Skip to content

Rasaad 1.2?

Now that Rasaad is a sun soul monk, is he a little more effective than he was as a vanilla monk?

I'm considering picking him up at level 6. The 2 sun soul rays per day look pretty good, as does the 'greater sun' ability (at level 8).

Obviously he's still not a powerhouse, but can he at least hold his own now?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CyricistCyricist Member Posts: 61
    Personally, pre-patch I found Rasaad to be okay by the end of BGEE. He wasn't amazing, but he wasn't awful either. Haven't touched him since the patch, as I finished the playthrough I was using him in already... but I imagine he's even better now.

I'd suggest using him, if only for continuity's sake when you import into BG2EE, because in SoA and especially ToB, Rasaad is going to be a shiny golden god of destruction.
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    The changes are great. Sun soul ray is essentially a lesser version of fireball you can get at low level and flaming fists give you a reason to actually bother punching people. He won't be surpassing Dorn in terms of raw damage, but he's actually ok when first acquired and pretty decent at endgame.

In Baldur's Gate 2, he's going to really improve when he gains that huge list of monk abilities. I have a feeling ToB Rasaad will be scarier than any warrior except maybe Sarevok.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Bracers of defense seem to stack with monk AC now, which means he can get a pretty reasonable AC even if you don't kill Drizzt.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Yea, Rasaad is much more viable now after the patch.
  • mackosmackos Member Posts: 188
    karnor00 said:

Bracers of defense seem to stack with monk AC now, which means he can get a pretty reasonable AC even if you don't kill Drizzt.

they seem to stack or they do stack?? (i have steam version i can't test it myself)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Bracers of defense will stack with his AC.

Sun Soul Ray is currently broken. Technically its only supposed to hit one target. But while thats the case I've found it to be pretty effective, particularly against the undead.

So I would say its an improvement. The flaming fist ability doesn't really add much though.
    It adds 4k6 damage for one round, provided you have already 2 APR and you hit. Not bad but 2 rounds would improve this ability a lot. Unfortunately you can't reach 9th level in BG 1
    The Sun Soul Ray is currently awesome :-)
    I hope they don't fix it - it actually made Rasaad really useful in some fights. I like the way it is now.
    Rasaad is actualy the char with lowest AC in my current party, as I accidently killed Drizzt and gave Rasaad the +3 scimitar that gives AC bonus ^^
  • chaosapiantchaosapiant Member Posts: 32
    Rasaad is definitely better it seems. I gave him the Whispering Sword (+2 shortsword) since his abilities don't require you to switch to unarmed to use. His Sun Soul Ray destroys packs of undead, and with a Ring of -1 AC and the AC Bracers 8, he's currently rolling at -1 AC at level 5. Not the most effective, but he does damage quickly and doesn't go down quite like the sack of potatoes he did pre-patch. He's actually more durable than Imoen now. I'm a fan.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Sed said:

Rasaad is actualy the char with lowest AC in my current party, as I accidently killed Drizzt and gave Rasaad the +3 scimitar that gives AC bonus ^^

Yeah, I accidently layed a bunch of traps around Drizzt and now my swashbuckler is using his stuff.
    Mistakes happen for a reason ;)
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 876
    mackos said:

Unfortunately you can't reach 9th level in BG 1

You can if you remove the level cap...

mackos said:

Unfortunately you can't reach 9th level in BG 1

You can if you remove the level cap...
    Which involves modding...

Plus thats 225,000 XP. Unless you are playing in a smaller party whats going to be left by that point?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I find that you can reach that without much if any grinding, but basically all you have left is Sarevok and his lackies. (With a full party, that is). My Fighter/Thief dual managed to get just shy of 7/10 in BG1 without the XP cap.
    elminster said:

Um, yeah.
    elminster said:

Plus thats 225,000 XP. Unless you are playing in a smaller party whats going to be left by that point?

