Skip to content

Classic Baldur's Gate experiences we all had

Comments

• etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349

etagloc said:

I was sadly disappointed with my first bg1 run. I didn't play much computer back then, and had just finished BG 2.
    I guess I just wanted to much from it, it just felt like half the game bg 2 was, no kits "boring npc's" 640x480 res. all was just....meh... not bad, but i wanted more.
    both were vanilla CD installs with no patches. or mods.

This is why you should play series in chronological order XD
    that is very true, but at the time I only played Quake, Counterstrike and Red alert.. not this RPG nonsense ;D
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    etagloc said:

etagloc said:

I was sadly disappointed with my first bg1 run. I didn't play much computer back then, and had just finished BG 2.
    I guess I just wanted to much from it, it just felt like half the game bg 2 was, no kits "boring npc's" 640x480 res. all was just....meh... not bad, but i wanted more.
    both were vanilla CD installs with no patches. or mods.

This is why you should play series in chronological order XD
    that is very true, but at the time I only played Quake, Counterstrike and Red alert.. not this RPG nonsense ;D
    I always had a soft spot for the first Quake, with its weird Lovecraftian vibe. It also had epic music. I didn't really like Quake 2 onwards, though. XD
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Great stuff here people!
  • NeurologicalNeurological Member Posts: 48
    Equipping the berserk cursed sword to Minsc without identifying it.

Notice after some battles that all my swords were broken.

Equipping spears to Jaheira because the portrait, without noticing the skill point on clubs.

Wondering what the hell thaco was.
  • lebrumlebrum Member Posts: 7
    Getting PWNED by Nimbul in Nashkel, the helmed horror in the cloakwood mines.
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    decado said:

This is why I love the 'Pause when Trap Detected' option.

Oh. So, there is such an option?

Nice portrait by the way.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    edited November 2013
    First encounter with Ilyich and his friends from Tactic mod. Or Irenicus in Hell from the same mod. I will never forget these moments.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    Mine was lost attempting to find a non-existent bandit camp after clearing every map twice.(didn't even think to read letters :D)
    Another was walking into the "negotiations between the Iron Throne and Emissary Tar" for the first time before speaking with Scar. Instant fun.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    onan said:

decado said:

This is why I love the 'Pause when Trap Detected' option.

Oh. So, there is such an option?

Nice portrait by the way.
    Sure is, it's in the feedback part of the options. There's lots of useful conditions you can pause on.

And thanks ;)
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    I had a fresh experience on my swashbuckler playthrough (the 2nd time I beat the game). I wasn't sure how the Strength tome interacted with the 18 Strength score vs. exceptional strength (I recall the 2nd edition Wish spell gives you an extra 10 points of exceptional Str each time you cast it, so one Wish would bring 18/27 up to 18/37). Imagine my joy when my flat unexceptional 18 went straight to 19. =D

In the vein of missed opportunities... when my dwarven fighter Reggie went through the Candlekeep catacombs, Imoen didn't have enough find traps/open locks to get the tomes out (my first game, I didn't know how to optimize a thief's skills), and I didn't know they were there, so I never acquired them. =0
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited November 2013
    The only person in my party who is ever allowed to set off traps is a thief with 100% in find traps. They walk ahead first, I misremember where a trap is by about a centimeter onscreen and all of a sudden we need to advertise for a new party thief.

So sad.
    Post edited by Corvino on
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    God, Firewine Bridge.
    Dreading going in there every playthrough. There's hardly any loot, it's filled to the nook with kobolds, the corridors are so small, all your characters will walk around in random directions after having to move 10 ft and then there's the occasional lightning trap that'll fry your entire party.

Fun!
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937

Speaking of traps. Having a lightning trap set off in the maze under that bridge near Gullykin. Everyone died except Imoen, who was the one that stepped on it after she didn't find it.

The one I always remember is the lightning trap in the Cloakwood Mines complex, right before a room swarming with guards and a spellcaster.

Of course, in places like Firewine it's tough to recall where the traps are because there are a lot more and the whole place is a maze, so... agreed.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    @LordRumfish
    The one I always remember is the lightning trap in the Cloakwood Mines complex, right before a room swarming with guards and a spellcaster.

Of course, in places like Firewine it's tough to recall where the traps are because there are a lot more and the whole place is a maze, so... agreed.I remember the locations of all traps from the Nashkel Mines, Ulcaster, Cloakwood Mines, Undercity Maze, Spider Forest, and even random scattered caves, but not Durlag's Tower. there are far too many in there. or in Firewine which is very maze-like.
    @sylvanus
    With that particular situation, I grabbed the idol, went outside, won against the doomsayer, and then found out that a treasure that gets guarded by a doomsayer was only worth 50 GP in certain stores, considering all the trouble you had to go through to get it and the fact that it is RARE.
  • SouldancertnSouldancertn Member Posts: 45
    GemHound said:

@LordRumfish

Of course, in places like Firewine it's tough to recall where the traps are because there are a lot more and the whole place is a maze, so... agreed.

I remember the locations of all traps from the Nashkel Mines, Ulcaster, Cloakwood Mines, Undercity Maze, Spider Forest, and even random scattered caves, but not Durlag's Tower. there are far too many in there. or in Firewine which is very maze-like.
    @sylvanus
    With that particular situation, I grabbed the idol, went outside, won against the doomsayer, and then found out that a treasure that gets guarded by a doomsayer was only worth 50 GP in certain stores, considering all the trouble you had to go through to get it and the fact that it is RARE.

As Indiana Jones would say, "That idol belongs in a museum."
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

GemHound said:

@LordRumfish

I remember the locations of all traps from the Nashkel Mines, Ulcaster, Cloakwood Mines, Undercity Maze, Spider Forest, and even random scattered caves, but not Durlag's Tower. there are far too many in there. or in Firewine which is very maze-like.
    @sylvanus
    As Indiana Jones would say, "That idol belongs in a museum."

You can turn it into a cursed vampiric long sword that heals the enemy :P
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    Insisting on playing BG1 solo and having that god damn wolf in the area right outside Candlekeep kill me about 85 times in one afternoon.