Skip to content

Greater werewolf on ship?

All weapons innefective 10 magic missiles still uninjured?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,344
    edited November 2013
    Magic mostly works, but they regenerate very quickly so you need to keep sustained damage on them. As for weapons there aren't that many choices; the sword of Balduran works, as well as the +3 vs shapeshifters bastard sword.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Basically, it is supposed to be a tough battle. The weapon needs to have the designation 'Silver' in order to damage the beast. And he regenerates quite considerably, so....

You should have found a dagger prior to that encounter that will damage it. Also, they wouldn't give you an encounter and not have the solution somewhere close at hand. You just have to find it. Have your fighters keep the beast busy and look around.

There is another weapon that you could have bought prior to going to the island, but if you don't have that yet, you have to rely upon the dagger and the other weapon.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I don't think I've had a play through where I've not held onto that +3 vs shapeshifters sword.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    edited November 2013
    *SPOILERS*

All weapons are ineffective except for Kondar (The Bastard Sword +1, +3 vs. Shapeshifters) which is found in baldur's gate from Aldeth Sashenstar's quest (trading coster questline) I believe, the +1 Flametoung longsword from Durlags Tower, the Silver Dagger, found on the level just below Karoug (the greater wolfwere), and the Sword of Balduran which is in a chest in the room behind him.

Good tactics are to hold him at bay with your tanks (with said weapons equipped) and nuke the crap out of him with wands of frost/wands of the heavens. If none of your tanks are proficient in longsword, bastard swords, or dagger or you don't have any of those weapons it takes a little more wand useage. I believe Dorn's poison weapon ability will still function on him, the poison will damage him even though the weapon will not. If he is consistantly saving against your spells fire a doom or malison his way.

Edit: If you don't have any wands or any mage's I'm pretty sure you can cast a quantum f-ton of Glyphs of Warding on the ground on the level below his and then lure him into them. They will persist so you can cast as many as you can then sleep and repeat the process til you have enough to take him out.
  • tenkakahntenkakahn Member Posts: 110
    I killed everything this game lol damn time to restart an get those weapons I tried to pull him into a corner and open the chest after wand of paralyze him lol it wouldn't let me loot the chest because of being in combat?

The adds are very easy but when you can't kill the guy an he just sits there paralyzed is odd!
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    You couldn't open the chest because you were in combat? That would be a nice feature, but not one that's currently present in this game. ^^ I'm fairly certain the chest is locked, so try again.

Use the dagger you find on the island along with the sword in the room. Equip them to your strongest melee fighter and buff him beyond his wildest dreams. The fight should be a cakewalk after that.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    You can also build your own backstabber if you don't have a good thief. Imoen with potions of invisibility and strength can do the trick.

Despite his massive regen, Karoug only has about 66 hp if memory serves. A couple quick crit/back stabs is all you need.
    I'm trying right now I can't pick the lock while I'm fighting
    Got it had to run out the room rest and go back in
    Lol now I got a baby and everyone's dead haha
    Madhax said:

You can also build your own backstabber if you don't have a good thief. Imoen with potions of invisibility and strength can do the trick.

Despite his massive regen, Karoug only has about 66 hp if memory serves. A couple quick crit/back stabs is all you need.

The problem is with the 'couple of quick crit/backstabs'.

But it is interesting to note that there are several NPCs that are proficient in Dagger. Unless I miss my guess, Jaheira and Shar-Teel are both proficient and good front liners. I want to say that Montaron also has proficiency (or should do considering). That's a decent number of people whom the player might potentially have available to use the dagger. It's actually the Sword of Balduran that has lesser chance of having someone proficient in.

PS: I "Think" that wand of paralysis works on Karoug, which should buy the player time to find the sword. Ya just got to get it and throw it to someone who can use it, presumably identifying it on the way.

How do I get off the island everything's dead
    There's a secret exit in the village somewhere. Also, I bet not everything is dead.
    Both maps completly cleared but stuff does respawn
    Yeah, you missed something back in the village.
    Ohhh in one of the houses I see
    Is there more than one tunnel on the other side i couldn't do anything I killed the chief of the village a while ago
    She tried to run away but I paralyze her and killed her did that bug my game?
    Got it had to sleep on the ship she respawned
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    You and I play this game very differently, lol

I play evil kill everything go to the next map kill everything as an evil overlord should
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Murder murder murder. This boss was also tough for me due to the regen. Glad you made it out.
  • Bhaal will respawn if you murder everything in game. Just to say "Thank you my son"
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Zanian said:

You couldn't open the chest because you were in combat? That would be a nice feature, but not one that's currently present in this game. ^^ I'm fairly certain the chest is locked, so try again.

Use the dagger you find on the island along with the sword in the room. Equip them to your strongest melee fighter and buff him beyond his wildest dreams. The fight should be a cakewalk after that.

That would be a -terrible- feature. A CRPG already lacks enough of the complexity of a PnP game, so the inability to open containers during a fight would be yet another nail in the coffin.
    tenkakahn said:

I play evil kill everything go to the next map kill everything as an evil overlord should

If you kill em, they won't learn nuthin.

Besides, if everyone is dead, who is going to do your bidding and worship you?

Just saying, there's a difference between playing a murderous psychopath and playing Evil. The former is probably the latter, but the latter isn't necessarily the former.

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited November 2013
    I absolutely hate that island and that Greater Wolfwere. It gives a noobie no chance cos I had assumed I had seen the last of the dopplegangers, and had no characters with Bastard Sword proficiency, so I didn't keep any of the weapons that could hurt him. Of course I also had no idea that there were weapons on the ship that I needed, cos u know, normally you do the looting AFTER the battle, and not during it.

That was the one battle in BG EE where I just couldn't figure it out until I checked a guide.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I was fortunate enough the last time I decided to tackle that island and the Wolfwere I had managed to accumulate some of the weapons necessary to harm him.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    tenkakahn said:

This makes you the evil overlord of... Dirt? Grass? Killing EVERYONE doesn't work because the dead refuse to pay taxes, trust me, I know.

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    While I'm not a fan of the encounter's design, I actually managed to beat Karoug on my first TotSC run without metaknowledge of the weapons needed. All I knew going in was that he had an absurd regeneration rate. I assumed my weapons simply weren't of high enough level to hit him when they weren't effective, and while swapping my weapons about to find a weakness I realized that the Burning Earth longsword from Durlag's Tower worked. From there, I simply quaffed an invisibility potion with my F/T PC and backstabbed him while flamestriking.