Skip to content

What's with the entitlement?

KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
As I'm writing this, the most recent topic on this General Forum is 'lousy forum', which I suppose is a complaint about the forum system used. We've had complaints about the distribution system, the added content, the characters, the value of an Enhanced Edition, dozens of 'if X is not in, I'm not buying it' posts, and now there's even criticism aimed at the method through which we can discuss these things. Pretty much anything that can be criticized has been.

What's with the entitlement, seriously? A few months ago, we didn't even know this product would exist, and now they're bringing a modern, official version of a great classic to all kinds of platforms and fixing the multiplayer system. They're giving us bonus content to boot, and they're doing it for less money than what I usually spend at groceries. How quickly after these announcements do we suddenly feel we 'deserve' something?

This obviously isn't directed at everyone - plenty of interesting, supportive topics here. Neither should anything be exempt from criticism, especially if it can make a product better. But there's still a hugely negative vibe coming from so many posts. Come on guys, let's give the team a break and count our blessings.

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Stuff isn't perfect and people are definitely allowed to express their opinions and views, but people should avoid being childish while doing so.
  • drakerddrakerd Member Posts: 23
    Yea I agree. However, it's not just these forums. Go over to the Diablo 3 forums and observe the population of trolls over there. Really people just like to complain about anything. People seek out the negative and highlight it. The thing is, stuff can ALWAYS be improved upon. If the devs did nothing but make improvements until no improvements could be made, then the game would never launch. For me, I'm super excited about BG EE as I have already pre ordered it and I know I will enjoy the snot out of this amazing game again.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    It is in many peoples nature to complain. Were you to give them a five dollar bill from your pocket, they would complain that it isn't a ten.
    It is because in our society it is driven into children's skulls how special they are (it should also be emphasized that everyone else is special as well) they therefore grow up believing that life owes them. So when things are not specifically catered to their every whim, they tend to complain.
    If they gave this game away for free with 40 hours of extra gameplay, people would still find reason to complain.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2012
    I agree, I have myself thought about what you said Kenyon. Because I think players can feel entitled about some things. For example in BG: to a great story and to some aspects that are the soul of BG. (works for other games too) But that is it, entitlement beyond that is abusing the trust of the developers and not respecting the content and the team.
    For example that thread about black pits "is this a joke" its not a respectful way of saying I would prefer other kind of content.
    IMO players can feel entitled to "demand"/criticize content in or out (not legally of course) only when X game has for some reason been -reaped apart- (by new devs or publisher for example), which is NOT the case with BGEE...
    Post edited by Razor on
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    @Kenyon

Mate, if only I could press the like and agree button a thousand times! You have hit it on the head, why people feel the need to carry on like pork chops and bring ppl down is totally beyond me! It's all well and good for those types to say well if you don't like it, don't read it, the fact is though that if every third post is someone having a whine, you can't get away from it. I call for the mods to make a new section called "issues and gripes" so people that don't want to read about it don't have to. Also they wouldn't have to wade through it on the regular forum just to read the stuff they have an interest in.

*steps down off of soap box, puts megaphone under arm and walks away*. ;)
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    I have to say this the best look I've seen on a forum or site out there, maybe thats all because I dont really spend time on the interwebs, but maybe not for nothing, I have made more posts here than ever.
  • GSMGSM Member Posts: 34
    Welcome to the lousy generation of gamers. Almost every forum I visit has people complaining about every little thing. Mostly stupid things.

Honestly, the idiocy I have come across is outstanding. (I personally love the look of these forums)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Entitlement often comes with liking something. Stems from the "I could do better" train of thought I believe, which is hardly ever realistic.

Trolls gotta troll, haters gotta hate, whiners gotta whine. So far, this forum is one of the best I've been to so it doesn't bother me much. At least it's not a Blizzard forum.

I love you all! In a manly, dwarven way of course.
  • AndrewRogueAndrewRogue Member Posts: 72
    To be fair, as a customer (or potential customer, I guess, since I have not pre-ordered my dozen copies yet <_<), you do have some degree of entitlement allowed. After all, they are releasing a product, you are purchasing it. It isn't like Overhaul is our friend and doing us a favor.

Nevertheless, I agree with the sentiment behind your post.

The trick is to express your problems in a mature, rational manner.

And if you don't, you're a crybaby meanie head. =(
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Stuff isn't perfect and people are definitely allowed to express their opinions and views, but people should avoid being childish while doing so.
    ^This. :)
  • KienaKiena Member Posts: 4
    drakerd said:

Yea I agree. However, it's not just these forums. Go over to the Diablo 3 forums and observe the population of trolls over there. Really people just like to complain about anything. People seek out the negative and highlight it. The thing is, stuff can ALWAYS be improved upon. If the devs did nothing but make improvements until no improvements could be made, then the game would never launch. For me, I'm super excited about BG EE as I have already pre ordered it and I know I will enjoy the snot out of this amazing game again.

