Skip to content

[1.2] Eldoth leaves party immediately after joining

This probably happened because of my high reputation (maxed out at 20), him being evil and all. However, it should take longer than a millisecond for him to grow weary of my goodie-goodie company. Otherwise, I imagine this is going to be very confusing for new BG players (who wouldn't know Eldoth's alignment ahead of time), since Eldoth simply out of the blue says a rude one-liner and leaves as soon as his joining dialogue closes.

By the way I tried looking at his script (ELDOTH.BCS), but couldn't find what triggers him leaving - is the reputation thing hard-coded or something?

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Yes, that is why Eldoth doesn't want to have anything to do with you. If you want him to stay you can edit happy.2da to take away any value in the neighborhood of -300.
  • prophet1prophet1 Member Posts: 172
    I don't mind him leaving, the issue is him leaving so quickily that it's confusing and immersion-breaking. There should be some kind of timer before the reputation thing triggers, but that's hard-coded - hence this thread.

An alternative way of working this out could be to alter the dialogue so he doesn't join if reputation > certain limit, but I think Overhaul are legally restricted from making changes to existing content in this way.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    edited November 2013
    I could notice that too with my REP20 party (with all evil chars btw - even Dorn will refuse to reenter^)!..
    ..Another trick i found to 'enjoy his lovely company a little', is simply to recruit VICONIA! Her instant -2 REP when in the party gives you immediately REP18 (20-2)..and that is enough to keep him in -even if he is not ultra happy..and make it well understood*)^- (as long as Viconia is in of course - but he will leave similarily, and with Skie too later!, if you remove again Viconia first later!).

.. personnaly, i found the 'Viconia trick' very handy to be able to temporarily recruit the evil dudes..if only to just be able to see their stats/quests if available..especially for that one! ;
    i could do all his Skie quest like that (and finish Dorn's one..thx to Viconia too^).. and even later, i just let Viconia in front of my 'BG lair' (Lucky Aello's discount store!; very nice stealing possibilities+safe left shelves to let gears apparently)) ).... with the similar temporary chars i could use sometimes in BG too (ex Alura lv6+ for the 'stealing in shops with no needed potions missions!'..and of course Eldoth/Skie + Viconia when not used)... when i need to go collect the 'ransoms' later (1000/weekx7?.not bad!)..i just 1. take Viconia 2. ask
    Eldoth/skie to reenter.. later i return there and 1. remove Eldoth/Skie 2. remove Viconia -but not the reverse..or Eldoth/skie will leave for good /REP20 again!^.. and voilà) ).. ;)

ps:
    if you put the Helmet of Opposite Alignment on Ajantis -not for eldoth though/bard^-, he becomes instantly chaotic evil..if you remove and reengage him immediately..he will similarily immediately quit the party (REP>18), due to his new alignment (to never be seen again -like Kagain btw, same!) !..
    ps2;
    i just did the test again with an old 2014 save-->in v1.2, recruiting him in front of Lucky Aello (with REP20 - without Viconia) .. he accepted(?!) and did not immediately quit (maybe because we already did a few ransom rounds-?)...though he left immediately (same) as soon as i tried to talk with him.. *) :)

ps3^: yes, i can see the problem with new players too..not knowing that the first time with him.. -\
  • abrahamabraham Member Posts: 7
    Where i can find Eltoth, after he left party ?
  • ItchyDani3lItchyDani3l Member Posts: 9
    NPCs leaving the party are based on scripts on a different level than the character scripts you are familiar with. It is based on his "happiness" regarding your party's decisions (reputation). My guess is that all evil characters share this script level, and would leave just as quickly.