Skip to content

Yet another thread about BGIII

Now that BGII:EE is almost upon us (coinciding with the PS4 US launch no less, take what you will of that decision) my thoughts are drawn to its sequel.
I've read that the game is going to be made from scratch and I don't understand why this is. If part of the game has already had many hours of development spent on it already why not continue where work left off? I can understand you guys at Beamdog/Overhaul or whomever want to add your own ideas and creativity to your game but can't this be added on top? The build and Aurora/Electron/Odyssey/Jefferson engines (yes I'm skimming Wikipedia while writing this) can be improved with what was learnt from the work done on the wonderful new Infinity engine and the cancelled project need not go to waste.
Or, better yet(!) complete III: The Black Hound and leave the original, new story for IV! OK, one can dream but I just can't see why anyone would be prepared to abandon work when you intend to revive a cancelled title. I can only presume there are legal and/or technical problems too big to overcome.
Please feel free to let me know how this was covered already months ago, I couldn't find that much on this forum personally though.

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited November 2013
    As far as I know, no appreciable work was ever actually done on Black Hound. I'm not sure if there's any more to build upon than the blurb about it on Wikipedia. It's not like there's a half-finished third Baldur's Gate title sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Plus, frankly, the pitch for Black Hound seemed stupid to me. Why make a Baldur's Gate title with no connection to either the city or the Bhaalspawn? Black Hound had zero connection to the first two games, and instead had some sort of weird cross-over into the Icewind Dale games. It should have just been called Icewind Dale III.

If Beamdog/Overhaul do indeed make a third Baldur's Gate game, I'd rather they actually make it a sequel on some level to the first two.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    My silly dream is that bg3 will be "baldurs gate 3: shadows of amn". SoA but your companions carry over from bg1 into irenicus' dungeon, including xan. That would be the true enhanced edition.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Are they even making a BG3? I didn't think Beamdog had the manpower to do a game on that scale.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The Black Hound, pah! Damn barking canines shouldn't be part of a great saga such as Baldur's Gate. Although...Hm, I wouldn't mind to see a Black Pudding starring as the main protagonist in BG3.