I think Diablo 3 shouldn't be brought up for several reasons:
    [spoiler]
    • The criticism on those forums is based on a released game.
    • BG:EE, which doesn't lose content and doesn't change the system in very unpredictable ways is almost guaranteed not to disappoint fans of its earlier incarnation who actually read that they won't witness a technological miracle on the graphics front.
    • Content and rules with enough support could be changed by modders as the team actively supported them already.
    • There is really a huge price difference, even more considering the CE, and those who bought it but expected mostly improvements (including me) can only hope the game will once raise up to their expectation without requiring further investment.
    • A rather suitable analogy I can think of would be if BG3 included:
      • automatically distributed stats
      • a linear series of quests only, with areas opening only when the next quest is started
      • no reason, or even limited ways for us go back to previously visited places
      • in every chapter a somewhat better set of the same equipment
      • major opponents who ruin the atmosphere that still lingers from the previous episodes
    • Flaws of another game don't belong here in my opinion, unless as a warning. (Sorry if only the first part applies to my previous point.)
    I never posted on those forums, because I felt that others expressed my concerns more than well enough, and I don't think everyone, including those who properly described their complaints, and even tried to come up with ideas for making the game better, should be labelled trolls.[/spoiler]

As someone who doesn't use facilities like this often, I appreciate the forum and like how it lets the developers, players, modders provide support for each other in improving and fixing parts of the game. I find several of its features very nice as well.

Regarding the topics with negative and already dissatisfied tone, I think their authors should have waited until the release, before expressing exaggerated opinions about new content or mods that won't be included despite their wish, because it's unjust at this stage, and based only on partial informations.

I would be grateful only for an engine update, but official fixes and additional content, even romances in the first game go way beyond that.

I hope many existing and new mods will also be available for this edition, including most, if not all of those that some people wished for in the vanilla (but still won't be forced on people who wouldn't like them).

My wish would be only to be able to install, delete, or even disable mods without external software or methods that make me feel like hacking on the game and likely introducing unforeseen issues with the original content, repairable only by a completely new install.

Your a silly poo poo head!
  • jmakula87jmakula87 Member Posts: 7
    Yeah, I just stay away from the obvious troll topics. No point in feeding, and no point in getting frustrated. There have definitely been some topics that have had very mature responses on here. If somebody who is frustrated with something but are capable of both 'talking' and 'listening' then I will gladly join in the discussion.

I think the issue might be less entitlement and more just people not knowing how to have a mature discussion.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    I suppose I can easily live with BG EE not being exactly tailor-made for me personally. Especially if the plans are to do the same to BG 2. Let's just accept BG EE for what it is, and if it isn't exactly to everyone's liking, maybe they'll fix it when the time comes to BG 2 (EE).
    BEST POST EVER!
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    @Coriander yup, I agree that critisism is good for all games, but it has to be constructive and well thoughtout. As you said random tantrums help no one and can drown out the useful posts if there are enough fo them...
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Agree, I look forward to play this game again.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Welcome to the internet. I'm of the strong opinion that complaints and entitlement have been a part of human nature for the last six hundred thousand years (or since whenever man began to walk upright). I'm wondering why the observation of that fact has recently gained so much popularity, it's nary a new thing.

My tip: Just ignore it. Or argue constructively.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    (Disclaimer: I really love the game, I am super excited about all the enhancements suggested so far, there is not one single addition that I do not agree with, I have already preordered it, and I have a huge amount of respect for the developers for working hard to arrange this release, and from what I can tell, are obviously huge fans of the game too)

What a load of rubbish OP.

First off, you should never use the phrase "entitled" to describe a games fans. Developers putting out shoddy, unfinished sequels have used the word to death, and it has a loaded meaning now, particularly with developers like bioware and the controversy behind dragon age 2, mass effect 3 and kotor.

Secondly, ignoring this there is always going to be a negative vibe after an announcement. That doesn't mean that the majority of people aren't excited, but if there is something you don't like about what was announced, then obviously this is the only time people have had to come on to the forums and express their opinions, since we have had virtually NO information about the game itself up until this point.

Thirdly, threads like this are MUCH WORSE than threads complaining about some aspect they don't like about it. This is just one huge circlejerk about how having a positive opinion (or supportive thread like you suggest) on something is somehow BETTER than having a negative opinion, and threads like this will encourage people to shut up, not say what they think, and make the feedback incredibly misleading, which might not hurt but is definitely not going to help in the development or sales of the game.

Ugh.. It really make tired to see the cancerous spread of reddit style posting spread on to every forum on the internet.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    Basically? It's the internet.
    I don't think it's quite that bad. This thread, and those like it, are spawned from people who are sick to death of all the negativity. I'm a pretty positive person in day to day life but when every second thread I read is a Nasty gripe, over silly stuff, it gets me down. Read enough of them and of course you are going to feel like posting a negative topic of your own. And ,yes, fair enough, people all have differences of opinion and yes with each post about people having differences of opinion both sides devolve into " it's my right to speak my mind and you don't have the authority to tell me I'm wrong and blah blah blah! " but at the end of it all, it gets us nowhere and for the most part the negative posts start to out weigh the positives because both sides are passionate about their points of view, to the exclusion of all else! The real problem is not the fact that people are arguing this way or that way, it's the fact that they are so passionate that they are unwwilling to even consider the other point of view. I've said it before, if people want the game they'll buy it. If they don't they won't. There is no need for us all to get into great big troll fights over it.

• Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629

Right...May I ask why? :/
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    edited July 2012
    Haters gonna hate.
    Complainers gonna complain.
    Gamers gonna Game.
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    Arcalian said:

Basically? It's the internet.

I've often wondered what the internet will eventually come to. As of now, there is some serious anonymity, making it so that we can all be jerks and easily get away with it. If things get really bad, we sign in under a different name and use a different picture and no one knows. I wonder if, one day, we'll all have a permanent profile that links to all our online activity, making us recognizable and accountable... just thinking out loud.

Right...May I ask why? :/

Was just kidding around