Skip to content

BG2:EE likes to crash

zupskyzupsky Member Posts: 126
edited November 2013 in Fixed
Game crashes for me pretty frequently, like once per half an hour. It crashes randomly, without apparent reason. I'm attaching few files that I've found in crash folder.
My setup is:
* Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1
* CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8900 @ 2.33 GHz
* GPU: Ati Radeon HD 3800
BONUS BUG!
Once game crashed while quick saving, and after loading that save world went trough something like a 'reset'. Maps had again fogs of war, few quests I had to do again, monsters respawned, and Galean took me to his house again so my journal went to chapter 3.
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• TropikTropik Member Posts: 12
    My game crashes at Black Pit after I defeat the Ravager cant continue the game.
  • yaballayaballa Member Posts: 41
    My game crashed when i left it running all night long and once randomly inside the dialog.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Yup.. I also experienced 3 crashes so far, but each at another location and it didn't happen again at the same location after restart/reload.
  • CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73
    edited November 2013
    I too am experiencing random crashes, every hour or so. The game just closes without warning. I never had this issue with BG:EE, this is something new.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Same goes for me, though I can usually play for hours at the time. Have seen some strange "resets", like people getting full health after loading up after a crash.
  • FlauschigFlauschig Member Posts: 84
    Game crashed 2 times on the first Blackquard NPC tempel quest
  • cab5392cab5392 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    I completed the first circus tent quest, the one where you first meet Aerie early in the game. After recruting her to my party, I later got a quest to go see Quayle. I put that off for a bit, until I was in chapter 4.

Upon returning to the circus tent and entering it(amidst chapter 4), it brought me back to its original state as an illusion world made by kahla (sp?) Upon completing it for a second time, kahla would not speak with me, nor would the quayle jelly say anything other than to stop bothering him. I was trapped in the tent with no exit, with npcs that won't talk to me, making it impossible to leave the tent without loading a previous game.

Each successive load reproduces the bugged tent, making it impossible for me to speak to Quayle.

Edit: I also recall nearly the entire waukeens promenade map "resetting" earlier in the game. All of my previously explored fog of war areas were "refogged"
  • YozZzZzYozZzZz Member Posts: 22
    It crashes with me as well - it was especially noticeable in Saradush.
    My System is:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit - Service Pack 1
    CPU: Intel Core i5 3210M @ 2,5GHz
    GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000
    RAM: 4 GB DDR3
  • JoviwanJoviwan Member Posts: 28
    I also experience random crashing.
    Win7 Ult
    i7 sandy bridge 3.3
    Radeon 6970
    8 GB DDR3
  • MrDarthMrDarth Member Posts: 5
    Same here. The game so far crashed on me 4 times. Once in Irenicus prison, once in Waukeen, and twice in the slaver compound, each time, when I had it almost completely cleared out... Destroyed my save once too.
  • cab5392cab5392 Member Posts: 1
    I just ended up restarting my game and deleting the save file.

To help with a solution, I believe it may have been cause by bypassing getting the "sword key" to free Aerie. The first time through I simply left her there, and proceeded to kill Kalah, then added her to my group. My second run through I released her properly and haven't had a problem since.
  • prophet1prophet1 Member Posts: 172
    Did your game at any point crash when saving? There are reports of similar things (finished quests re-emerging) happening after loading such a save.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24200/pretty-serious-game-breaking-bug
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Need a bit more information as I have not had a single game crash with the release version. I am well into ToB now, been to Amkethran several times.

Win 7 Ult x64
    i5 3570
    GeForce 660ti
    32 GB ram

Are you running ANY mods at all? Anything, there was a portrait pack that was causing crashes. Also if you have done any Shadowkeepering at all, was always buggy and could cause problems. Think EEKeeper is safer.
  • zupskyzupsky Member Posts: 126
    No mods and no shadowkeeper.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    zupsky said:

Game crashes for me pretty frequently, like once per half an hour. It crashes randomly, without apparent reason. I'm attaching few files that I've found in crash folder.
    My setup is:
    BONUS BUG!
    Once game crashed while quick saving, and after loading that save world went trough something like a 'reset'. Maps had again fogs of war, few quests I had to do again, monsters respawned, and Galean took me to his house again so my journal went to chapter 3.

