Skip to content

Differences between importing character from BG1 to BG2 and creating a new character in BG2?

What, if any, differences are there (or can there be) between creating a character from scratch in BG2 and importing an existing character from BG1? For example can it have any affect companion story/interactions if you treated them in a particular way in BG1?

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    In addition to the above, I think it's worth mentioning that:

1) The additional xp is not as big a deal as you might think. You get so much xp in BG 2 that an extra 70K or so is near irrelevant.

2) The items are nice, but only the Helm of Balduran stays useful for long.

3) What is perhaps more significant in my opinion is that you retain spells you learnt, which can give a spellcaster a much more comprehensive spellbook than a new BG 2 character.

4) The tome thing is only relevant if you are using a powergaming character. You don't need a superhuman character to play BG 2.
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    edited November 2013
    If we are talking Vanilla BG, without the ToSC expansion installed, then a character imported in BG 2 gets 89,000 XP. You only get the 161,000 if you played through ToSC as well (the game detects a variable for ToSC in the saved game, or something). BGEE contains ToSC, so when BG2EE comes out, imported characters will probably be set at 161,000 (maybe even new characters?).

Also note that, even if you removed the XP cap, your XP in BG2 would be set back to 89,000 or 161,000 respectively, and i expect the same to happen with the new edition.

EDIT: My memory came back. There is one BG1 npc interraction that has an effect in BG2, but we are in a no spoiler category....
    Post edited by Michail on
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    Since BG:EE and BG2:EE both use the same version of the engine unlike vanilla BG and BG2, It should be possible for more to carry over.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    The tomes are the main thing that a BG import benefits from, potentially having 8 more stat points than a fresh roll in BG2, and having impossible-to-start-with stats like 20 dex on an elf or 19 con on a human (or a 21 wisdom on anybody!).

As far as the XP, I tended to speed run through BG just far enough to get all the tomes and then export. Why? Because hit points were averaged for the imported character if you chose a kit. Having an 18 con elf ranger with over 110 hp (vanilla game where you re-loaded 100 times to get those max hp rolls) who then gets nerfed down to 81 when you chose stalker kit SUCKED. By importing earlier with just the tome boosts (say at level 5 or 6), you were brought up to the 89k xp minimum and still had 2-3 levels of full hp growth available in BG2.

Now that BG2:EE should maintain ALL your stats during transfer, this shouldn't be a problem anymore - so I'll be able to max out in BG before exporting.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    edited November 2013
    Michail said:

If we are talking Vanilla BG, without the ToSC expansion installed, then a character imported in BG 2 gets 89,000 XP. You only get the 161,000 if you played through ToSC as well (the game detects a variable for ToSC in the saved game, or something). BGEE contains ToSC, so when BG2EE comes out, imported characters will probably be set at 161,000 (maybe even new characters?).

Actually if you had any xp over 89k you had exactly that much on your imported character in BG2. If you imported at 145k, the character in BG2 would have 145k. Trust, this happened to me a lot when I would get to Chapter 7 and realize I just couldn't be bothered to do TotSC this run.

It only gives you 89k exactly if you import a character who had less xp than that, which I've also done a lot when I only wanted the tome boosts and didn't care about finishing BG.
  • tsondaboytsondaboy Member Posts: 12
    The tomes should be a measure of Vanilla BG level. You can basically import the same character over and over again and raise all his primary stats above 20. Unless of course that's a game bug and you are not supposed to get the tomes benefit if you import a character that has already read the tomes.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    tsondaboy said:

The tomes should be a measure of Vanilla BG level. You can basically import the same character over and over again and raise all his primary stats above 20. Unless of course that's a game bug and you are not supposed to get the tomes benefit if you import a character that has already read the tomes.

It's legal, it's just tedious. In the Baldur's Gate series, rather than having another person be the Dungeon Master, you must be your own DM. You set the parameters within which to have fun. If grinding through the same game multiple times to create an overpowered PC is fun for you, that's your business. For me, at that point I'd rather just cheat in extra tomes or use a Keeper to edit my stats up.
  • hkanshkans Member Posts: 6
    So I'm about a decade late on this, but there's no need to play though multiple times to get tomes. You can create a character who holds the tomes, export them, then create a party with this person to easily stack tomes. Seems stupid but after Android disallowed save file export is a fast way to adjust stats without playing through over and over again. (When I want to cheat, I use this tactic: I created a character called Tomes whos inventory and quick slots are stuffed with all 6 types, then I just add him to the beginning party a few times)
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,830
    A technical clarification on some tricky bits:

Each campaign has a starting XP value; 0 for Baldur's Gate 1, 64K for Siege of Dragonspear, 89K for Shadows of Amn, 2.5M for Throne of Bhaal, 0 for Black Pits 1, 500K for Black Pits 2.
    If you import a character to a campaign with more than that campaign's starting XP (but still less than its cap), that character keeps their XP.
    If you import a character to a campaign with less than that campaign's starting XP, then they are raised to that starting XP level. And they automatically take any levels gained this way; this can be buggy, as leveling during the character creation process is handled differently from leveling in normal gameplay. It is strongly recommended that you play characters to at least the starting XP value of the next campaign before importing, so as to avoid this.

(Example of buggy behavior: Suppose you have a level 6 Bounty Hunter (20K XP) dual-classed to a level 1 mage (0 XP) in BG1. If you import that character to BG2 and start the SoA campaign, they go up to 89K total XP. That's 69K mage XP, enough for mage level 7. This completes the dual class, while still in the character creation process. And when you play the character, while they'll be able to use thief skills and thief equipment, but they won't have any normal or special traps - the kit abilities of the original class are not restored by completing a dual in character creation.)