Skip to content

With friends or solo?

Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 379
I've got at least one friend on PC that is definitely getting this with me. Supposedly two others are, one of which will be playing from his iPad. We're looking at a half-elven thief/mage (me), cleric (friend who is definitely getting the game), half-orc barbarian and an elven fighter/mage (the other two who might get it). I've got at least two other friends who may get the game but due to inconsistency in being able to play will not be building characters. We have not decided who will be playing the protagonist but it will likely be me.

I also intend to do three play-throughs to try out the new romances.

What is everyone else doing?

Comments

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I will do a Let's Play series on Youtube with my most esteemed gaming partner @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud, so it's gonna be a multiplayer session. Presumably her being mage/thief, me being the cheesiest possible kit (to see if things are off balance), Xzar and the three new characters (that can be debatable though, but as long as we keep Xzar in our midst, I think Kitteh_On_A_Cloud is happy XD )

Possibly going to do a parallel single player run, but that I will see when the time is right :)
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Baldur's Gate is a really tough game to do multiplayer if not everyone has already beaten it a few times single-player, heh. Unless you really want to spend all that time waiting for everyone to read through the dialogue.

That being said, chapters 1-5 of BG 1 and chapters 2-3 of BG2 aren't bad for multiplayer at all. But if you really want to experience IE games multiplayer style, IWD is my first choice.
  • DecayOfSoulsDecayOfSouls Member Posts: 21
    I have a friend that is interested in the game. He got pretty far in the game using Tutu before his harddrive crashed. Hopefully I will be able to persuade him to get this when it comes out and we can start an adventure together.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Going to play it all solo, like always. Even though I've done it many times before I always go slowly through each playthrough, listening to all conversations, exploring all maps etc. Doesn't work so well with multiplayer for me. Not sure how I will include the new characters yet, probably run with each of them for awhile and see how it feels, while attempting to keep the romance-eligible one in for longer.
  • WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    Solo *Woff's*, I don't want strange people messing up my destiny... Sides, there's enough of a party in my head to manage to confuse myself without bringing in even more people for the partay :P
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    you can spend 20 hours having fun and beat the game solo, or you can spend 80 hours re-explaining dumb shit to your team mates in hopes that someday you will escape candlekeep.
    I love my friends and will play a save with them, but I have to also have a solo save so I dont kill myself ^^
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232

you can spend 20 hours having fun and beat the game solo, or you can spend 80 hours re-explaining dumb shit to your team mates in hopes that someday you will escape candlekeep.
    I love my friends and will play a save with them, but I have to also have a solo save so I dont kill myself ^^

Agreed, I like the idea of multiplayer, but it never seems to work out as expected. One of the reasons I dislike MMOs
  • DecayOfSoulsDecayOfSouls Member Posts: 21
    Actually now that I think of it, I'll probably do both a single player game and a multi game for when my posse is available. That way I can still get to the new content as soon as possible.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I guess it depends from people to people then. Although my current MP run is going formidably easily and fast actually. And it's much more fun too!
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Cheesebelly: Yup, we're team Awesome! :D *hugs*
  • KageDeltaKageDelta Member Posts: 14
    I used to throw weekly LAN parties. I once tried a six person game. Each controlling just one character. They all got bored though. I think the game is best enjoyed with just one other person. A 3/3 split with the characters. That's my opinion though.
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    Evil party with friends. Good party solo.
  • eainterplayeainterplay Member Posts: 55
    Solo, because the NPCs are the best part of the game and multiplayer takes party slots away from them.
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    Got a team of 5 buddies lined up already, although one is on android so we may have to wait on him!
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    I actually have no friends who have played or are planning on playing Baldur's Gate. So, if anyone is looking for an additional party member, I would love to join! Please send me a message.
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    I would love to play multiplayer, but all of my friends (I'm in high school) prefer games like CoD or Battlefield. If I could find a group of people on here, I would definitely play with them.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    I wonder if some might find a thread useful for creating parties prior to the launch on 9/18. Does one exist out there? I haven't heard much about the new multiplayer matchmaking in the actual game.
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    I really hope the online multiplayer is easy to deal with. It would definately boost the Role-Playing aspect of the series
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    edited August 2012
    Single-player.
    Post edited by purebredcorn on
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Planning on doing a multiplayer run with some friends over Skype. They've never played BG before, so it'll either be very fun, or horrible.

• wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    I am going to try this with friends since they are fixing multiplayer, because before it was a mess, and I liked playing solo. It seems this time I will have 5 other friends to player other characters thus it should be interesting.
  • gmazcagmazca Member Posts: 60
    My friend and I usually play Baldur's Gate 2 multiplayer once a year so we're definitely jumping into multiplayer for BGEE. I will likely go Berserker/Druid, not sure about him though. Neither of us have finished Baldur's Gate 1 so we're likely to take it pretty slow lol. At least we'll be in the same room most of the time though...I think that's pretty necessary for multiplayer, especially with all the pausing going on lol.
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 481
    I might do multiplayer with my brothers. I'll have to wait and see what they do with the revamp engine
  • Papy_SilkPapy_Silk Member Posts: 44
    I will multiplay and solo both. I used to play multiplayer often these 10 last years, especially Icewind Dale 2. I hope they will be new multiplayer option so that it is easier to play in multi ! (like dialogs being better flaged "lore" and "important" for the pass options)
  • MaranMaran Member Posts: 42
    I am buying it, hands down. I started playing back in 2003, and have loved these games since.
    I am gonna try to get my friend...whom I shall name Trollasaurus for now...to buy it. As with my other 2 friends Nimrod and Minion...again names kept silent. We are actually planning on LAN via GameRanger of the original games in the next week or so.

My concern is how will the mod community be able to function, like G3?
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    Solo, given that I generally have only a couple of hours of playtime a week.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I reckon I'll have a solo game and then something a bit different for multiplayer with a mate of mine. Might go mage/priest and just buff & heal the heck out of everything that moves in the MP game.
  • GotNoUsernameGotNoUsername Member Posts: 49
    Recruited 3 people so we we are 3 and yes I have fear that we will be dead very very quick ;-)
  • seekaseeka Member Posts: 53
    Both. But probably more solo than MP as I'm really not the most elite of players. I tend to get distracted easily which can lead to accidently shooting the magic missle at the husband instead of the baddie.
  • drakerddrakerd Member Posts: 23
    I have played BG with my friends before and it's fun but my problem is that I am a pokey butt player. I like to explore EVERY little thing and talk to every person I can find. My friends are more of the "run and gun" kind of players sooo our play styles don't mix too much in these sort of games. I will most likely play the crap out of this game in single player and sprinkle in some multi player action.