.

What do you all think?
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I'll put it like this, its a game that power gamers like. Overkill weapons, armor and enemies that can be very hard to beat even if you are not using the Heart of Fury mode. Its a create your own party type of game with no joinable NPCs like the BG games. Which means no bantering dialog between characters. The story is linear with very few optional paths to take to get to the end of the game.

I like it. Its a Forgotten Realms game that uses 2E rules in a setting that I like in the northern part of Toril.
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    I have no clue as the why, but I couldn't play it. I love Baldur's Gate passionately. I've tried IWD over, and over, and over. I've never been able to play it, I can't even give you a reason. I would just sit there playing this and say to myself, "I'm hating this, I have no idea why, I can't even point out why I hate this, I just do."

That being said, obviously plenty of people enjoy the game, I just personally could not.
    Reading this over it's not really helpful to you, sorry :p
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Hmm, alright. If it's a linear story, it shouldn't be too hard to estimate the number of hours to play through the game (I don't mean a timed challenge, I mean your first play-through where you are digging for every scrap of content the first time around). For instance, I beat Portal the first time in about 9 or 10 hours, because I really like looking around and making sure I don't miss anything.

IWD sounds like it could be fun, and I don't mind a linear story (I have had fun with The Black Pits, just not as much as the base game of Baldur's Gate), I guess I want to be sure it's worth the money and has enough replay value. It sounds like the answer may be yes, but if you tell me an in-depth playthrough takes 3-4 hours I may shy away from it.
    It'll take more than 4 hours. There are subquests as well. If you get Heart of Winter and the free Trials of the Luremaster there will be plenty of time out into playing the game. Or buy a package that has the game and the two expansions.
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438

I'll put it like this, its a game that power gamers like.

LMAO

I'm currently running through the IWD series now. It's a game I play when I find the ridiculous power levels of the BG series to be too overwhelming and need a break. Frankly, I find the IWD games to be a scaled back version of BG, in terms of blowing sh*t up with your mind.

IWD2 is actually a pretty decent implementation of 3e, unlike BG2 which uses a frankensteined 2e and 3e. I always thought that if someone were to merge BG's story with IWD2's mechanics, it would be a killer game. Actually, someone(s) did try that once with Icewind Gate, but the project fell apart.

It is a dungeon crawl, though. So, if you're looking for a story, keep looking. The story is basically that a BBEG arises to break stuff and look tough. You run around a bunch of dungeons to track it down, then kill it. In my opinion, it's not super hard. I'm not terribly great at video games, and I'm getting through IWD1 plenty fine with a non-munchkinized party of a Paladin, Cleric, Thief, and Mage, all single-classed.

I would be surprised if they made an EE for the IWD series. But, if you really want to hold out, try The Temple of Elemental Evil. With the Co8 fixpack, it's considered to be the best d20 implementation in a video game.
  • Wait for the enhanced edition

I'm crossin my fingers here
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    ID:EE would definitely be vastly superior to regular ID which is really hard getting into (imo) these days as it really feels -very- old after playing BGII/EE or ID2. Definitely don't play ID2 first if you want to play ID though. It's that much better than the first of the series mechanically speaking.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Definitely yes. It's I'd rank IWD as the 3rd best IE game right after BG2 and PS:T. It works just fine, if you get the basic mods like widescreen and fixpack for it.

Also there is a merchant in BG2 that sells excusively IWD inspired items. It's pretty cool lore tidbit if you actually know who, or what, the items are named after. PS. There's also PS:T item merchant in BG2. ;)
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    I had fun playing IWD. The expansion of IWD1 was worthwile, and I tweaked the game a bit with various packs.

Definitely play 1 before 2!

What I really liked about 2 was the fact that there were various subraces and the multi-classing of 3d ed D&D is just awesome. I think I spent several hours figuring out what class would go well with which race and additional class (there are guides to help).
  • magpiemagpie Member Posts: 79
    I'm playing it right now! It's completely linear, the story is throwaway, and there is a lot of combat. But the combat can be pretty interesting and challenging on higher difficulties with a team that does not consist of ultra-optimized superhumans. Quite a bit of the loot is randomized, so that gives some replayability and forces you to adapt on the spot. Found an amazing bastard sword? Might as well put that next proficiency point there.

I'm actually quite enjoying it, though it doesn't capture me like Baldur's Gate does. I do really, really like the setting, the visuals and the music though. Actually more than BG.

There is an NPC pack for IWD, with characters that banter with you and between themselves. I thought that would be nice, but it didn't really work for me. I didn't really like the characters/voices, and the story is so understated that I feel the game lends itself better for light roleplaying to fill in the gaps (i.e. spend some thought on how your characters met, what their relations are and how they would react to things) than for extensively predeveloped characters.

IWD2 is also nice, since it uses the 3rd edition rules, so that makes for an interesting change. I wouldn't say that you couldn't go back from IWD2 to IWD though. For me the 2nd edition rules have their own charm.

And if you're interested in a true DnD 3rd ed. turn based tactical combat game, I also second the recommendation for The Temple of Elemental Evil with the Co8 mod/fix pack.

None of these can hold a candle to BG's story and possible character investment though.

