Skip to content

lousy forum ?

CygnusCygnus Member Posts: 44
You telling me these people can't even afford a "see unread posts" button or a "mark all forums read" button?

Comments

• catheraainecatheraaine Member Posts: 52
    DBAD
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    I'd like to see you write an HTML forum from scratch, sir.

(if you have just throw me a link :D)
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    Well, this forum does kinda suffer in terms of functionality regardless of whether one is capable of html coding but whatever.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324

DBAD

• bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129
    ...Dbad? I need to get up on the lingo these days...

Anyways, does it really freaking matter? And I don't think these things cost money in themselves, so I doubt its a matter of 'affording' them.

Verdict: This forum is space hamster tested, space hamster approved.
  • oldsch00loldsch00l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 192
    This is really badly requested from the OP but i do miss a "see unread posts" of some sorts... Specially if the community here keeps on growing.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    i think it is bloated and disorganized. but if devs need to turn their attention from developing game to fix this then by all means, leave it as it is.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    edited July 2012
    Clicking on a thread you already visited will take you to the last post you read automatically... So where the problem's at?

Besides, nice community is better than just have all buttons in the world. And this community is freaking awesome! Yes, talking to you people ;)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Excellent forum.
    Lousy troll.
    Thread can be locked for all I care.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Is it that difficult to remember which posts one hasn't read? Yes I'm being sarcastic.
    Drugar said:

Excellent forum.
    Lousy troll.
    Thread can be locked for all I care.

Eh. The forums are workable but I wouldn't call them 'excellent'. There's always a case to be made for better usability. This just is very much the wrong way to make that case.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Not even close to being good. Where's the bells and whistles? Not even allowed a signature.
  • beobeo Member Posts: 143
    I wouldn't say lousy but people used to other forum software may certainly lack some familiar features.

It is kind of hard to read and follow it properly. Some equivalent of "View unread posts" and above all "View new posts" (displaying list of threads) would be really helpful. I'm not sure such extensions exist for vanillaforums but I'd imagine community requested/created them over the years. ("View your posts" and "Mark forums read" too)
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    You can view your posts though.

Go to your profile and click on Comments.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Hmm, as bad as it might sound, I do have to agree a little with the OP (however, I certainly don't agree on his attitude and the way in which he put forward his message). These forums could certainly use some more refining in functionality. Mind you, they work fine on my phone, but when I'm on my PC, I get utterly lost sometimes. I have to admit that even though the Bioware Social Network is a 'hive full of scum and villainy', as someone once defined it (and to be honest, I can't disagree after two years), it had a very appealing interface and it was easier to navigate. But that is where the comparison stops. I like the people on these forums better. :)
    edited July 2012
    I'm sorry, "View new posts" is of course under "Recent Discussions" :) (sorted from "Most Recent" down), slight problem (for me at least) is there's quite big number of Announcements that get in the way (they are always at the top even if not modified/posted in).

Could this be changed?

• CygnusCygnus Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2012
    Sorry but I've seen better forums slapped together by teenagers. This is the company's face to the public. Show some professionalism.
    Sorry but a forum like this is the company's face to the public and this one shows as a bit unprofessional. The pages don't even scale properly in IE or Firefox, there is a scroll bar at the bottom of the screen. And don't tell me how it looks fine for you, it should work for all resolutions and monitors running at least 720 lines.

And, uh, I can view my own posts? Wow, there's some awesome technology. That's why I come to a forum, to just read the threads that I post in.
    Why wasn't this your first post instead of
    You telling me these people can't even afford a "see unread posts" button or a "mark all forums read" button?
    ?

You would have, like, five times the support by now.
    beo said:

I'm sorry, "View new posts" is of course under "Recent Discussions" :) (sorted from "Most Recent" down), slight problem (for me at least) is there's quite big number of Announcements that get in the way (they are always at the top even if not modified/posted in).

Could this be changed?

I've been thinking about removing the General "Announcement" status from several of the older news threads, but that's a decision for one of the administrators and not me.
    Cygnus said:

And, uh, I can view my own posts? Wow, there's some awesome technology. That's why I come to a forum, to just read the threads that I post in. :-)

Snarky comments won't get you anywhere.
    Cygnus said:

Sorry but I've seen better forums slapped together by teenagers. This is the company's face to the public. Show some professionalism.

already requested a link :)

• CygnusCygnus Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2012
    Come on guys, have a sense of humor. I'm not looking to "get anywhere", I don't expect anyone to actually care enough to create a decent forum. Just commenting that a few simple conveniences would make the forum much more readable. And I don't see how "recent discussions" helps me to see which posts I have not read yet. It just shows the recent posts, whether i have read them or not.
    edited July 2012
    Cygnus said:

Come on guys, have a sense of humor. I'm not looking to "get anywhere", I don't expect anyone to actually care enough to create a decent forum. Just commenting that a few simple conveniences would make the forum much more readable.

If you're the only one who got the joke, does the possibility not exist that the humour issue is not ours?

As I already said, I have nothing against improving usability. The way you've tried to go about it rubs me the wrong way, though.
    And I don't see how "recent discussions" helps me to see which posts I have not read yet. It just shows the recent posts, whether i have read them or not.
    It works fine on my setup (win7/64,chrome). I see unread threads in bold white font and ones I've already seen in thin grey.
    I'm not suggesting it's the ideal way for this to work, just addressing your concern.
    Cygnus said:

Come on guys, have a sense of humor. I'm not looking to "get anywhere", I don't expect anyone to actually care enough to create a decent forum. Just commenting that a few simple conveniences would make the forum much more readable. And I don't see how "recent discussions" helps me to see which posts I have not read yet. It just shows the recent posts, whether i have read them or not.

You know, people keep saying this but on my PC threads that I've never entered are bolded (though sometimes it is hard to tell). Threads that I have already entered and that have new posts are bolded and have a little yellow notice saying how many new posts there are. Clicking on these topics also sends me to the first new post.

The forums can use some improvements, but I don't think this issue is that bad.

One other thing I would like to see, are coloured posts of members of the BGEE team. A different shade than the grey, or even just a BG logo on the top right portion of their post, to indicate they are a BGEE hard-working slave. :D

I'd like to see something like this too.
    edited July 2012
    Besides functionality issues, I like looks of the forum, even though I'm not so fond of dark themes.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I'd be very pleased if an Off Topic session was added, where people could discuss non-BG:EE related topics such as "Baldur's Gate, the Movie", Dragon Age 2 and other games, what mods are best for the old BG games or which R.A. Salvatore novel is the worst.

In my case, I have a question about how to "vacate" the fast-spell-slots in the main UI of Baldur's Gate 2, because I made the mistake of putting spells in there (via right-click) and now can't get it back to the default state again... where do I post this? Off Topic would be ideal.