Skip to content

So is Sarevok going to be a pure Fighter again or will they revamp him into a Fighter/Blackguard?

VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
Thoughts?

Comments

• wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    They are probably going to leave him as a true fighter, because he doesn't seem like the religious type to be a Blackguard.
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    When it comes to religious take, i have to disagree... i have play a non religious Fighter/Blackguard in Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2.
    However i do agree about him not being a Blackguard in general because Sarevok's never relies on any type of magic to wins and all his buffs are from his badass armor and sword.
    Blackguards on the other hand rely heavy on casting buff and summons to have a chance to win
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    Personally I love the Sarevok in ToB as a reference. I think he works well as a pure fighter and should stay that way.

He would probably have a few blackguard friends in Baldurs Gate 1 though
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    edited July 2012
    When it comes to religious take, i have to disagree... i have play a non religious Fighter/Blackguard in Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2.
    However i do agree about him not being a Blackguard in general because Sarevok's never relies on any type of magic to wins and all his buffs are from his badass armor and sword.
    Blackguards on the other hand rely heavy on casting buff and summons to have a chance to win
    NWN gutted a lot of small things about the P&P ruleset in terms of cutting down on requirements and such. One of the things they got rid of is that the Blackguard class is specifically devoted to an evil deity, pantheon, or force.

They also have only very minimal access to spellcasting, relying mainly on the aforementioned badassery as well as a healthy dose of trickery and deceit.
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    ^I would agree adding a specialty style not available for class choices would be great, Sarevok needs to be a little more special than the rest of the Bhaalspawns as he used to kill them at his whim.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    imajasjam said:

Sarevok's ToB biography states that he was trained as a "death bringer" when he was younger, which is apparently a specific fighting style. A specific Death bringer kit would be appropriate to him, otherwise he should stay a pure fighter.

Doesn't he have a random chance instagib attack in throne of bhaal anyway?

Yes, although Sarevok has the Fighter class, he's actually a Deathbringer and has that instagib passive.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Sarevok is a Deathbringer.
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    I forgot about the deathbringer thing. Man... has it been that long since i played...
  • XezmeraudeXezmeraude Member Posts: 91
    They should make him a Deathbringer. Cannonly that is what he is. Not a fighter.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

They should make him a Deathbringer. Cannonly that is what he is. Not a fighter.

²

Just make it a unique locked kit for him, and it's done.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited November 2012
    Actually, I can't seem to find any references to the Deathbringer Assault special attack other than the link I posted above. I'll summon our resident AD&D expert @LadyRihan to cast more light on this matter.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    ^ Thanks!
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Apparently the Deathbringer kit is non-canon, modder stuff.
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/npckit/deathbringer.php

Deathstalker is probably canon, described in dragon magazine #322
    http://index.rpg.net/display-article.phtml?articleid=21326
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Ninja'd! :)
    So, nothing like the Deathbringer Assault attack and weapon ability ever existed in canon AD&D?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I suspect they'll leave him as a fighter in the same way they will not make kivan an archer.

I'm still going to put in a request that blackguards, including dorn, can use the +5 unholy greatsword that is dropped by a githyanki assassin who is after the silver sword.
    I am perfectly fine with Sarevok not acquiring any kit if it is not canon. I was merely after P&P truth ;-)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @AndreaColumbo Nope. No Deathbringer Kit in canon stuff. At least, not in the stuff that I have. And I have a ton.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I think that a decent upgrade to Soul Reaver could do the trick @ajwz. Soul Reaver is a evil sword by any standards but without a demon's touch on it yet, a blackguard (or Dorn) should be able to upgrade it with the demon to whom main char/Dorn serves.