• Definitely get it. While the Bhaalspawn saga has a great story, Icewind Dale REALLY reflects the north very well! I loved the contrast between IWD1 and 2, as well as the new adventures of Heart of Winter :D
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    IWD simultaneously manages to be a hack and slash dungeon crawl and yet beautifully atmospheric. I would highly recommend it. If you can find a cheap pack with the expansions and IWD2 all bundled up together, get the lot. (I think IWD2 might be my single favourite game. Ever.)
  • melakonmelakon Member Posts: 26
    The music and atmosphere of it alone are worth it, and you'll easily get 40-50 hours on a first playthrough if you enjoy looking around and exploring.
    Alright, this is some good feedback, thanks everyone for contributing thus far.

I may purchase it soon, although I might wait until my BG2:EE fever has died down a little. ^_^
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    If finances really are that tight for you right now, I'd think that money is better spent elsewhere. Just sayin'.

If finances really are that tight for you right now, I'd think that money is better spent elsewhere. Just sayin'.

Oh, probably. Who needs food when you're feasting on the psychic energy of a game though? XD

I may be overstating the money situation a little, part of it is I am miserly and I like getting bang for my buck.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Yes
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    edited November 2013
    Buy iwd and iwd2.
    Get widescreen mod and enjoy.

Also if you have bg2+expansion, you can play iwd1 in bg2 engine with a mod.
    I haven't tried it yet but will try soon as i can't stand orginal iwd1 anymore :)
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629

Oh, probably. Who needs food when you're feasting on the psychic energy of a game though? XD

I may be overstating the money situation a little, part of it is I am miserly and I like getting bang for my buck.
    I see. Well, Icewindale is mostly about combat. A whole lot of combat. The story is there, but it isn't as immersive as Baldur's Gate's, and there also aren't any party banters, since you create your party yourself. But the graphics, albeit outdated, are on par with those of Baldur's Gate, and the music indeed is very nice. Just don't try to play all of it in one go, as you might risk getting bored of the repetitive combat. All in all, worth buying, though. :)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    The engine features in enhanced edition have ruined other infinity engine games for me for the time being, even with extensive modding.
  • XagygXagyg Member Posts: 4
    If you can find a cheap copy I'd recommend giving it a whirl. I've played it almost to the end several years ago then other things came along and I never actually finished it but will be reloading it again to try. I remember trying to keep party numbers down to a minimum but you really need everyone you can as some of the combats are long and complicated.

I enjoyed creating a whole party, as I felt more invested in each character , but it was time consuming. The graphics and music were good, nice and atmospheric .

Overall worth a go :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    The setting, the atmosphere, and the lore make Icewind Dale a very immersive experience if you allow yourself to be immersed.

If you are one of those gamers who doesn't get immersed or insists on multi-tasking while gaming your experience with the game probably won't be that enjoyable. So yeah. That atmosphere is everything, truly.
    Quartz said:

The setting, the atmosphere, and the lore make Icewind Dale a very immersive experience if you allow yourself to be immersed.

If you are one of those gamers who doesn't get immersed or insists on multi-tasking while gaming your experience with the game probably won't be that enjoyable. So yeah. That atmosphere is everything, truly.

I'm terrible at multitasking, getting immersed is not a problem. ^_^

Sounds like it's probably worth a go. I'm going to dive into BG2:EE first, but the overall feedback here seems positive, and I feel like I have some idea of what I'm getting into. Once my fever for BG2:EE dies down a little, I'll go for IWD.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited November 2013
    I honestly can't even play IWD2 any more after experience the BG2 and now BG:EE ruleset, but it was fun originally. IWD2 is still one of my favorite IE games, though, perhaps even slightly edging out BG1.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that, I like IWD2 a lot more than BG1. And, considering I love BG:EE immensely, that's saying something.
    OK, so... I lied. I can't stand the wait for BG2:EE any longer so I bought IWD Complete to tide me over.

I'm only up to the 2nd town but it is fun so far. I haven't regretted buying it yet, although it definitely feels like a blast from the past.

Now I finally understand what someone meant in the Chronic Restart Detox thread about voicesets in IWD. They are quite well done and make the character worthwhile.
    Best atmosphere, best soundtrack, best ambient sounds, best sound sets, great looking portraits, you can't go wrong having IWD.
    The atmosphere definitely has me sold, the narrator with the storybook works for me. I'm liking it even though it's showing its age a little. ^_~
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    edited November 2013
    Dear IWD wanna-players ,

1.www.gog.com
    2.Look for BG1 original looks mod , 1pp-fix of name it should be , around google
    3.In its original folder, run config, and make the game difficulty "Heart of Fury"
    4.If you can kill the first goblin in the game , please tell us here of your great adventure and how you did it , because it is frigging difficult. And goblin gives 2000~ exp. , as a welcome to you :)

IWD is a great game for memory , remembering some tough battles you managed it somehow. I can bet on you may be , that you won't be able to pass Yxunomei easily in full Heart of Fury :) You can upload a video of the full area , if you can manage.

I finished IWD anew , in this summer. I never looked to any walkthroughs or anything tutorial about it to make it more entertaining for me , so I recommend it ; apart from of course it's original manuals.
  • CantabCantab Member Posts: 56
    Glad to hear you're enjoying it, I am probably one of the few that found IWD > BG, though I love them both. Probably because I prefer the whole create your own party to be better than having randoms join, plus IWD is more difficult and harder to 'break'.

IWD 1,2 and hearts of furry are all definitely worth it, but I found Tales of the Luremaster to be pretty average and has a 'breaking the game' element to it. IMO