Skip to content

Edwin or Neera?

Hi,

So I have both these guys at the back of my squad but hey are taking the place of a Thief. I don't really need a thief and could actually get by without one I think but it would take a lot of reloads when tripping death traps, or constantly casting Find Trap which would do my head in.

I'm leaning more towards Edwin. Firstly because he has more spells to use and because he's evil. I also want him on my team in BG2 (depending on what characters they add to that mix).

Is Neeras storyline and wild magic worth her keeping? So far wild magic has negative effects pretty much everytime I use it, even with that ward. The storyline for me so far isn't that compelling, but maybe it will get better? You can throw a spoiler in if you like.

Cheers

Comments

• onanonan Member Posts: 223
    Neera's quest triggers and progresses relatively quickly, so you could possibly do that first. It's not that interesting (to me) though and does not have much in the way of reward.

Back to the original question of Edwin vs. Neera, I'd say Neera for about 4 seconds, until you get her gem bag (or better yet, she dies in the battle with Ekandor's chums and you just lift it off her colourful corpse) then that piece of awesome, clothed in red, called Edwin.
  • SpiffyMcBangSpiffyMcBang Member Posts: 160
    Neera's wild surges frequently raised her caster level for me, which boosted her spells pretty significantly. But they might also lower her caster level, so it's hard to say that's a boon.

I went through with her and it was fine, but in pure gaming terms Edwin is stronger. I just don't use him because he's a tool. Probably taking him for BG2, though.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    If you have done Edwin before, try neera out. She is pretty fun to have around.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I'd go with Edwin because I find Neera annoying. Especially her attitude after her quest. I'd hand her over to Edwin at that point if I could.
    (But Baeloth is 10x better than both of them :D)
  • RyshardRyshard Member Posts: 51
    Is her quest finished after you meet the wild mage in the goblin cave and kill thother other blokes or is there more to it?
    Ryshard said:

Is her quest finished after you meet the wild mage in the goblin cave and kill thother other blokes or is there more to it?
    Yes.

Yes that's it finished or yes theres more to it?
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    onan said:

Ryshard said:

Yes.

O.o, I just kicked her out after Adoy's enclave. I read about something in the BG city, but nothing that major... if it's anything like Rasaad in BG city, sad face.

Ryshard said:

Oops sorry, I did not see the second part of it. Yes, it is finished after that encounter in the cave.
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    onan said:

Ryshard said:

Oops sorry, I did not see the second part of it. Yes, it is finished after that encounter in the cave.
    Neat. Tyvm.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    edited November 2013
    I would keep Neera, at my level 1/2 party she cloudkills all the enemies to dust (most off the time, am I lucky :P )
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    It comes down to how worried you might be about Neera's wild surges - at low levels, one misfire can obliterate your entire party. Edwin's more reliable in the long run.

(Baeloth is actually better than either of them, but he won't be a party member in BG2:EE so that might be a factor in not taking him with you...)
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    both are good, obviously edwin is better, but with neera you'll get a scroll of stoneskin from her personal quest (and with the update a +1 bastard sword and +1 short bow)
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    Neera also is a romance.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    If you already have Neera's gem bag and finished her quest, all she can do is annoy you. So simple answer, take Edwin. And if you aren't overly attached to any thief you may take, switch out the thief for Alora in Baldur's Gate for extra banters between her and Edwin. Neera has no banters with anyone, aside from her quest.
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    Neera is basilisk fodder
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Using Chaos Shield and then Nahal's Reckless Dweomer to attempt to cast any spell Neera knows is a pretty interesting tactic that is rather powerful, when it works.
    @Eudaemonium I see you lurking and liking and agreeing certain pro-edwin posts. You are an impartial judge! Haha
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    @CoryNewb: Always! (As if these simians could ever muster the mental acuity capable of questioning my impartiality.)
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Rasaad's quest grants you a strength belt, Dorn's grants you elven chain mail, and Neera's gives you a stoneskin scroll I would say all are worth doing if you have any use for any of those items

Didn't want to ruin anything for anyone...

Xavioria said:

Rasaad's quest grants you a strength belt, Dorn's grants you elven chain mail, poison immunity/dispel invisibility bastard sword and Neera's gives you a stoneskin scroll I would say all are worth doing if you have any use for any of those items

Didn't want to ruin anything for anyone...

That said, you can also get the scroll in Shandalar's maze. The loot from Dorn's and Rasaad's quest is unique and vastly more useful than the loot from Neera's. (Also fixed the spoiler.)

@CoryNewb: Always! (As if these simians could ever muster the mental acuity capable of questioning my impartiality.)

How very Edwin of you! Well played!
    @Eudaemonium: Wh͝o i͢s ͢a fine f̸a͞m҉i҉lia͞r̵? ̡YO͢U ͟ARE̛ A ̴F̨I̕N͟É ̢F҉AMIL͢IAR!͡
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited November 2013
    Neera's quest ends quickly with Adoy's Enclave. There's one more banter in Baldur's Gate (the city) where Neera meets an old "friend" of her which ... well ... MAYBE it was meant to be funny, but I found her even more childish and annoying afterwards.

Needless to say, that I played thru the game with Neera only once. All the other play-throughs, I did her quest (sometimes not even that) and dumped her like a 12y old girl. Even Rasaad's quest and personality are less nerving.

So - all for Eudaem...err...Edwin!

P.S. : actually, when you have Edwin in your group while doing Neera's quest, he talks to the Red Wizards of Thay.
    Southpaw said:

dumped her like a 12y old girl.

I don't think I want to know where that simile originates from lol.

Anyways, Neera is now gone and Tiax is in. Was gutted to find out that he couldn't the bows and arrows I'd been saving up for him but his additional spells make up for it.

Cheers guys

I must not have met her friend in Baldurs Gate yet. I just got un-poisoned in my evil play through. I'll keep an eye out!
    edited November 2013
    Ryshard said:

Southpaw said:

Anyways, Neera is now gone and Tiax is in. Was gutted to find out that he couldn't the bows and arrows I'd been saving up for him but his additional spells make up for it.

Cheers guys

Give him Staff of Striking or the +3 staff from Ulgoth's Beard, then let him backstab. I was surprised he even survived werewolf island, meleeing around.

• LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    edited November 2013

Ryshard said:

Southpaw said:

Cheers guys

Give him Staff of Striking or the +3 staff from Ulgoth's Beard, then let him backstab. I was surprised he even survived werewolf island, meleeing around.

Actually, Tiax was my tertiary tank in my jester's playthrough (Minsc was first, Veraka my jester was second, and Tiax was the rearguard who sometimes stepped up to the front). He has decent HP, so if you give him the ankheg plate and kiel's buckler and an item of protection he gets downright respectable at taking hits (obviously he won't be sneak attacking in this getup).

EDIT: Oh, to be on topic... Neera, because you can't kiss Edwin. =D
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Does the neera romance go any farther than her saying "no just yet"? She says this no matter what you say, then It seems like you don't here anything from her after the banding camp.

EDIT: Oh, to be on topic... Neera, because you can't kiss Edwin. =D

Y͞o͝ư kn҉ów͏ not͟hi҉n͘g, ̛Jo͢n̡ ́Sn͘ơw̕.