Skip to content

swashbuckler → mage

velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
edited November 2013 in Challenges and Playthroughs
When do you think is the best moment for the dualing swashbuckler to mage. Provided the installed mods are Rogue Rebalancing and the part of BG2 Tweak Pack Delay High Level Abilities (it means that HLAs start at level 20, not when you reach 3 milions exp.)
The most rational moment seems to be level 20 (+ 4 to AC, THACO 1 with meele weapons, another proficiency point, one HLA (probably UAI)). But it also means that I will have to gain another 4125000 exp. to reach level 21 with mage and regain all lost abilities. It will be near the end of the game but probably in time to have active swashbuckler 20/mage 21 for fights with Abazigal and Melissan´s party, the only really hard fights.
Post edited by velehal on

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I'd do it at Level 10.
  • ShadowTigerShadowTiger Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2013
    You might be better off with a blade, a kensai->mage, or a fighter/mage. I don't really see any point in playing half the game as an underleveled mage who has slightly more hitpoints but no other bonuses. That is assuming you don't get the AC or UAI bonus until level 21.

10 seems like as good a time as any.
  • jhneohjhneoh Member Posts: 42
    Level 11 gets you another +1 AC though.

Level 1: +1 AC
    Level 5: +1 hit/dmg
    Level 6: +1 AC
    Level 10: +1 hit/dmg
    Level 11: +1 AC
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    jhneoh said:

Level 11 gets you another +1 AC though.

Level 1: +1 AC
    Level 5: +1 hit/dmg
    Level 6: +1 AC
    Level 10: +1 hit/dmg
    Level 11: +1 AC

Rogue Rebalancing changes the kit. The swashbuckler doesn´t get any THACO/damage bonus but uses fighter´s THACO progression if he uses melee weapons.

Overall dualing at level 10 seems to be more resonable.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2013
    No you get the third -1 AC at level 10, second at level 5.

So theres no point in taking more than 10 swashbuckler levels.

Theres no point in dual classing as late as level 20, you'll never get to use any of the benefits the dual class provides, and your first 20 levels are going to be locked out for the vast majority of the game. The maximum level you should dual class at is 13 as a fighter, and even that takes absolutely ages to get your levels back.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Wait to do so till Lvl16, 17 if yo have Rouge rebalancing mod.
    Just hear me, I ran more Swashies than any other class, they AMAZE me, like Blades.
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    edited February 2014
    I actually just started a Swashy today with the intention of dualing him to Mage at level 10. I generally like running 4-5 person parties in SoA so it's a bit easier to earn those levels back and regain your thief skills. With this setup you're basically a F/M/T already so you can fill a lot of roles in the party. Plus you can pretend you're Saemon's evil/good twin.

The only problem is weapon proficiencies. Swashbucklers are great because of their ability to specialize but they still only get 4 points by level 10. Deciding where to put them is a chore. I usually go:

** two weapon
    * katana (for dakkons/celestial, haven't decided yet)
    * scimitar (belm)
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    You get mage pips at 12 and 18 which you can put in the swashy profs