That sounds like some antivirus program messing with the saving process. If areas got 'reset' it means they were not saved in a saved game. Check for your disk space too.
    Save was messed up because game crashed during saving, and I don't think that antivirus is responsible for random crashes.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Having a crash once every two hours. I guess its a memory leak due to very long play sessions(I played 14 hours today). But at one occasion it seemed like an area or quest problem - game crashed twice after rescuing Viconia from fanatics, with a noticeable slow motion for a few seconds before it.

Win 7 Ult x64
    Phenom x4 955
    GeForce 660ti
    6 GB ram
    I also have sometimes slowdowns before game crashes, but it isnt too often. And I didn't have any problems with Viconia
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    I am also getting frequent, random game crashes. Often seems to slow down just prior to the crash. I don't know exactly how often, but it's happened 6 or 7 times in the past 5 hours. No apparent connection to area/quest activity, as it has happened all through Chapter 2 so far. Setup is below:

Windows 7 Pro SP1
    Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.8GHz
    Dual Radeon HD 5970
    12GB RAM
    500+ GB free disk space
  • mforwwmforww Member Posts: 78

zupsky said:

My setup is:
    BONUS BUG!

That sounds like some antivirus program messing with the saving process. If areas got 'reset' it means they were not saved in a saved game. Check for your disk space too.
    I'm having a similar issue and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with an antivirus program messing with the saving process (running AVG antivirus for what it's worth). This is because it seems to reset EVERYTHING in the entire game, not just the areas that I've explored in between my last save and the time of the crash.

Allow me to reiterate: this bug is making me lose EVERY map marker in the entire game. It respawns EVERY single enemy and NPC in the ENTIRE game. Some things seems to progress as normal (like NPC relations). I keep my gear and xp level and party. However, every other NPC just resets.

Win 7 x64 Home Premium
    i5 m450 cpu @ 2.4 ghz
    Gefore GTS 360M
  • nozshandnozshand Member Posts: 3
    I just experienced the exact same bug, the whole promenade map was refogged and I'm now stuck in the tent without a save to load.

I haven't had any crashes what so ever
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    I've had a few occasions where the game was hanging and wasn't responding for more than 15 seconds, with the windows spinner showing up, but then it continued running as normal.
    No mods installed, no EE keeper. No antivirus (I like living on the edge).

@Cuv I do have 1 crash. If I recall correctly it happened while quick saving. Let me take a huge dump here.
  • JoviwanJoviwan Member Posts: 28
    Cuv said:

Need a bit more information as I have not had a single game crash with the release version. I am well into ToB now, been to Amkethran several times.

Win 7 Ult x64
    i5 3570
    GeForce 660ti
    32 GB ram

Are you running ANY mods at all? Anything, there was a portrait pack that was causing crashes. Also if you have done any Shadowkeepering at all, was always buggy and could cause problems. Think EEKeeper is safer.

I'm running IEP Banter, romantic encounters, and one manually tweaked .2da to change weapon proficiency bonuses. Ive also done some EE-keeping. However, the crashes existed before I installed any mods or made any tweaks.

For me, it happens after anywhere from an hour to three hours of playtime. Sometimes I'll alt tab while paused, and a few minutes later discover the game vanished entirely. Othertimes, I'll hit enter or select a dialogue to advance a conversation, and the act causes the game to evaporate. It's also happened when I exit a menu (like inventory or profile).

Today I've also had two non-evaporating crashes today (as in, the game locks up and windows says it's exploded), one of which produced a .dmp, but I dunno that it's related to this problem.
  • bdkinneybdkinney Member Posts: 4
    A lot of the crashing is coming from the established memory leak(s)...annoying but able to be overlooked (for a while). I just save a lot.

The resetting NPC thing is something different...and game breaking. mforww, I would suggest you delete the installation and re-install. I know that's not what you want to hear but it sounds like something got corrupted, as this is not a widely reported problem. Good luck...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    So I've noticed that the game starts out about 100MB of memory usage, then just steadily creeps up by 300-700k per second even when nothing is happening (e.g. characters standing around in a small room with no monsters/npcs around). Not sure at what point it crashes, but it's at 520MB and counting as I write this.