I've found 225,000 XP to be achievable, even with a 6-member party, with the cap off. Reaching the 161,000 cap happens ridiculously early IME.

elminster said:

Um, yeah.
    elminster said:

I've found 225,000 XP to be achievable, even with a 6-member party, with the cap off. Reaching the 161,000 cap happens ridiculously early IME.
    Its achievable but there won't be much left for you to fight by the time you get it.
    i think that he still lacks one thing to be decent fighter : critical hit immunity item (helmet).
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    mackos said:

karnor00 said:

they seem to stack or they do stack?? (i have steam version i can't test it myself)
    They are stacking now, its going to make monks in BG2 able to push -30 ac if they gear for it.

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I think it's fine that people mod; after all, it's their own game and it's up to them how they wish to enjoy it.

However I must admit it is incredibly annoying when people act like modding is expected or presumable when dealing with a gameplay discussion. It should be, "hey, IF you mod, then you can do this" but I see people left and right going "yeah so I do this," then the response "wait what, since when can you do that?" "oh yeah I use mods bro." WELL THANKS BUD THAT'S REAL HELPFUL TO THE DISCUSSION AT HAND.
    Quartz said:

I think it's fine that people mod; after all, it's their own game and it's up to them how they wish to enjoy it.

However I must admit it is incredibly annoying when people act like modding is expected or presumable when dealing with a gameplay discussion. It should be, "hey, IF you mod, then you can do this" but I see people left and right going "yeah so I do this," then the response "wait what, since when can you do that?" "oh yeah I use mods bro." WELL THANKS BUD THAT'S REAL HELPFUL TO THE DISCUSSION AT HAND.

Speaking for myself, the *only* 'mod' I use is inserting the level cap remover into the 'override' folder. Otherwise I don't use mods at all.

And I only mentioned it as a *way* to reach 225,000 in BGEE. I *never* meant to imply that it was 'expected' or 'presumed' at all. So I don't understand why you're so upset.

Since I was the *OP* for this thread, it seems strange for someone to get outraged that a one-sentence suggestion is responsible for 'derailing' the discussion.
    elminster said:

Its achievable but there won't be much left for you to fight by the time you get it.

Well, there's Sarevok, and perhaps Aec'Letec...

elminster said:

Well, there's Sarevok, and perhaps Aec'Letec...
    Aec'Letec will be immune to the fire damage.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2013
    I bet you Garrick still kicks Rasaad's ass.

(Which is saying something)

Speaking for myself, the *only* 'mod' I use is inserting the level cap remover into the 'override' folder. Otherwise I don't use mods at all.

And I only mentioned it as a *way* to reach 225,000 in BGEE. I *never* meant to imply that it was 'expected' or 'presumed' at all. So I don't understand why you're so upset.

Since I was the *OP* for this thread, it seems strange for someone to get outraged that a one-sentence suggestion is responsible for 'derailing' the discussion.

Calm yourself, you did it a little bit but not nearly as badly as so many others. I'm not angry with you. :)
    I've been using Sun Soul Rasaad for a few days now. I went through the Cloakwood Forest and the mines with him, as well as a few other areas (in a party of 5). He seems to be holding his own. He's only died once! (Which, admittedly, is more than any other member of my party, but still way better than the old Rasaad.)

The ability to use bracers and Sun Soul Ray are really helping…
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    To be fair, OP responded calmly enough that he doesn't need to be reminded to do so despite being impliedly called annoying even just for a "little bit". Just saying, no offense, I'm sure you meant well.

Just checked out this thread to see how Rasaad is now. I'm excited to see for myself how much he has improved. Still waiting for the iPad release...
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    i liked him in both. although i do miss stunning blow, but taking out packs of undead is sweeeeet

like "ky-ahh" *flash*

crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:crumble:
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Potions of defense do wonders for Rasaad's AC. They can get him down to around -10, which is pretty much as good as anyone else can manage.

The lack of helmet is an issue however, especially when combined with his 14 constitution. Those critical hits really hurt.