Skip to content

Where's my BG:EE character portrait?

I used one of the base portraits from BG:EE, the one of the elf with lots of purple. I figured those portraits would all exist in BG2:EE, but they don't. Is there a way to retrieve the one from BG:EE?

I know lots of people use custom portraits, but the only one I've seen that I really liked was in a screenshot and I don't know how to get my hands on it. If anyone has a good female archer portrait, that's what I'm going for. Just as long as she's pretty well-clothed; my characters are nothing if not pragmatic.

Comments

• rorikonrorikon Member Posts: 105
    I've noticed the same thing, except I'm missing one of the new voicesets on my imported character. Why on earth aren't the BG1EE portraits and voices included in BG2EE?
  • ShadowTigerShadowTiger Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2013
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\lang\en_US\sounds

Is where my sounds are. I couldn't find the original portraits anywhere.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/378emxwjpa687ap/FELRA06L.bmp
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ow242y5ghpfn7h/FHURA04L.bmp

These go in C:\Users\*Username*\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Portraits
  • rorikonrorikon Member Posts: 105
    Yeah, I managed to get the sounds working, but had to rename them to stop them overwriting an existing soundset. It doesn't have selection text anymore though, which I concede isn't exactly a major issue, but it's annoying when every npc has selection text but the protagonist doesn't. Still doesn't solve the portrait issue though, and I'm still baffled as to how the new BG1EE sounds/portraits weren't included already...
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    edited November 2013
    I can't use my character portrait either; I moved the Portraits folder over to the II directory but it doesn't show up as an option once the game starts. WTF. How could QA have missed that characters imported don't get their sounds or their character portraits? That's kind of a pretty damn fundamental part of importing a character.

ADDENDUM: Quitting and restarting the game fixed the portrait (not the voice, though) and made the "custom" button appear, which is better, but it's still pretty bad that this slipped through in the first place.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I've had no trouble transferring portraits from the first game to the second and have even overridden some of the NPC portraits, the latter even seems to work without having to restart the entire game now. As for the purple elf, I'm not sure which portrait that would be exactly.
  • RhombusArkadiaRhombusArkadia Member Posts: 1
    Yeah the missing voice sets is a pretty big fail. I can't imagine why they wouldn't include both the BG base and the EE new ones with 2.
  • DirkyDuDirkyDu Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2013

I've had no trouble transferring portraits from the first game to the second and have even overridden some of the NPC portraits, the latter even seems to work without having to restart the entire game now. As for the purple elf, I'm not sure which portrait that would be exactly.

What method are you using to override NPC portraits? I've got the same names in the same folders I had them in for BGEE and no luck overriding existing NPC portraits in BG2EE.

EDIT: Nevermind. I hadn't realized the names for overriding NPC's in BG2 were different than BG1. Basically use the same name but with an "N" in front of it. EX: ImoenM.bmp --> NImoenM.bmp
    Thanks
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Baffling....that's all I can say. Very strange decision to not have consistency between BGEE and BG2EE.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited November 2013
    DirkyDu said:

EDIT: Nevermind. I hadn't realized the names for overriding NPC's in BG2 were different than BG1. Basically use the same name but with an "N" in front of it. EX: ImoenM.bmp --> NImoenM.bmp
    Thanks

Mostly yes, though Viconia is different; NVICONx. http://portraits.chosenofmystra.net/npc_portrait_change.html still has the full list.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    edited November 2013

Yeah the missing voice sets is a pretty big fail. I can't imagine why they wouldn't include both the BG base and the EE new ones with 2.

BG2 voicesets have lot more barks for different situations so you can't just copy BG1 sounds to BG2.

Edit: If you are talking about the voicesets Overhaul made for BG1 themselfs, yea that makes no sense. They should have made them BG2 ready to begin with.
  • SpiffyMcBangSpiffyMcBang Member Posts: 160
    Messi said:

Edit: If you are talking about the voicesets Overhaul made for BG1 themselfs, yea that makes no sense. They should have made them BG2 ready to begin with.

I chose my old character's voice from BG2, so I didn't worry as much about that, but in BG1 my archer had voice set 5, which was new. That didn't get included. So, agreed, those should have been BG2 ready, especially considering that's Neera's voice.
  • zyxst2zyxst2 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you!

I tried using the method that works in the original games to transfer portraits - creating a portrait folder and dumping what I wanted in there - but that doesn't work. I'm wanting to use the first portrait linked (elf female in blue hood). I created a new portrait folder and put it in there (it's unaltered; does it need changed in size?). It doesn't show up as an option at all.

If someone who's been successful with portrait transferring could explain it for my noob brain, I'd appreciate it.