Skip to content

iPod?

nechrist_plnechrist_pl Member Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in iPad (Archive)
Hi!

I know that iPad version is going to be released, but what about an iPod version? iPod 4G is pretty powerful, and it would be great to get it out of pocket and get some BG experience. Is there any possibility for and iPod release?

Regards
Wolfheart

Comments

• WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    O.o 3,5 inch display,,, How would,,, Awesome idea! But very impractical me think ^^* Just think of how tiny everything would need to be to fit :)
    Zeltordarrenkuo
  • nechrist_plnechrist_pl Member Posts: 3
    zoom in zoom out - standard ipod procedure ;)
    why make it iPad exclusive? universal app is better!
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    So what you're really asking for is a smart phone version. Based on some tweets from Trent Oster today, if it does happen, it won't be for a long while.

"TrentOster: We're targeting Android and iPad tablets. Smartphones might be quite tough, due to the small screen sizes and #bgee 's UI-centric design."

"TrentOster: It will work on 7" mini-tablets, but even our new UI buttons start to get pretty small. On a smartphone, the buttons would be very tiny"

So my question to you is, would you settle for an iPad Mini instead? haha.
  • ErrandwolfeErrandwolfe Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, thers no real reason if this runs on a 1st gen ipad that it couldnt be run on iPod touch/iphones...but with the scale of the UI and graphics...would you really want to?

They could make it universal...then add a UI update for small screens in a future update if sales warrant the extra development time. But since they plan on selling the iOS app w an in-app purchase framework @ $10.00 no one that paid that for a ipod touch would be very happy when they find out the UI is nearly unplayable.
  • nechrist_plnechrist_pl Member Posts: 3
    yes, I would really want to.
  • ZandriZandri Member Posts: 33
    Technically possible I guess, but the UI would take up most of the screen to keep touch targets large enough to maintain good touch accuracy, so you wouldn't see much of the world in the remaining portion of the screen!

I guess the UI could autohide, but not sure if that would work well from a game mechanics point & useability point of view.

Doesn't sound like a fun experience to me.
  • killykilly Member Posts: 18
    However a ton of people were apparently running bg on small screens with android and jailbroken idevices through gemrb and they seem to not mind the scaled down experience.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    (as has been indicated) we have a new UI in the pipe that should work better for this, but as it stands the game experience is simply not optimal on smaller formfactor devices at the moment.

The possibility exists in the future that we might be able to make this work, but it would require some tricksy design considerations and this would be a project for the future, based on how successful we are with the current project. I'd like to point towards, for example, the amount of time it took for something even more simple like Plants vs. Zombies to make the transition from iPad to iPhone due to design considerations on their part.

I mean... is this: really what you want to deal with? Look how big the guy's hands are in relation to the phone. Watch how long it takes him to move his mouse cursor and do simple tasks. It'd drive me nuts!
    RereldarrenkuoAnton
  • RerelRerel Member Posts: 86
    @Nathan haha thanks for the video :). It makes me think about the gameplay on the iPad also, i hope they're will be videos on the iPad for ehanced edition too !
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    As we get the media together and approved, we'll show it..! :)
    AntonRerel
  • ZandriZandri Member Posts: 33
    yes, very tiny touch targets on the UI.. although if you bough a slab-phone like Galaxy note you'd probably be alright :)
    darrenkuo
  • viniciusgativiniciusgati Member Posts: 4
    the game on ipads/tablets in general will be played like this video? with a cursor? if so... i changed my mind :(
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602

the game on ipads/tablets in general will be played like this video? with a cursor? if so... i changed my mind :(

Of course not.
    The video is made by someone using GemBR, a "mod" made by amateurs, not Overhaul/Beamdog.
  • viniciusgativiniciusgati Member Posts: 4
    Ah ok :D now im happy again