Skip to content

Another iPad XPcap/custom portrait thread...

meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
edited November 2013 in iPad (Archive)
So, I've looked around some threads, but most of what I have seen is old or does not apply to me. I have a Mac with mountain lion, iFunbox, (though I don't really know how to use this) an iPad mini, and a solo sorcerer that hit the XP cap at the bandit camp, and would like to look a little more like this:
lolien

Comments

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    * How to Use Custom Portraits -
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7461/heres-how-to-use-custom-portraits/p1
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13774/creating-custom-portraits-with-ipad-only-version

These are linked in the "Known Bugs and Issues" thread which I tried to keep updated with interesting posts and community knowledge. If the above don't help you, please let us know what you've done/tried and how far you got on trying the stuff linked above and maybe someone can give you some tips on where you're going wrong.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I was really just wondering if I can remove the XP cap without a jailbreak.
    lolien
  • nsrnsr Member Posts: 174
    Try this:

Download the files linked in the first post here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10212/a-simple-xp-cap-remover/p1

Move the files to the Library\Portraits folder as described by the first post here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16695/amazing-discovery-overriding-cre-files-without-override-folder-and-jailbreak/p1

And see if that works.
    I have seen these threads and still have no idea what yo do. I do not have th Mac version of the game, or any form of shadowkeeper whatchamacallit. I haven't really been able to find step by step instructions for my particular predicament. Please help.
    lolien
    Please.....
    lolien
  • TravelleriTravelleri Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2013
    I spose the mac version of the iFunbox works pretty much the same way as the WIndows version and has the same kinda menus as Windows version... So this is how u do:

1) Download these files from this link: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10212/a-simple-xp-cap-remover/p1

XPCAP.2DA
    STARTARE.2DA
    STARTBP.2DA

2) Start the iFunbox

3) Connect your Ipad with the USB cable to your mac...

4) If the iTunes starts automaticly after your Ipad is connected, close it and go back to the iFunbox.

5) Go to "iFunbox Classic"-view/tab

6) If you can see your Ipad listed there, browse to the folder named as "Library". It's located under "User Applications\Baldur's Gate\".

7) There you might see a folder name as "portraits". If it's not there, create one. So the whole path should be "User Applications\Baldur's Gate\Library\portraits\". I had to create it by myself...

8) Copy those three downloaded .2DA files inside that "portraits" folder.

9) Take the USB cable off and tap the Baldur's Gate icon on Ipad to start the game.

10) Ta-daaaa!

U can use the same folder for custom portraits as well, but right now I'm not sure how to import those for your character, since the needed button for importing is missing. To use custom portraits, u need to name those picture files as some npc, that u don't wanna play or see... For example:

I changed the portrait for Garric by downloading a set of pics I liked and named those pics like this:

GARRICKL.bmp
    GARRICKM.bmp
    GARRICKS.bmp

L=Large, M=Medium, S=Small.

Please use a set that is already there and don't make your own before you can check if everything is ok. After u copy those three files in the same "portraits" folder, you can steal his portrait for yourself when creating a new character for example... =) You can also change the portrait for your current character by going to the customize menu and by clicking the appearance button.

You can also use the same method to make Viconia sexier... =)

VICONIAL.bmp
    VICONIAM.bmp
    VICONIAS.bmp

No way to cure her bad stats anyway... I'd like her to have the same stats as in BG2 and we can't mod that right now, at least for my knowledge. Never tried tho, but as we can't edit the dialog.tlk and some other things on Ipad, so I spose it would just be a waste of time... All we need is that the program would be redirected to look for the dialog.tlk from inside of the "override" folder, that "portraits" is right now.

Seems simple...? Probably not, but it could be... U never know, as the people doind the dev part are not very informative... =)
    Post edited by Travelleri on
    lolien
    @travelleri
    Thank you, this s just what i was looking for, unfortunately it hasn't worked. I created a portraits folder in library as you said:image
    And then put the files in it:image
    But when I go into the game, my sorcerer kills a spider, it says I gain 450xp, and my XP stays at 161000.
    I also tried putting a .bmp file in named GARRICK.bmp, and that did not replace Garrick's portrait. I think I'm doing iFunbox wrong. Thank you again for the instructions.
    lolien
    Try making the folder name capitalized ( Portraits)
    lolien
    @nsr this didn't work. Is there something I have to do in iFunbox to apply this? It should effect all save games, yes?
    lolien
    if it worked, it should affect all save games. but I've never actually tried it with the "Portraits" method, so I've never used this specific method.
    GARRICK.bmp Should be GARRICKL.bmp, GARRICM.bmp and GARRICS.bmp

There are always pics of three different size so the game can find the right one for different use. Try to find a set of some portrait that u like and rename those pics like that.

I have to see about that xp cap later on...
    lolien
    I know about the portrait sizes, I just miss typed it there. I had it as GARRICKM.bmp.
    lolien
    Any I should be able to do this on a normal iPad, no jailbreak, or anything I should have done when I got iFunbox, right?
    lolien
    At least I didn't have to do anything else to get it work. I have those portraits show up but my xp is capped at 500k... I would like to know how to remove that cap totally tho. I'm using Ipad 3 with Retina-display.
    I wonder if it makes a difference if you've bought the Portrait Pack DLC or not
    Hmmmm... Who knows... At least I've bought every DLC available.
    lolien
    edited November 2013
    I've not bought the portraits or dorn, but I have everything else.
    lolien
    Yaaaa! It works with the 1.2 patch!
    Travellerilolien