Skip to content

Overhaul should acquire Pool of Radiance?

wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
This might be the easiest game to get licenses for as the game sold terribly and it was had a pretty bad battle system. Overhaul could easily remake this game into a good game, because the main thing that was wrong was the battle system. Also this opens up the Myth Drannor dungeon without having to write a new game. I know how hard it was to get a hold of the BG series, thus I can see getting a hold of the IWD series and Plancescape Torment, so it might be better to make a bad game sell like a good one. Personally this would be a more creative test to Overhauls skill that cleaning up games that hold their hands with license agreements. Ubisoft probably would have no objection to giving up a title that did so poorly.

As many have mentioned, many games have been made about Myth Drannor, but I don't remember too many good games.
RAM021

Comments

• wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    Only with Legend of Grimrock have I liked the first person RPG dungeon crawl, but I would never pick this over isometric style. Though this style is interesting now that graphics have caught up with the idea, previously it was too fugly for me to play through walls and monsters that looked like blocks.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    PoR2? Please someone do that game justice. That was the biggest let down at that time.
    bg003
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    I would love to see a ruins of myth drannor remake / clean up
    bg003ProphetPX
    I could accept Legend of Grimrock style, especially now with half decent video cards, but I don't think this team has them much experience with first person view.
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    Hmmm Eye of the Beholder anyone?
    AurenRavidelegalor_originalDarksheerProphetPX
  • Jedi_GnomeJedi_Gnome Member Posts: 92
    LadyRhian said:

I'd love to see them re-do the entire Gold Box Pool of Radiance series, but with BG-style graphics.

I could go for that!
    bg003The_New_RomanceProphetPX
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Just make Unlimited Adventures... Retraux is pretty happenin these days. Look at Megaman for instance, 8bit style seems to be big nostalgia sales.
    ProphetPX
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    LadyRhian said:

I'd love to see them re-do the entire Gold Box Pool of Radiance series, but with BG-style graphics.My personal favorite would be Secret of the SIlver Blades. I played that game to DEATH. I had so much treasure and magic items that I actually filled up the vault in town and had to sell some of it off! Good times.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. :)
    ProphetPX
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    I'd prefer seeing the old gold box games remade as well. The original Pool of Radiance was fantastic.
    Jolanthusbg003Oxford_GuyProphetPX
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I couldn't get the SSI Gold Box-games running on my PC (i'm not DOS(box)-savvy enough). I'm long hoping for GOG to make it playable, but a complete overhaul by Overhaul would be even greater!
    Oxford_GuyProphetPX
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Pool of radience: myth drannor is the only argument needed why turn based combat doesn't work in these rpgs.
    At least 9/10ths of me playing that game must have been waiting for hordes of undead to lurch up to my party and miss one by one.
    FrozenCells
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Jolanthus @Jedi_Gnome I still remember the Troll fight in the Phlan Slums. If you dropped one of the Trolls and moved into their space, the regeneration would shift to your own characters... And the sounds monsters would make when they died... Though I have to admit, the AI was not the best. I think my favorite fight in that series was the one with the Thorne, on the other plane that was like, Dragon Central.

I also got to play the Dark Queen of Krynn game when it was released for the Macintosh. That was kind of fun, too, although having to fight Dragons without a Dragonlance at the beginning was... tedious.
    ProphetPX
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    Yes please and consider a curze of the azure bonds too.
    bg003ProphetPX
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    @LadyRhian I remember the fights with the bits of Moander while wandering all over his corpse in the Astral Sea. I think I ended up 'swapping out' a few characters to bring in more clerics with blade barrier spells to turn them into mulch.

And another fight against a group of Zhents (I think It was them I was fighting at the time) Where they all lined up perfectly for me to throw a lightning bolt down the row stopping just before the my elf character whom would have died if it hit him... I lost too many characters whom managed to get clipped by the outer edge of a miscalculated spell.

