Skip to content

Swashbuckler, swashbuckler->mage or swashbuckler -> cleric

Hi

Ive decided to give BG another shot, ive dabbled with an avenger druid and inquisitor pallie and i got kinda bored of them, however i really like the idea of a swashbuckling thief and I've searched a bit on the matter, but i have a few specific questions that i hope you guys could answer.

What are the main advantage of dual classing into a mage or cleric in terms of damage output/versatility and melee capability? is there any advantage to just stay a swashbuckler

should i go for two handed weapons or dual wielding? and what weapon type?

Is dual classing just plain better then multiclassing (in this scenario)? i ask this because i havent found any swashbuckler/mage or cleric multiclassing tips or guide

keep in mind that i most likely will use this char in BG2:EE, and the reason for the dual classing is that like using spells and magic, but i want to prioritize beeing a capable melee fighter (so if swashbuckler mage is bad att melee i rather player play a pure swashbuckler or swashbuckler/cleric if they are better in melee).

Comments

• ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    - If melee ability is your priority, I suggest staying a pure class. A swash / mage will be the most powerful (because it has arcane magic, 'nuff said) but the worst of the three in melee. The swash / cleric has great utility e.g. disarming all the traps of a dungeon under Sanctuary. The swash / cleric can generate a lot of damage per hit and your thac0 won't be bad, but your APR will suck and your weapon selection is extremely limited.

- If you don't dual you may as well choose a race other than human for the racial bonuses each confers. Most races offer something different worth considering for their stat changes, saving throw bonuses and thief skill bonuses.

- Dual wielding is standard, at least 1* in scimitar or short sword for BG2 for Belm/Kundane. Other than that pick your proficiencies around your party (e.g. if you take Valygar don't pick katanas).

- Both multis and duals have their pluses, but you won't find many guides with a multi-class kit because unless you use a save game editor or similar then you can't have multi-class kits (don't let that stop you, I do it all the time).
  • fruiteaterfruiteater Member Posts: 2
    ryuken87 said:

- If melee ability is your priority, I suggest staying a pure class. A swash / mage will be the most powerful (because it has arcane magic, 'nuff said) but the worst of the three in melee. The swash / cleric has great utility e.g. disarming all the traps of a dungeon under Sanctuary. The swash / cleric can generate a lot of damage per hit and your thac0 won't be bad, but your APR will suck and your weapon selection is extremely limited.

- If you don't dual you may as well choose a race other than human for the racial bonuses each confers. Most races offer something different worth considering for their stat changes, saving throw bonuses and thief skill bonuses.

- Dual wielding is standard, at least 1* in scimitar or short sword for BG2 for Belm/Kundane. Other than that pick your proficiencies around your party (e.g. if you take Valygar don't pick katanas).

- Both multis and duals have their pluses, but you won't find many guides with a multi-class kit because unless you use a save game editor or similar then you can't have multi-class kits (don't let that stop you, I do it all the time).

OK, sweet.

What weapons to use as a swashbuckler cleric, if i remeber right clerics cant use cutting weapons like swords and katanas.

also which one do you consider most fun? is arcane spells worth losing some melee capability (havent used higher levels spells yet)?
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited November 2013
    Swashbuckler->Mages are very similar to Thief->Mages in terms of playstyle and utility. If you've used Imoen in BG2 you pretty much know what to expect. The best dual is at level 10 for a balance of skills, HP and +2 THAC0/damage (which also apply to ranged weapons) and +3 AC bonuses. Arguably they're a bit better suited to melee, but they're not going to be powerhouses as they stop gaining +THAC0/damage bonuses and have limited APR.

I'm running a Swashbuckler through BG:EE now with the intention to dual to a mage early in BG2. My focus is on shortbows and daggers (for the new +Str damage bonus to thrown), and he's mostly going to be used as an arcane caster who is slightly more combat capable and has thief utility.
    Post edited by Corvino on
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    just roll a fighter/thief, its more or less the same as a swashbuckler. + you get more attacks and you get to backstab. unless ofc you want to dual it to mage.
    SB is a bad version of a vanilla fighter.
  • What weapons to use as a swashbuckler cleric, if i remeber right clerics cant use cutting weapons like swords and katanas.

Clubs and Quarterstaves are cleric-friendly weapons that can be used by thieves. Dual-wielding clubs might be your best bet for a Swash->Cleric. Once you're gaining cleric levels you'll be able to use any of the cleric weapons (plenty of good options there), though I don't know if you'll be able to specialize once you get your swashbuckler levels back.
    SilenceT2av
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited November 2013
    For Swashbucklers who dual to clerics and mages, Set Snares is a great side ability. If you have thief points left over, consider investing in this skill. Snares are very damaging and useful, and a great replacement for the missing Backstab ability which the Swashbuckler does not get.

You can, for instance, plant two or three Snares before a big battle (e.g. Greywolf in BG1, Dragon in BG2). When the battle starts, lure your opponent into the Snares for massive damage and other effects. This is also a great way to power level. You can place several Snares, rest, and place several more Snares. I think the max amount of Snares on a map is ~7; opening a battle with this many Snares sometimes kills an opponent instantly.
    Post edited by Silence on
  • jhneohjhneoh Member Posts: 42
    Swashbuckler > Cleric is an interesting class. It's not the most objectively powerful class, but it neatly solves your Thieving and Healing problems with just 1 character, allowing you immense flexibility with regards to choosing your other companions.