P.S. I'm not running any mods nor have I used Shadowkeeper et. al.; just straight install.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited November 2013
    I've had several recent crashes as well, many of which seem to occur during Dorn's quest dialogues.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual-Core Processor TK-42 (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
    ATI Raedon HD 3200 Graphics

No mods aside from a couple of items and original BG1 casting sounds.
    Post edited by Mortianna on
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    edited November 2013
    I've crashed a handful of times but only reporting this because of the spectacular consequences.

Anyway, let's do the specs and circumstances first:
    Win7proSP1
    8GB RAM, I know it's DDR3
    Intel i5-2500k CPU 3.3ghz
    GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
    Some EEkeeper and CLUAConsole tinkering has been done, but no mods

And this particular circumstance: Zoning out of the drow temple after the ritual

See the general forum if you're interested in the spectacular consequences - they're not of technical interest.
    Post edited by enqenq on
  • kheroskheros Member Posts: 13
    I crash ALOT on outside map of De'Arnise. Mods insalled are BG2Tweaks and SCS, did use EEkeeper to make my fighter/mage into fighter/illusionist and have imported her from BG1EE with bg2tweaks installed.

my specs are no different from anyone elses, and I can see the amount of RAM it uses goes up to 1.5 and soon after it slows Down and crashes.

Those are the 2 types of crashes I experience.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    mforww said:

zupsky said:

I'm having a similar issue and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with an antivirus program messing with the saving process (running AVG antivirus for what it's worth). This is because it seems to reset EVERYTHING in the entire game, not just the areas that I've explored in between my last save and the time of the crash.

Allow me to reiterate: this bug is making me lose EVERY map marker in the entire game. It respawns EVERY single enemy and NPC in the ENTIRE game. Some things seems to progress as normal (like NPC relations). I keep my gear and xp level and party. However, every other NPC just resets.

Win 7 x64 Home Premium
    i5 m450 cpu @ 2.4 ghz
    Gefore GTS 360M
    Party, gear, xp are saved in the .gam file.
    Map markers, npcs, area variables, items are all saved within the area.
    Areas are kept on the disc in a temporary 'cache' and compressed into a single file at the time of creating a saved game.
    The area files then get compressed into a single file (.sav).
    If these area files couldn't be written, then you will see exactly the symptom you reported: party is intact, but areas revert their fog of war, map markers reset, area npcs reset.
    My first guess was that something prevents the area files to be rewritten into this cache (like disk space or overzealous antivirus program).
    Since this seems to be more widespread than i thought before, i agree this shouldn't be an antivirus problem, because then we would get reports about BGEE too.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited November 2013
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24200/pretty-serious-game-breaking-bug

@Avenger_teambg: Based upon your description, what you've got is an unintended consequence of an instability. The root cause issue is the crash, not the loss of the game. The game loss, based upon the description you're providing of how this works, is understandable. The only way you're going to stop that is if you "spawn off" the save to an external application that is not associated with BG...say an operating system shell script of some sort.

The root issue is the crash. If you crash on save whatever process is merging the "cached" area files into the .sav file isn't going to complete. Assuming your cache is transitive (it's not read/managed upon opening the game and is instead just overwritten), anything that keeps you from properly saving the game causes the described issue.

The memory leak mentioned on this thread definitely would seem to be the right place to look at for the crash. This would fit all of the variables being thrown out there since it does NOT seem to be related to a single zone, area or configuration. The concept is easy to make fit around the facts: Game has a memory leak, game becomes unstable due to expanded memory requirements. Eventually the game runs out of memory and the program crashes. If that happens during a save, the save process does not complete and the corruption as you identify above comes to pass.

This means that a saved game with repo steps won't help, because it's not the content that's causing the crash, it's an out of memory condition that will only occur over time.

While not elegant, a quick fix would be to drop a "starting save" file into the cached area and as a last step in the save process delete the starting save file. If, in the case of a crash, the starting save file is not removed and the game is re-opened, it then "knows" that what's sitting in the cache directory needs to be recovered and not ignored. As part of game initialization, something needs to check for the starting save file in the cache directory and if found it needs to go through the process of recovering/recreating the ".sav" file and attaching it to the last attempted game save.