Everyone... Be grateful your non human no longer stops gaining levels after 12\14th?
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Id pay a decent price to see an infinity engine version of the original Gold Box Pool of Radiance ....jeez remake all the Gold Box games :) then again thanks to GoG I have probably got more RPG's than Ill ever have time to play in this life time.
    bg003
    @Jolanthus The fight against the Bit of Moander in Curse of the Azure Bonds was worse. Triple-strength Shambling Mound? Do NOT Want! And I think I was 7th or 8th level for that fight...
  • brixbrix Member Posts: 43
    I'd love to replay a modern interpretation of the old gold box games. The basic stories were all great. But imo an overhaul in the sense of just improving the graphics would not be the right way. These games are unplayable with today's standards, even for hardcore fans like me.
    Dialogs have to be expanded and other adventure seeds have to explored.
    Take a looks at Schlegel's Pool of Radiance Remastered module for NWN2. Which is imo a very good interpretation of the classic adventure. And even that module could be expanded into a 20th level campaign.
    bg003ProphetPX
    Yeah, I now I think about it, a remake of the Gold Box games might be too much. I would also like to see the Pool of Radiance from 2000 remade.
    bg003ProphetPX
  • I'm with wariisop on this one. I saw potential in the 2000 PoR. Its just too bad it was released the way it was. I always hoped a more playable and stable reissue of that game would happen. Seems like it became the laughing-stock of D & D based video games.
    Getting a decent dialog for a remake of the Gold Box games wouldnt be that hard, a writer and the reference materials the Dungeon Campaign Modules from the Pen and Paper days and the Novles would allow for some decent story fleshing out of... :D
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I'm still angry at the guys who made the last Pool of Radiance game. I wanted to like it, but it was so friggin bad, one can hardly put it down in words.

BG-styled remakes of the Gold Box games, though... aw yeah. I never played the originals, I'm not a graphics whore, but they sure are outdated (I mean some of them are older than me...)
    ProphetPX
    So... does anyone else even remember Unlimited Adventures? The program that let you MAKE Goldbox style quests.

I must be alone :(
    ProphetPX
    I dimly recall it, never interested me, never wanted to make my own :D
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    Pools of Radiance? Really? I bought the game a long time ago thinking that the backside of the case meant it would be like Baldur's Gate. Boy was I wrong. Second worst game purchase I ever made, right behind paying $50 for Civ5 (which is just worse than Civ4).
    @Dazzu Could never find that one around me. :( But I would like that again. And there was another game only for the PC (not Mac) where you chose adventurers and created a village and based on what you chose, it attracted certain races. Like you could build a Halfling Bakery and it would attract Halflings, and whatnot, and it gave certain pluses to your village. I only ever played it at the house of a friend, so I don't remember much about it, but it seemed like a cross between Sim City and D&D- only there were monsters you had to kill and they would attack your town/village. (Looks it up on Google) Stronghold! That was it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stronghold_(1993_video_game)
    Well I was talking about the classic Gold Box version not the more recent abomination.
    The_New_RomanceLadyRhian
    edited August 2012
    @LadyRhian I actually had UA and Stronghold 93. They came in a 5 CD set with the first Dark Sun game, Dungeon Hack, and some 5th game that takes place on Mystara and you build an empire.

I don't remember what it was but it was my first big taste of D&D

It was called the AD&D Ultimate Fantasy Pack

For a reference picture: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Fantasy-Pack-Unlimited-Adventures/dp/B001CHVQ1M/ref=pd_sxp_f_i
    ProphetPX
  • The_Guilty_PartyThe_Guilty_Party Member Posts: 44
    I'd be down for some gold box remakes. I think they'd be a lot more costly though: there's basically no art assets to reuse, and access to the original code is both unlikely and unlikely to be helpful, since it's so old.

Honestly, a fan project with very slightly different names to avoid copyright (Woo, I rolled a 28 + 100 on my Strongness! Now to find the Puddle of Glowing!) would be a more appropriate form, I think.
    ProphetPX